• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    I recently was sorting some items and found a No-Go gauge from a rifle I had re-chambered back in 2002. Would a gunsmith ream a chamber just using a no-go gauge or was he just sending it along for maintenance. I have no idea whether the reamer he used was a rental but PTG said no-go was Midway part no.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Either a mistake or he didn't plan to use it again. Either way you probably paid for it anyway.
    What's the SAMMI Spec for a "NO GO" Gauge? Oh! There isn't one? Really? Way!. It's whatever the gauge maker decides it should be.

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    I think, since the rechambering was from 8mm-Mauser to 8mm-06AI he had plenty of no-go guages. In retrospect you couldn't rechamber with a no-go only and I'm not even sure if a separately marked gauge from 30-06 was needed.

I originally wanted this for safari but ended up using 35 Whelen.

Last edited:

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    No, It's marked 8mm-06 Ack No-Go then PTG and part #. PTG says it is a Midway #. I will take some measurements of the case.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ah Ha !

If you'd gone with std 8mm-06 , he could have used a stg .30-06 No Go . For 8mm Ackley he'll probably never have need for it again , and I'm sure he charged you for it directly , or indirectly built into the fee for rechambering.

But now that you've teased us , spill the beans on your 8mm Ackley . Load development, velocities , accuracy, etc .

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    How's it shoot? Should have some pretty good thump. It would be interesting to see how the no-go 30-06 gauge reacts with the chamber. Some improved chambers will use the same no go gauge as the parent cartridge. Some go gauges for improved chambers are a little shorter to prevent the case from being crushed against the shoulder when the bolt is closed. So fire forming can occur at the junction of neck and chamber until the case is "blown out". There will only be a little contact there until the case is formed.

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    Shoots very well, and ballistically superior to the .35 Whelen I had to take to Africa (they don't accept mis-stamped ammo). Built on a Yugo M48 mauser.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Shoots very well, and ballistically superior to the .35 Whelen I had to take to Africa (they don't accept mis-stamped ammo). Built on a Yugo M48 mauser.
    I like stuff like that. Some of the first rifles I built were on the shorter Yugo action. I still have two of them. I went 30-06 with the first, no problems with mag length, drives tacks, too easy to shoot but on the heavy side because of medium wgt. sporter barrel.
    The other still in 8mm, thought about 8mm 06 but chrome lined bore and there was nothing wrong with it to begin with.
    Action a little sticky from heat treat I guess but a good looking deer rifle. I used to just shoot the hell out of it when ammo was cheap and the damn thing looks the same as it did minus the sport job. I had another one too years ago and sold it off just to clear some stuff out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom