• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    If you're using Rocksett, I doubt absolute torque matters a whole lot. You do want to use a barrel vise or a BEV block, especially if the muzzle device requires more than a little force to come off.

Thanks, I got an email from Rugged that I have to get a thin wrench which is perplexing because then how do you measure the torque without that special attachment from the other thread.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    If you've got a BEV block and an iota of sense you can do this at home.

This is the set of wrenches that Rugged recommended to me when I asked them about this a few months back:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HZQW0Y

Unless it was put on there by a monkey (and that's not totally impossible) your old muzzle device will likely come off without any drama at all. Put your upper on the BEV block, put the wrench on there and pop it loose. If you're worried you're pushing too hard, then you can always stop.

Ideally? Yes. Realistically? You'll likely be fine if you use a wrench and tighten it until it's nice and tight. It's hard to over-torque something that much with a wrench this short.

You might be surprised how easily the old one comes loose. As I said before, you can always just stop if it doesn't come off easily.

Timing the brake is dead simple, too. You thread it on there and see how it lines up. You add shims until it's juuuust a little off on the "loose" side when it's hand tight. Then you tighten it on there with the wrench to make sure it'll all line up nicely. Then take it back off, make sure the threads are degreased, put a few drops of rocksett on it, and thread it back on and tighten until it's aligned and snug.

Thanks. After watching a bunch of videos I'm going to give it a go myself. If I feel like I'm wrenching to hard I'll head down to Engage to get it done.

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    Do you think this would be better than the Magpul BEV block? I already have it.

BEV block is to hold the barrel and upper when torquing the muzzle device. Works great. I used mine when installing my muzzle devices. I don't bother to align the flash hiders. For the muzzle brake, I use alignment shims to get it timed right. Takes a little practice but works well.

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Dewey rod has enough clearance to move around in the barrel a lot. The Geissele alignment rod is cheap insurance compared to a baffle strike or damaged suppressor. Like I said above, it saved me from a baffle strike due to misaligned barrel threads.

I apologize. You did initially say, "alignment rod" and I had reaction rod on the brain. That is why I asked if you thought it was better than the BEV. Then, of course, I asked you about the alignment rod. So dumb. Sorry for the confusion.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    FWIW:

Part number 8893K193 from McMaster-Carr is a ground-to-diameter rod that will work in place of the Geiselle rod for 5.56 and is MUCH cheaper if you want a rod to check alignment.
    8893K191 will work for .22lr
    8893K219 will work for .300BLK

I got all three of those shipped to my house, in two days, for $23.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    FWIW:

Part number 8893K193 from McMaster-Carr is a ground-to-diameter rod that will work in place of the Geiselle rod for 5.56 and is MUCH cheaper if you want a rod to check alignment.
    8893K191 will work for .22lr
    8893K219 will work for .300BLK

I got all three of those shipped to my house, in two days, for $23.

Seriously?? It's like $5. They are dead straight?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Yes. A great many people on AR15.com, Reddit, and other places use these. I would roll test them when you get them home to be sure, but they work fine. Some people have said you have to check the ends to make sure there aren't burrs on them though. Five seconds with a file is worth the $75 savings to me though!

barr321

Inaccurately accurate
    Sep 22, 2018
    I’m personally waiting until I move and get a tax stamp to SBR my PS90 before looking into any cans. For the time being, for the sake of research, can anyone recommend any good suppressors for the PS90?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The Dead Air Mask HD and Rugged Oculus will both suppress 5.7 and do it well. They're also great because they're rimfire cans and will run you about $400 plus the $200 stamp.

Sep 27, 2018
    OSS is one of the better cans for di guns. You can find really good deals on the gen 1 cans. Nothing really different other than the mount. I have a dedicated 556 and the silencerco hybrid. I really like the versitility of the hybrid. I have the qd mounts on several rifles and swap it out depending on what I feel like shooting that day

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Also, know decision has been made, but another plug for Rugged. I have both a Surge and Razor. First day shooting the Surge, I did not get it properly tightened on my Tavor. Bang and suppressor went 10 yds down range. Called Rugged at 7PM to leave message. They picked up phone, did not laugh at me, and sent me a return label that night. Got the can repaired back in two weeks with new end cap and new muzzle device. I am a Rugged customer for life. In fact, just started the process for a Micro 30, Obsidian 9, and Obsidian 45 to go with my Surge and Razor.

Stories such as yours are why I’m currently waiting on an Obsidian 45 and Oculus. I may just pull the trigger on a Micro30 now too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    this thread was super helpful.

Ill be starting the journey for a dead air mask hd shortly.

I think it will work great on my S&W 15/22 rifle :)

I think ill need to purchase an adapter for a pistol sep. though and im not sure what actually comes with the suppressor from the factory. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom