• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Wow. First, I gotta say it is really impressive how much effort you guys put into helping a stranger like me. I cannot thank you guys enough for writing out details like you have.. A lot of other forums the responses to questions are pretty terse and a bit snarky. Thank you.

Seems I haven't provided enough information to go on. I've got a LWRCI IC. A 5.56 with a gas block selector. I enjoy shooting it in a standing position more so then off the bench. However, the damn thing is heavy. How the hell do you former soldiers hold this thing up for hours during a gun fight is beyond me. I don't have a lot of stuff on it but I'm also not that strong. I'm not big into mag dumps but sometimes like to up the tempo of my shooting. I do want a dedicated can. If I get a 7.62 I'll get a separate can for that. Based on the conversations I have had with others this is the optimal way to go albeit expensive. I don't think I'll ever get a 7.62. I know, I know!! I'm not a hunter so it'll be solely for shooting at the range for fun and sitting in the safe for that unfortunate possibility. I will shoot it about 2-4 times a month.

Small, light, and quiet. Like someone said above it doesn't exist. What I gather from all of you is that I can go small and light but sacrifice quietness. I do want quality. I'm willing to pay for it but I need to get value for the dollar. Is a Surefire really hundreds of dollars better than the competitors?

Couple questions to add:

1. Someone wrote above, "I really hate QD Flash hiders with equal tongs. ie AAC. When the can is not on, the gun will "ting" as the flash hiders vibrate after every shot! I hate this! For this reason along, I ruled out certain cans." This is new news to me. What is this referencing and what models have this problem?

2. Silencer Co has a Saker 556 and 556K. The 556K is 1 inch shorter but sacrifices a couple decibels of noise reduction. How many decibels do I need to think about where it starts to be noticeable? I can't imagine 2 decibels is noticeable. Is it? On the other hand is 1 inch of length really a big deal? I'm not saying I want a Saker but it is just one example of what the companies offer to decide what to get.

3. QD vs. direct thread. Seems like the movement and recommendations are QD. Isn't a direct thread more durable and less of a chance to get out of place and have possible damage?

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate you offering your experience.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Wow. First, I gotta say it is really impressive how much effort you guys put into helping a stranger like me. I cannot thank you guys enough for writing out details like you have.. A lot of other forums the responses to questions are pretty terse and a bit snarky. Thank you.

Seems I haven't provided enough information to go on. I've got a LWRCI IC. A 5.56 with a gas block selector. I enjoy shooting it in a standing position more so then off the bench. However, the damn thing is heavy. How the hell do you former soldiers hold this thing up for hours during a gun fight is beyond me. I don't have a lot of stuff on it but I'm also not that strong. I'm not big into mag dumps but sometimes like to up the tempo of my shooting. I do want a dedicated can. If I get a 7.62 I'll get a separate can for that. Based on the conversations I have had with others this is the optimal way to go albeit expensive. I don't think I'll ever get a 7.62. I know, I know!! I'm not a hunter so it'll be solely for shooting at the range for fun and sitting in the safe for that unfortunate possibility. I will shoot it about 2-4 times a month.

Small, light, and quiet. Like someone said above it doesn't exist. What I gather from all of you is that I can go small and light but sacrifice quietness. I do want quality. I'm willing to pay for it but I need to get value for the dollar. Is a Surefire really hundreds of dollars better than the competitors?

Couple questions to add:

1. Someone wrote above, "I really hate QD Flash hiders with equal tongs. ie AAC. When the can is not on, the gun will "ting" as the flash hiders vibrate after every shot! I hate this! For this reason along, I ruled out certain cans." This is new news to me. What is this referencing and what models have this problem?

2. Silencer Co has a Saker 556 and 556K. The 556K is 1 inch shorter but sacrifices a couple decibels of noise reduction. How many decibels do I need to think about where it starts to be noticeable? I can't imagine 2 decibels is noticeable. Is it? On the other hand is 1 inch of length really a big deal? I'm not saying I want a Saker but it is just one example of what the companies offer to decide what to get.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate you offering your experience.

For the first point - yes, some flash hiders do that, some do not. The key there is if the tongs are equal size and shape, there's a fair possibility. Just google each FH and you'll find out soon enough. I had a BE Meyer FH for a SiCo Saker (7.62) and it sings..

2 db - you won't notice a difference.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Rereading the OP's actual question, I went with what I bought because the cans I selected were reviewed solidly, were available on SilencerShop (thus super easy to purchase), and were on a good sale. Any suppressor you buy stands the possibility of being eclipsed by the next greatest thing before you even take possession of it. But what I have will do just fine for years or decades to come. I also knew I was going to buy a lot of suppressors eventually, so for the most part I went with stuff that would at most go on a couple firearms. Most likely they would be dedicated to just one. At this point most suppressors are pretty good at what they do, so the extra money tends to go to durability/materials, brand name, extra modularity, and additional features.

I also prefer quick attach to direct thread because I tend to use muzzle devices, and if I am not shooting suppressed I still want a muzzle brake or flash hider. The fact that the sacrificial baffle is the brake is nice. The non-NFA, user replaceable device is the thing that gets beat up the most.

Ultimately the best time to buy a suppressor is now, because the clock doesn't start ticking on the 5-7 month wait to take possession of the thing until the ATF starts processing your paperwork. Ultimately it is hard to refine your opinion on suppressors without shooting them, and you're either not going to like suppressors because they don't suit your style of shooting (mostly people who spend a lot of time behind machine guns or don't care for giant boat anchors attached to the front of their pistols or rifles), or you're probably going to buy several. Here is what I've bought so far:

Griffin Optimus (approved but the stamp got lost in the mail so not in my possession yet)
    Surefire Ryder 22S (in my possession)
    YHM Turbo (in my possession)
    Mack Bros Vapor (in my possession)
    Q Thunder Chicken (in my possession)
    Liberty Cosmic (waiting, should clear in a few weeks)
    Rugged Micro (waiting, will probably be a couple months)
    Dead Air Wolverine (waiting, will be 3-4 months)

Additionally I have used suppressors for work and have been fortunate to have friends let me try theirs out, so the mystique is long gone and I have realistic expectations. So I went with what was a good price and am very happy with all my purchases so far. I would still like a Q Trash Panda and maybe an OSS 556k eventually. Maybe one of those neat Brevis 3D printed cans eventually too. Eventually I may get something that can handle the big bore stuff well, but probably not anytime soon. Right now I've got my bases mostly covered minus pistol cans. Which I will use the Optimus for if the form 4 certified copy ever shows up . . . The liberty Cosmic will probably clear first, sadly.

So my advice is pick a reasonably versatile suppressor and try it out. Worst case scenario if you decide you don't like suppressed guns much is that you can have it on a hunting rifle or home defense gun as a safety measure. Too much analysis paralysis will kill you when it comes to NFA items.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Anyone have the Rugged Micro30 that can comment on it?

Edit: I think we were typing at the same time. You purchased a Rugged Micro30 but haven't received it. Have you tried one out and how does it compare to the many others you have?

Unrelated but I like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMimnpiv1Q I cannot believe how hot this thing got.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county

Edit: I think we were typing at the same time. You purchased a Rugged Micro30 but haven't received it. Have you tried one out and how does it compare to the many others you have?

Unrelated but I like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMimnpiv1Q I cannot believe how hot this thing got.
    They all get hot.. put a quality suppressor cover on and let it cool at the end..

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    OP: I have not shot the Rugged Micro yet but have recently shot the Rugged Razor, which the micro is similar to in full sized configuration. It was nice. Nothing major stood out beyond the feeling of sturdiness. Actually handled my Micro today (bring on the phallus jokes) when I was at the store for another reason, and was impressed with the large and small configurations. A light and handy can and a sturdy bombroof one, all in the same box. I'm really pleased that I went with that one. If I only could have one .30 Cal can (clearly not the case), I think I'd get that one. Or the trash panda due to the weight and ability to torque both the muzzle device and can on with repeatable precision.

RE Covers: Suppressor covers do add more weight on top of the weight of the suppressor . . . I don't use a cover unless I am trying to shoot out past 100 yards and don't want to deal with mirage. Instead I just throw my flaming hot suppressor in my Cole Tac Vulcan pouch at the end of the session, lest it set my bag on fire.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Wow. First, I gotta say it is really impressive how much effort you guys put into helping a stranger like me.

Eh - we were all new once and needed help. I asked a crapton of questions before I bought too.

So, based on what you said, I'd probably go for a small / light can. I would still urge you to think about 7.62 cans. The "micro" size 5.56 cans are cool for what they are, (small and light) but you're not going to get the best sound attenuation out of them.

For your use case I'd give a serious look at the Rugged Mirco 30. It's a small / light can that'll give decent numbers with 5.56, it's built like a tank, and it will be usable on any rifle you'd like in the future if you branch out. They're also a decent price at $760 or so.

This guy likes everything, but this is a good review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSSTHlaE9Fw

You *do* generally get what you pay for with suppressors. Some of it is paying for brand a little bit in certain cases, but they aren't incredibly complex machines for the most part, so you pay for materials and craftsmanship. Personally I wouldn't bother with Surefire in particular, though.

Couple questions to add:

Another poster answered this above, but any flash hider where all three prongs are the same size will "ting" when you shoot it without the can. Rugged and some others have found a way around this by machining notches into the arms so that they have different masses and don't ting.

3. QD vs. direct thread. Seems like the movement and recommendations are QD. Isn't a direct thread more durable and less of a chance to get out of place and have possible damage

Believe it or not, a properly designed and used QD mount will be more stable than direct thread. Direct thread cans can work loose and unthread over time. With QD ones you typically use a thread bond of some sort (Rocksett) to attach the muzzle device, and then the can locks solidly on to it so it can't accidentally come off. If you use a muzzle brake, it also acts as a "sacrificial baffle" and takes the brunt of the muzzle blast so your expensive irreplaceable suppressor doesn't.

The Micro is fairly new to market so I don't know that you'll find anyone with one in hand yet.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ... I've got a LWRCI IC. A 5.56 with a gas block selector. I enjoy shooting it in a standing position more so then off the bench. However, the damn thing is heavy. ....

... This is new news to me. What is this referencing and what models have this problem?

2. Silencer Co has a Saker 556 and 556K. ...

3. QD vs. direct thread. ...

LWRCI IC. I have not seen one of these rifles shooting yet. The Gas block looks ideal for suppressing! I might have to look into one myself! Very nice. If you think its heavy now, wait to you add a suppressor sicking at the end. Get a paper towel tube and fill it with something heavy and tape it to the end of your barrel. See what it does. Even on my 14.5" barrel its long!

1. I know all AAC Flash hiders have that issue. Here is an example:

It really does bother me to the point that I will not buy a suppressor based on this alone...

I will add one thing here too. Muzzle brakes on 223 really suck at the range. They annoy everyone around you and maybe you too. They are loud and blast gas. I don't suggest them and I am not usually bothered by muzzle blast. Yeah they work a little better for a suppressor but you will probably still shoot a fair amount without the suppressor... I don't think its worth it. Stick with Flash hiders is my advice.

2. I have seen these shortly suppressors. Frankly I don't know I get it. You want it suppressed but not as suppressed... Seems like you should just got all in or skip it. Other than cutting down on length (and a very little weight), there is little advantage. Just get a shorter barrel if you want shorter...

3. QD is far superior if you ask me. As mentioned Direct thread unscrew. Who wants to be constantly worried that a can is unscrewing and having to keep checking... ie grabbing a hot suppressor and trying to tighten it. No QDs are a must for me with all except 22LR. Even there I might look into it.

Also on that suppressor test... note how much blast is coming back in his face! Its a lot! Like a strong wind.

Also, I wrote off 30 caliber suppressors at first too and said the same thing. I would add one if need be. However I ended up with a 30 caliber can in order to help reduce blast like seen in the video above. I still have no 30 caliber gun set up to put it on. However the Omega can take 556 end caps with one is 4db quieter than the Saker in 556. So you do gain a bit for the little extra length. Frankly, I am very happy I did this and would not have done it if I had not tested in the field first.

I do not recommend getting a 45 ACP suppressor and using it for 9mm.

Someone as picky as you claim, must be an Engineer! Ask me how I know? :)

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Flash hiders vs brakes . . . Meh, do what makes you happy. If you like brakes, use brakes. If you don't like them, don't use them and feel free to grump about it to anyone who will listen. Just understand that they are popular and you're probably going to encounter them at the range.

Small suppressors are popular because a suppressor on a supersonic centerfire rifle is never going to be movie theatre quiet. You should still be wearing some other form of hearing protection if shooting more than a few rounds or other people are shooting around you, so some people who accept that sometimes want to add minimal weight to their firearms. The rugged micro (my specific recommendation) lets you do that, but also lets you add length if you want to.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Rugged and Dead Air, yes. SIG, no.

SIG's suppressor line was designed by Kevin Brittingham, who was the founder of AAC and who now runs Q. Brittingham makes awesome products, but he's the very definition of a maverick who doesn't play well with others, and it shows in his history, I think.

Rugged was founded by Henry Graham, and Dead Air by Mike Pappas. Between the two of them, they were largely responsible for most of SilencerCo's "classic" designs that made them what they are today. The Obsidian is what the Octane would be if Graham had stayed at SiCo. The Dead Air rifle cans are what SiCo would have made if Pappas had stayed.
    Like the OP I would like to enter the NFA/suppressor world, and I’m following this thread’s advice as it unfolds. I can’t seem to follow what your point is here though. If Kevin Brittingham designed Sig’s line of suppressors and he makes “awesome products”, why would Sig be ruled out simply because he is a “maverick”? What does this even mean, and why would those of us looking for an “awesome product” exclude Sig’s product line because the designer doesn’t “play nice with others” ? Respectfully not trying to start a thing, just don’t understand what you’re trying to say here.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I think Sig's suppressors are pretty good. I would buy one if it were on a good sale. If the price were close to an equivalent Q suppressor, I'd probably personally go with the Q can.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I was at the Chantilly show today and there was a booth with a bunch of suppressors. Definitely bigger than what I imagined but I think I'll be going with the SC Omega. A 1 inch difference vs 5db I'm going with the less noise. If 20 db is 100% louder than 1 db then 5 db is 68% louder. That is a lot.

Of note, there was a table with a bunch of flash hiders and muzzle brakes. I asked the owner, of the booth, if one of the brakes "sings or makes a noise." He said, "No that's stupid." I asked, "Why do people say that?" He shrugged.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I was at the Chantilly show today and there was a booth with a bunch of suppressors. Definitely bigger than what I imagined but I think I'll be going with the SC Omega. A 1 inch difference vs 5db I'm going with the less noise. If 20 db is 100% louder than 1 db then 5 db is 68% louder. That is a lot.

Of note, there was a table with a bunch of flash hiders and muzzle brakes. I asked the owner, of the booth, if one of the brakes "sings or makes a noise." He said, "No that's stupid." I asked, "Why do people say that?" He shrugged.
    Thats a great choice - I have one and something like ~60k others do. Its flexible and an all around great can. Congratulations

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Great choice. I use my Omega a lot more than my dedicated 5.56 can. Silencerco is a great company

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Griffin 30SD is my choice. I like the muzzle device. I already have one on one Ar15. It would come with a 30 cal one which I would put on my .308 bolt gun. Right now their offering a free second MD.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ...I think I'll be going with the SC Omega. A 1 inch difference vs 5db I'm going with the less noise...

I have been happy with my Omega so far. I thought it was one of the best at the time I bought it and I think its a pretty good overall suppressor. I think you will be happy with it.

If seems to me that only suppressor makers make the Flash hiders that sing. I don't know why. As you can see in the video, I am not making it up but its unexpected if you have never heard it.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I have been happy with my Omega so far. I thought it was one of the best at the time I bought it and I think its a pretty good overall suppressor. I think you will be happy with it.

If seems to me that only suppressor makers make the Flash hiders that sing. I don't know why. As you can see in the video, I am not making it up but its unexpected if you have never heard it.

You heard ONE of my SBR uppers with a 51T AAC flash hider "sing". :) It only happens with one of the 10.5" uppers, and none of the 7.5", 12", or 14.5" uppers. The other 10.5" one does not do that. Must be something with the harmonic resonance of that particular upper combo.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016

I believe you and the fact he was quick to dismiss it was a testament to the fact it happens. He didn't discuss that maybe its just the AAC or whatever. So either he doesn't know his products or just annoyed because he wasn't making a sale.

Is AAC the only one I have to worry about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom