• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    The one advantage I see to the Glock is the mag capacity, but the Kel Tec kills when it comes to price. I have read reviews on both and they both have great reviews (aside from the first gen PF9's). Does anyone own both and can give me the pros and cons for both? The price tag pulls me to the Kel Tec. I need a small pistol. Minimum of 9mm. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    HHM

Spoon

Oct 25, 2009
    Dundalk
    Glocks are glocks... and shoot like a champ regardless of model... I recently paid for a Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm... Shot my brothers and really liked it...

Pick it up next week

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Glocks are glocks... and shoot like a champ regardless of model... I recently paid for a Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm... Shot my brothers and really liked it...

Pick it up next week

I love my Glocks. Never had a problem with them, but the price of the Kel Tec draws me that way. Money is tight now since my wife and I are trying to buy a house.

I have shot XD's and I hated them. They just aren't right for me. I hate the fact that that they have a ton of safeties. I am buying this as a carry gun. When I want to use it, I just want to pull the trigger and make it go bang.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Would you guys carry a revolver over a semi? I have always wanted a snub Ruger SP101, but capacity is what keeps me away from them. .357 in a compact package is tough to beat, though.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Would you guys carry a revolver over a semi? I have always wanted a snub Ruger SP101, but capacity is what keeps me away from them. .357 in a compact package is tough to beat, though.

Until you shoot one. I had an SP101, great gun, sold it, kind of regretted doing it until I got the GP100. I have and carry the PF9. Fits in my pocket, 7+1 of 9mm, I don't practice with 9mm +P but it shoots them well enough at 15 yards that I can cover a mag full with my hand. Trigger is like a double-action revolver. It's the only plastic frame pistol I own.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    What about the compact M&P9? Any opinions? It priced about the same as the Glock. I have shot the full size M&P and thought it was a great gun.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    most gunfights occur with 3 feet person to person soooooo with that being said if your need more than 5-6 .357 your not doing it right.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Depends on how you dress I think. If you dress light and close fitting, it'd be much harder to conceal the glock. But if you dress pretty baggy, I think the extra couple rounds couldn't hurt, especially if you snuck a g19 or 17 mag with ya :D. I will say though, the one I'm looking at is the pf9.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    okay, lessons learned...
    1) concealed carry is very personal and has as much to do with your lifestyle as anything else, so take other people's suggestions with a grain of salt.
    2) You won't carry something that's not comfortable.
    3) To make carrying comfortable, you need to invest in a good holster belt. Carrying my p99 with a good, reinforced holster belt is easy. With a worn out old leather belt, it sucks and is uncomfortable. The gun doesn't feel secure, prints more, and the belt has to be tighter for things to feel right if it's not a good belt.
    4) a good holster, paired with a good belt makes big guns comfortable and extremely concealable. Of course, holster choice is a very personal thing too. Some people like iwb in something like a crossbreed supertuck/king tuck/ intruder/ minotaur...Others like owb carry in something like a snapslide..although owb you may want retention in a safariland als or nice leather thumbreak of some kind.
    5) Are you going to dress around the gun? Are you going to wear button-up shirts loose, or vests, or a light jacket? Are you going to wear darker t-shirts and call it a day?

I started with a p99 and dicked around with belt and holster options until the drawer was full and i had a crossbreed snapslide. This gun is a winter-carry and i'll have bigger shirts with a coat on most of the time. In the summer, the handle prints more than i'd like under light shirts and it's still pretty heavy.

Next, I went with a pf9. I was going to go with a kahr pm9 like alucard's, but I didn't have the money or patience at the time since I wanted something for an upcoming vacation in florida. I was initially very pleased with the pf9...but noticed some big drawbacks over the kahr's. The bore axis is way higher, causing much more muzzle flip. The trigger isn't as nice...it's actually pretty damned terrible. It's fairly heavy and has a huuuuuge amount of overtravel. The rough overcast marks will bite if you don't cut them off and the bottom of the trigger bites your trigger finger when you shoot the thing. The kahr's is much better.

The finish isn't as nice. The only pf9s to consider are the hard chrome or duracoated. The stock black parked or blued finish will rust badly with carry. I had to end up stripping mine and refinishing it to avoid having to constantly hit it with eezox.

It's reliable...with an understanding. If I limp-wrist the gun at all, it will fail to feed the next round. It has enough ass to eject the spent casing, but not to move the slide far enough back to pick up the next cartridge. The result is pulling the trigger to have the hammer fall on an empty chamber. This typically happens when im using underpowered target ammo after about 100 or so shots when my hand and wrist start getting fatigued. It doesn't happen as often with hotter defensive loads, or if I keep my wrist locked...but was cause enough for me to go off looking for a replacement.

It is a beautiful gun to conceal. IWB, the thing goes completely away with shorts and a t-shirt. It's also pretty light, so it's more forgiving for various kinds of outfits. Tossed in a 1911fobus paddle holster(btw, many 1911 holsters work for the pf9), I can hang it on sweatpants or basketball shorts and feel comfortable with just the drawstring holding up my britches. I'd still MUCH rather get a pm9 or cm9 and may eventually pick up a pm9 to take over the pf-9's role as uber-concealable or BUG.

Recently, I was caught in a struggle between the g26genIV and m&p9c. I didn't like the feel of the gen3 26's, but the 4th gen felt pretty derned good. I didn't like the blade safety(i've shot lots of glocks in the past and have never really liked the feel of the trigger safety...it just bugs me for some reason). The g26 felt slightly easier to carry than the m&p, but it was pretty much a toss up on everything else. ultimately, i went with the $150 less m&p9c that felt better in my hand and am confident in what i ended up with. Especially with the apex trigger stuff in the M&P, It's my go-to carry gun now. For summer, it's slightly harder to conceal than my pf-9 under a t-shirt. It's very easy with an unbuttoned button-up over top though, or a looser shirt.

For me, giving up a little bit of ease of carry was worth doubling the capacity, getting more accuracy, a better trigger, getting more reliability, and getting a just better overall quality firearm that I can shoot as fast as my full-sized carry gun.

p.s.- check out ktog and some of the recent issues with pf9 barrels and slides peening. Looks like something funky happened with their heat treating.
    http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=247728
    http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=247721

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    Welcome to the world of concealed carry to all of you Marylanders. I don't have a G26; it just didn't feel right in my hand. I do have a PF9 which carries like a champ. I admittedly don't carry it too often due to capacity. I have never had a reliability issue with it though and am confident carrying it. It's light, cheap, compact, and goes bang every time.

I have a Kahr MK9 Elite as well; much better trigger as it should be for the price. I let a couple of you shoot it at one of the Del Marva shoots. Same capacity as the PF9, but much heavier and slightly wider. If you like stainless and wood; though, it is hard to turn down.

My usual carry is a CZ P-01. This is obviously a different size class, but conceals well at 14+1 and feels far more natural to me than a G19.

There's my 2 cents on carry guns that is semi-relevant to the topic. I'm glad you all have a little more freedom up there. Now you just need reciprocity so I can visit.:thumbsup:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That's a great write up, Smokey.

So what kind of belts have you found practical for EDC with the M&P9c or the P99?

I have a Loopers that's kind of like wearing a barrel hoop. The Instructor's belts aren't really for daily wear, I think, unless you're a Mall Ninja.

So what sort of belts have you tried, which disappeared in the drawer, and which do you find wearable?

Last edited:

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I much prefer the M&P9C over the G26, and I'm a Glock guy.

The ergos on the M&P9c make so much more sense to me than the G26.

That said, I have a Ruger LCR in .357 as my summer-carry gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom