• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 4, 2013
    Three questions:

Any muzzle brake recommendations for an AR10?

Is there a standard thread pattern for 308 AR muzzles?

Is it worth dropping extra cash on brake/flash hider hybrid devices?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Non-7.62x39 .30 caliber barrels are largely standardized around 5/8 x 24 in the U.S. at least, but always check manufacturer specs. I think muzzle brakes help a lot with taming recoil in a .308 AR, but they are very loud. If you decide you want to use one, first decide whether or not you plan on suppressing the rifle. If so, make sure you buy a muzzle device that is compatible with your intended suppressor.

If not, the three I like best on my .308 AR are:

1.) Precision Armament M4-72 severe duty compensator
    2.) VG6 gamma .308
    3.) The PWS FSC

Definitely consider Precision Armament's accu-washer system when you install whatever you choose. Also, you're going to want to double up on earpro if you aren't already doing so.

P.S. - best of both worlds: suppressor that mounts on a muzzle brake.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    To all previous posters, has anyone noticed a difference in accuracy groupings with the brake as opposed to without? For example, I have the factory brake on my Ruger RPR .308, and would like my groups to be better. Still getting “approximately” sub-MOA with the brake @100 yds, but I can get easy 1/2 MOA and under without. Read lots of reviews that said the Ruger brake is famous for that, so I’m probably not keeping it.

I recently got a DPMS LR-SASS .308, and I’m thinking about changing the factory Panther flash hider for a decent brake. Haven’t had it out on the range yet, but if a brake will negatively affect the accuracy I’ll can that idea & stay stock set-up. How’s everyone doing accuracy-wise with their AR-308 brakes?

Jul 4, 2013
    I'm really liking the M4-72. How much worse is the concussion?

And I discovered the necessity of doubling up when I put a brake on my AK. The combo of plugs and active earpro actually works really well though in terms of situational awareness.

And anyone with experience with the hybrid brake/flash hiders?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    5/8 x 24 is standard on NATO/US 308 or 7.62, including 7.62x39 (Galil ACE or AR platform).

Thumbs up to Jerry Miculek brake, and also JEC Customs brakes. I have both. My rifle is mildly more accurate with the brake...but maybe I dont flinch. Both do a fantanstic job, but I would not want to be next to me.

Good review here for a lot of 30 cal brakes: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/jeremy-s/308-muzzle-brake-test/

and here for 556: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/10/jeremy-s/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-3/

I believe the Precision Armament M4-72 gets a good rating in this series.

I also have the Venom Defense for 556 (second article)- looks good and does a great job. Not sure they make this design for 7.62.

If you are having accuracy issues, it is plausible the threads are not concentric.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017

And I discovered the necessity of doubling up when I put a brake on my AK. The combo of plugs and active earpro actually works really well though in terms of situational awareness.
    I don't think the concussion is bad at all as the shooter. My range buddy, who typically shoots near or next to me, has let me know that the concussion for people to either side of the shooter is "impressive." I am not especially sensitive to concussion, though. It starts getting to me if I am shooting indoors and am sandwiched between shooters with loud brakes on rifles, but that is about it.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD

Attachments

• 20170611_172537.jpg
      20170611_172537.jpg
      44.6 KB · Views: 420
    • 20170116_211524.jpg
      20170116_211524.jpg
      35.3 KB · Views: 398

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore

And anyone with experience with the hybrid brake/flash hiders?

The M4-72 works great. The concussion will annoy the person next to you, but most brakes will.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Is it worth dropping extra cash on brake/flash hider hybrid devices?
    There have been a couple articles doing relatively scientific testing on this subject, and it turns out that, as you might expect, effectiveness as a brake/comp is inversely correlated to performance as a flash hider. Further, the A2 FH is VERY good at its job, and you will not get significantly better performance without using a suppressor, at least on a dollar-value basis.

Personally, I'm not into compromises... if I'm gonna run a brake, I'm gonna run the best-functioning brake I can hunt up for my budget. And if I want a FH, I'm gonna just buy something that does a great job of hiding flash.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I don't think Amazon still has them but I have one of these for an AR and one for my 308 Ruger American.
    Bang for the buck muzzle brake, it is great value. Its probably machined overseas though.
    Here is one on ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2x28-223...hash=item4665fc0c19:m:mWTxbg9K2Kgh1skuZIn14pA

that is basically the Amazon one in the truthaboutguns reviews.

You can get this for 308 or 5.56/AR

truthaboutguns did some comparisons on recoil,
    Just search google
    muzzle brake shootout 308
    and
    muzzle brake shootout

Now, if you want to spend money, you can get an EffinA tunable comp. I have one for 5.56 but I have yet to mount it and try it out.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I went with the apa lil bastard brake on my dpms style308 build and other the the concussion to the side it works great. It also is easy to install because it uses a nut to time it so there is no crush Warsher. The recoil is comparable to a ar15 in my opinion.

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    To those AR10-experts - which complete AR10 would you recommend for someone who would be buying his first AR10? I would love to hear from the experts on the forum before I make a decision. And of course, it must be something acceptable in the Peoples Republic of Maryland.
    Thanks
    John

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom