• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    I picked up my DC Concealed Carry Pistol License this morning (day 105).

I called Ofc. King and he said I was approved this morning. He gave me the option of him mailing it to me but I decided to go pick it up. The mail delivery in my area has been a little sketchy. Ofc. King's a nice guy and it was good to meet him. I have no doubt that it would have taken a lot longer had he not pushed it.

Everything went smoothly and took about 1 1/2 hours. A guy dropped off an application while I was waiting so people are applying.:thumbsup:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Although technically revolvers don't seem to be covered by the ammunition limits as outlined in the regs.

Just my non legal opinion based on the legal definition of pistol.

Maybe DC doesn't know the difference.

But IANAL

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Although technically revolvers don't seem to be covered by the ammunition limits as outlined in the regs.

Just my non legal opinion based on the legal definition of pistol.

Maybe DC doesn't know the difference.

But IANAL

Explain?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The DC reg on maximum ammo carry and two reloads uses the word PISTOL. By BATFE definition a pistol is not a revolver. So if you take the strict definition, it would seem the ammo limit does not apply if you are carrying a revolver. But perhaps DC doesn't know the difference and would prosecute anyone with more than 20 rounds no matter the type of handgun. It would not be the first time DC has worded their regs or statutes to cause confusion.

What are your thoughts? I'd like Rascal's opinion as well if he cares to weigh in.

I attached the jpeg of the reg.

Attachments

• ammo.jpg
      ammo.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 247
    • batfe1.jpg
      batfe1.jpg
      65.4 KB · Views: 253
    • batf2.jpg
      batf2.jpg
      55.3 KB · Views: 259
    • batfe3.jpg
      batfe3.jpg
      32.4 KB · Views: 253

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the BATFE definition of a pistol based on the 68 GCA

DC seems to have worded the statute vaguely. Is a revolver a pistol? Not according to the BATFE and the GCA 1968. Both are handguns and both are firearms. But a pistol is not a revolver according to the definitions.

According to the definition, the DC permit only allows carry of a pistol.

So who's right?

Attachments

• pistol 1.jpg
      pistol 1.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 255
    • pistol 2.jpg
      pistol 2.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 256

Hattie

Sep 18, 2012
    DC Code 7-2501.01:

(12) “Pistol” means any firearm originally designed to be fired by use of a single hand or with a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Got a letter from the MPD. They want ANOTHER 90 days because of the “extremely high demand “ or some such BS, per code section yada yada yada.

Sent from my bunker using Tapatalk Pro

DC45

Mar 8, 2018
    DC
    Wow, that’s brutal. I’m interested to see the numbers on how many permits they wind up issuing after these first few months.

I just remembered Lanier’s quote from immediately after Scullin issued the stay in 2015, when few had applied:

“Our residents have been pretty clear this is not something that they wanted. A very small number of D.C. residents have applied for concealed carry.”
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/19/dc-concealed-carry-dc-police-chief-downplays-rulin/

Ok...

doublins

Dec 16, 2015
    AA County
    For anyone keeping track of the backlog/wait, I applied the end of November and just received my DC permit last friday, just shy of 5 months.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Wow, that’s brutal. I’m interested to see the numbers on how many permits they wind up issuing after these first few months.

I just remembered Lanier’s quote from immediately after Scullin issued the stay in 2015, when few had applied:

“Our residents have been pretty clear this is not something that they wanted. A very small number of D.C. residents have applied for concealed carry.”
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/19/dc-concealed-carry-dc-police-chief-downplays-rulin/

Ok...

Bet that number would be higher if the permit were 25 bucks and any 8 hour training certificate sufficed for training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom