• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Attached is the letter that Hogan sent to Chairman Joesph F. Vallario, Jr. and Members of the House Judiciary

Attachments

• Letter_HB 1302.pdf
      61.4 KB · Views: 3,084

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    That letter is a little late isn't it? This should have been sent weeks ago.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    While the court is determining "by clear and convincing evidence the individual poses a significant danger to themselves or others", what happens to that persons firearms?

Slippery slope! Too little, tooooooooo late.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Translation: I like this bill. I will sign this bill. Just voicing concerns to cover my ass.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    That letter is a little late isn't it? This should have been sent weeks ago.

He did, sent it March 1. So all this time the MGA as know about Hogans concerns. So when we get the final language of the bill we will see if Hogans concerns were addressed and if not does Hogan shrug his shoulders and say oh well and let it become law.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    None of the stipulations below were met! Due Process delayed is Due Process denied.

From the letter:
    As the Committee considers House Bill 1302, we urge due process considerations, such as a high evidentiary standard in order to issue a lethal violence protective order, an opportunity for the respondent to address the petition made against him or her, expedited hearing timelines, and a limited scope of who can petition the court under this process be given proper consideration.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Attached is the letter that Hogan sent to Chairman Joesph F. Vallario, Jr. and Members of the House Judiciary

That letter is dated March 1 and I assume is his response to the first version of the bill, not the final version.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Final version has been up on the legislative website since Tuesday:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2018RS/bills/hb/hb1302e.pdf

So if I read this bill correctly, one hell of a lot of redactions, the 'neighborhood bag lady' can't take your guns.

I didn't completely digest the entire bill but it does look like not just any irate neighbor can make some anonymous call and say you are a threat and have an order issued. The petitioner for an order must first identify themselves and their relationship to the respondent, which are limited in scope, and present some form of evidence that a judge reviews.

It sure isn't as horrible as I first heard, any 'interested party', I mean that right there was a complete deal breaker.

The thing that mostly upsets me about the bill is that it singles out a specific group of people, gun owners. Kinda violates the 14 amendment. I still am foggy on the recourse the respondent has if it turns out that an ex girlfriend was being untruthful with her claim.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    So if I read this bill correctly, one hell of a lot of redactions, the 'neighborhood bag lady' can't take your guns.

I didn't completely digest the entire bill but it does look like not just any irate neighbor can make some anonymous call and say you are a threat and have an order issued. The petitioner for an order must first identify themselves and their relationship to the respondent and present some form of evidence that a judge reviews.

It sure isn't as horrible as I first heard, any 'interested party', I mean that right there was a complete deal breaker.

The thing that mostly upsets me about the bill is that it singles out a specific group of people, gun owners. Kinda violates the 14 amendment. I still am foggy on the recourse the respondent has if it turns out that an ex girlfriend was being untruthful with her claim.

That any irate neighbor can lie their any irate neighbor assoff and convince a police officer to initiate the ERPO.

Because any random police officer can, based on HB1302 language, initiate an ERPO.

The sneaky MGA made certain to keep that in their bill.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    When you support the policies of the enemy, what does that make you? Certainly not my friend! Continuing to retreat will never result in victory, at some point you must counter and do so decisively! Problem is, people in this state are so used to retreating, they have lost the will to counter and no longer remember how to. Liberty in this state is enduring the death of a thousand cuts.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    That any irate neighbor can lie their any irate neighbor assoff and convince a police officer to initiate the ERPO.

Because any random police officer can, based on HB1302 language, initiate an ERPO.

The sneaky MGA made certain to keep that in their bill.

FYI cop cant issue an ERPO. He must petition the court for one.

Yeah but in that case the officer would then be lying to the commissioner about where there evidence came from. He must swear under penalty of perjury that the information and evidence he is giving is true. So if the cop is buddies with the irate neighbor and file on their behalf, the cop is going to have to explain how he knows all those negative things about you.

Very hard to pull that off and when it is found out that none of that was true the cop would have some explaining to do.

The only way a cop would file against you is that if your irate neighbor called the cops and the cops came out to your house and you answered the door with your AR screaming "you'll never take me alive pig". Then maybe you will get the order.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    When you support the policies of the enemy, what does that make you? Certainly not my friend! Continuing to retreat will never result in victory, at some point you must counter and do so decisively! Problem is, people in this state are so used to retreating, they have lost the will to counter and no longer remember how to. Liberty in this state is enduring the death of a thousand cuts.

Don't mistake my comments for retreating or giving in. I am simply stating what I have read and how that is different from the bag lady taking your guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom