• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I have been on the hunt for a suppressor for a long time. I have read reviews, watched videos, etc. I can't for the life of me decide on which one I should get. I just want it to be quiet and easy to clean. With a 9 month wait I don't want to choose poorly. I have a LWRIC that I want to use it with.

Also I don't get why some are $1k and some are $500. What can be the big difference in them? There are no moving parts.

How did you guys decided on what to get?

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I can't pull the trigger on a can. But, like the Griffin and Rugged. I didn't really answer any of your questions.

I wanted a QD mount type. That what moved me to those brands.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Honestly we need much more information to make a recommendation.. A LWRC-IC would imply 5.56, but what if you eventually pickup a 300BO... etc etc.. There’s a number of really good cans out there. For an AR, I’d recommend on the lighter side and QD... So SC Omega, Rugged Surge, Sig QD.. With more info on how you’ll use we can assist...

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Honestly we need much more information to make a recommendation.. A LWRC-IC would imply 5.56, but what if you eventually pickup a 300BO... etc etc.. There’s a number of really good cans out there. For an AR, I’d recommend on the lighter side and QD... So SC Omega, Rugged Surge, Sig QD.. With more info on how you’ll use we can assist...

Yep, 5.56. I think QD also but SC is in financial trouble. I thought of getting the modular Griffen one but reviews are that it is nice but a dedicated device for each caliber is better than a do all.

Should I be concerned what it is made of? Silencer shop allows you to search via construction type. Aluminum, titanium, etc...

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I can't pull the trigger on a can. But, like the Griffin and Rugged. I didn't really answer any of your questions.

I wanted a QD mount type. That what moved me to those brands.

Why those two brands vs. say SC, SIG, Surefire, etc...

The main problem is I have zero knowledge and have to go by videos and reviews. Sometimes they are biased and I have a feeling some of the reviewers are paid off to say nice things. Example is MAC from youtube is very biased toward Griffen. I think he gets paid by them as he is always plugging the brand with shirts and logos of them everywhere.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010

The main problem is I have zero knowledge and have to go by videos and reviews. Sometimes they are biased and I have a feeling some of the reviewers are paid off to say nice things. Example is MAC from youtube is very biased toward Griffen. I think he gets paid by them as he is always plugging the brand with shirts and logos of them everywhere.

I chose my rifle suppressor primarily by the price. My FFL got a deal on the YHM Nitro-30 for me, and even after the $200 tax stamp and sales tax, it came out to be the same as the price from an online silencer store in TX with a big website. Another major factor is that I had prior experience with YHM parts and know they make good stuff. Also, the Nitro-30 can be used on both 7.62 and 5.56 rifles, and YHM makes QD flash suppressor and QD muzzle brakes in the 1/2-28 , 5/8-24 , and M14-1 LH threads for this suppressor. I bought QD adapters for my AR-15's, .308 AR, AK47, and Kel-Tec RFB. The only downside is these adapters were expensive, $75 each. The Nitro has interchangable front and end caps, so I can use the QD or direct thread cap on the back end.

Unlike some of those youtube people, I pay YHM for their suppressor and parts, not the other way around, although it would be nice if it were so.

Where are you located?

ETA: here's a video by YHM explaining how their QD system works. I just turn mine down until it stops clicking and haven't had any problems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mjwq-5Uga0

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    Well let me tell you how it went for me.

I wanted a can that would be usable for as many of my guns a possible. Well now I have 5 and want more. Yes it is nice to use one can for multiple guns/calibers but it is a huge pain in the a$$ switching them out. I bought the AAC Tirant 45 because I can use it on almost all of my pistols. Well its true I can, but every pistol has a different piston to put in the thing. Then to put it on my MPX I have to take the spring out and put the fixed barrel spacer in. See where this is going?

I bought the Saker 762 because I can use it on my AR-15 and my AR-10. Well then I bought the 5.56 end cap so it drops a couple more Db. But what happens if I forget its on there and I slap that baby on my 300blk? Tragic! I have not done it but I would be soooo mad at myself. On top of that there's been so many times I want to let the gun cool down so ill switch and shoot another. Good luck switching that hot BI*** to the next gun.

Moral of the story, save the dough and get the can you want for the gun you want it for. If you want to shoot a different caliber/gun suppressed get another can!

As for what suppressor is best to pull the trigger on I can not help you make that decision but I truly think you should focus on one caliber and don't get caught up in the "well this one will work on 5 of my guns" thing.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland

I know MAC's YT video was one reason I like Griffin. They did well in his 30cal comparison awhile back. I like the QD system that uses A2 type MDs . Rugged I like the dual taper lock. All my opinions could and probably will change when I have cash in hand.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Q Trash Panda
    Rugged Micro 30
    Griffin Optimus
    YHM Turbo

All good cans, all besides the turbo very versatile.

Norbalco

Feb 24, 2017
    I don’t have a lot of experience with cans, but own two silencerco pistol suppressors (22 and 45) and both do a good enough job for my needs (mostly not pissing off neighbors)

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    How did you guys decided on what to get?

I laid out my requirements (based on usage), then my "likes" and then made a decision from there.

If you want help, can you provide more info? What are you going to use it on? What kind of shooting do you do? Someone who shoots bench rest precision is going to have different requirements than someone who likes doing mag dumps, for example.

It sounds like you want a rifle can, but you don't mention specifically what caliber. For rifles, unless you really specifically want a tiny 5.56 can, you're much better off buying a 7.62 can that you can potentially use on more hosts in the future. Materials and construction do make a difference in how you can use the can. There are lots of different QD systems out there if you want that.

The "good news" is that you're buying at a great time. There are tons of good cans on the market.

Personally, I went with a Rugged Surge for my rifle can. They're built like an absolute tank, they provide really good dB reduction, and their QD system is awesome. You might have a different use case than I do, though.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I just did a post on my 4 new Suppressors I got in.

That said, I highly suggest getting some experience before buying!

Just a few of the things I have found:

1. I really had QD Flash hiders with equal tongs. ie AAC. When the can is not on, the gun will "ting" as the flash hiders vibrate after every shot! I hate this! For this reason along, I ruled out certain cans.
    2. They get hot fast and if you shoot fast... are not nearly as fun.
    3. I hate shooting through the suppressor using stock sights, I must have raised sights to enjoy shooting pistols. I also went with a Maxim style suppressor because of this (9mm Osprey)
    4. I don't shoot with glasses and don't enjoy it nearly as much because it blows crap back in your face often.
    5. If you are not shooting subsonic, much of the point is lost on suppressors. I shot my M16 with standard 62gr and its still loud enough I need ear plugs. So the value really goes down if you ask me.
    6. I don't like 45acp suppressors. I have heard a few and don't think they suppresses enough for it to be worth buying.
    7. A lot of the time I shoot fast and you get gassed out. That is the volume of the suppressor is not to large and it blows gasses back in the gun which vent into your face, making is annoying or impossible to shoot. I went with an Omega over a Saker to add volume to stop this. It still gasses me out a bit.
    8. On AR15s uppers, they are way behind as far as gas block technology goes. I want a tool free adjustment system, so I can turn down the gas when using a suppressor, for the reasons above. I has a SLR adjustable gas block, the first time out... forgot the Allen wrench and had a single shot gun. I am not going to be doing that again. SLR removed.
    9. The longer the barrel, the more the weight matters. If you are shooting off a bipod, its not as bad but otherwise... pay the extra for the lighter cans made of more expensive material.
    10. Frankly, they are not nearly as cool as I thought they would be and come with a lot of negatives that I did not know about before owning one. Yes I still bought 4 (after my first one) but I know I will likely not use them all that much. My 9mm SMG and 22 suppressors will get the most use. I am going to bet my Omega and Osprey don't really get used that much other than at the night shoots...

From all the above, I think the 22LR is really underrated as far as suppressors go. They suppress really nicely. 223 almost is a waste to suppress IMHO. I mainly got mine for shooting at night where I want the flash suppression and to upset the neighbors less. I do really enjoy my Mac now that I welded on a gas shield. Its really nice to shoot suppressed with that larger MK9K can. 9mm Pistols are just worth it if you ask me. Frankly I doubt I will use it that much but we will see.

Here is some video we took showing how suppressors on certain guns will gas you.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Suppressors are not magic, unfortunately. And they can easily get up to 500-1000 degrees if you fire quickly or on full auto. But they are awesome for a lot of things, and they make range trips a lot more pleasant for most people.

Once you gain experience with suppressors, you really develop an appreciation for just how silly the NFA is. Outside of .22lr they don't really make your gun silent anymore than a car muffler makes your car silent.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Don’t own one but have looked into it quite a bit. I can provide a small amount of knowledge about price. Some companies spend quite a bit of money on R&D which is reflected into there price. And to help with accumulated cost for “months” taken to develop.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Yep, 5.56. I think QD also but SC is in financial trouble. I thought of getting the modular Griffen one but reviews are that it is nice but a dedicated device for each caliber is better than a do all.

Should I be concerned what it is made of? Silencer shop allows you to search via construction type. Aluminum, titanium, etc...

So I don't want to hijack the thread - but just to provide a little food for thought. The perfect suppressor would be short, light and have awesome sound suppression. Perfect doesn't exist. For your first for an AR, the best solution is a balance of everything. Aluminum, Titanium are all designed to be light but not as durable as other materials such as stellite, inconel and stainless steel. The benefit to those are durability. That's not to say a Titanium can is bad (generally more expensive) - but you just have to take it a little easier than the others.

As for SilencerCo - they're not going anywhere. Yes, they got too big too fast, spent money feverishly, and gambled and lost on the hearing protection act. After multiple rounds of layoffs, they appear to be on a solid foundation and certain folks were pushed out. So don't worry if you select them. I'm almost certain they have the largest suppressor base. Many of the newer suppressor companies trace their suppressor heritage through SiCo. Rugged, Sig, Dead Air just to name a few. All of these companies make great products. If you fine someone highlighting one company or one suppressor, it's probably because they have some form of bias.

As for a recommendation. Given the NFA process, it's best to look at the ways you can use a can. 5.56 is not an ideal host to suppress. For that round, you're looking to tame it - especially if you ever SBR it. 300BO, 6.8 are a little better but nothing is 007 like. My opinion is to fine something in the middle of short, light with decent suppression and really in the 7.62 size. Why 7.62 you ask? Because of the versatility versus a dedicated 5.56 can. The added volume of the can generally allows it to suppress better than a dedicated 5.56 can, and you still have the flexibility of using on a 6.8, 6.5, 300BO, etc... And for some (Omega, Surge), you can change the end cap down to the 5.56 size (although if you ever pickup a larger caliber, remove the smaller endcap and put away. )

Also - to do a little comparisons, I've found the below handy although it's not the most up to date (and some of the numbers are ???).

https://modernrifleman.net/suppressors/

One other consideration is the attachment. Direct thread is direct thread. For an AR, having a QD allows you to remove at will. Some of the QD's had issues and some require massive muzzle devices.

As for models - SiCo Omega, Rugged Surge, Q Panda, Sig SRD762 would be my front runners. All are good/great and there's others folks can add to the list. The Surge allows is a great all around selection - long or short, it has you covered. The Sig and Q maximizes internal volume which assists suppression. The Omega and Sig (one model) comes in Titanium cans. Several allow you to switch mounts - which after you have several toys, becomes a consideration.

Next, depending on what can you pickup, do yourself a favor and pickup a suppressor alignment rod so that after you attach, you can make sure you won't have a baffle strike on your first shot. I've never had a problem but then again, 9+ months wait and then kaboom on the first round.. No thanks.

One last factor - consider the customer service of the company. Chances are you'll have a problem, question or whatever. SiCo, Rugged, Sig will do whatever they can to help. I don't have first hand experience with every manufacturer but I've not been satisfied with every (sorry AAC).

For suppressors, ignore the price unless it's absurd. Buy what you want. Buy once, cry once...

Think that's about it... Sorry, tried to keep it short.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Many of the newer suppressor companies trace their suppressor heritage through SiCo. Rugged, Sig, Dead Air just to name a few.

Rugged and Dead Air, yes. SIG, no.

SIG's suppressor line was designed by Kevin Brittingham, who was the founder of AAC and who now runs Q. Brittingham makes awesome products, but he's the very definition of a maverick who doesn't play well with others, and it shows in his history, I think.

Rugged was founded by Henry Graham, and Dead Air by Mike Pappas. Between the two of them, they were largely responsible for most of SilencerCo's "classic" designs that made them what they are today. The Obsidian is what the Octane would be if Graham had stayed at SiCo. The Dead Air rifle cans are what SiCo would have made if Pappas had stayed.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Rugged and Dead Air, yes. SIG, no.

SIG's suppressor line was designed by Kevin Brittingham, who was the founder of AAC and who now runs Q. Brittingham makes awesome products, but he's the very definition of a maverick who doesn't play well with others, and it shows in his history, I think.

Rugged was founded by Henry Graham, and Dead Air by Mike Pappas. Between the two of them, they were largely responsible for most of SilencerCo's "classic" designs that made them what they are today. The Obsidian is what the Octane would be if Graham had stayed at SiCo. The Dead Air rifle cans are what SiCo would have made if Pappas had stayed.

So two comments. The thread was to provide a little assistance to someone new to the suppressor market and although the three folks named are were instrumental to the launch of each manufacturer, they were not the only employees of. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom