• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I want to replace the plastic round cylinder handguard that came with the upper with a 15 inch metal one. Don't really know which brand of hand guard, but I know I want the metal handguard that covers most of the barrel.

Researched on YouTube and it looks like I will need to get some tools and accessories. To many of you who have done it, my question is, is it "cheaper" to buy the tools and accessories online, or just take it to a gun shop to get it installed?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated on the best way to getting a hand guard installed on my ar.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    It sounds like you want to replace a normal non free floated handguard with a free floated handguard.

To do this you will need to take the barrel nut off because most free float handguards come with their own proprietary barrel nut that the handguard secures to. Depending on the gas block you have on the current barrel you may need to replace that as well, especially if you have the A2 (triangle) front sight or a gas block that's too large to fit under the new handguard.

It's not hard just need to make sure you don't miss any steps.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I want to replace the plastic round cylinder handguard that came with the upper with a 15 inch metal one. Don't really know which brand of hand guard, but I know I want the metal handguard that covers most of the barrel.

Researched on YouTube and it looks like I will need to get some tools and accessories. To many of you who have done it, my question is, is it "cheaper" to buy the tools and accessories online, or just take it to a gun shop to get it installed?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated on the best way to getting a hand guard installed on my ar.

I'd send it to Chad. Let him do the work on it, so you know the work is done right.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    It sounds like you want to replace a normal non free floated handguard with a free floated handguard.

To do this you will need to take the barrel nut off because most free float handguards come with their own proprietary barrel nut that the handguard secures to. Depending on the gas block you have on the current barrel you may need to replace that as well, especially if you have the A2 (triangle) front sight or a gas block that's too large to fit under the new handguard.

It's not hard just need to make sure you don't miss any steps.

Oh, he will have fun with the cross pins on the block...

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Troy tubes attach to the standard barrel nut. You have to cut down the front sight base, which isn't hard at all.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I like Midwest Industries handguards. They make several two piece ones that do not require removing the barrel nut and are very easy to install. If you want a handguard that extends past the front sight post then you need to remove the front sight post and shave it down. There's Youtube videos on how to do almost anything with your AR. Definitely do it yourself.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Someone will be along to say “airsoft/Chinese junk.” But UTG makes nice handguards. I have put 15 inch one on one of my ARs and I like it. It is slim and lightweight. Not only that, but they have a lifetime warranty.

I actually had to take advantage of that. I needed to remove the handguard, and when removing the screws, two broke (they were Rocksetted in). I sent an email, and less than a week later, they sent me the screws, a new barrel nut and all the installation accessories.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Someone will be along to say “airsoft/Chinese junk.” But UTG makes nice handguards. I have put 15 inch one on one of my ARs and I like it. It is slim and lightweight. Not only that, but they have a lifetime warranty.

I actually had to take advantage of that. I needed to remove the handguard, and when removing the screws, two broke (they were Rocksetted in). I sent an email, and less than a week later, they sent me the screws, a new barrel nut and all the installation accessories.

UTG handgaurds are fine along with most of their parts its their optics that cheap airsoft chit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom