• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    NRA-ILA, MSRPA bring a new lawsuit against G&S.

The lawsuit, Brian Kirk Malpasso and Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association v. William M. Pallozzi, challenges Maryland’s requirement that a citizen show “good and substantial” reason to obtain a concealed carry permit. Because of this requirement, Maryland residents must prove they are under some extraordinary imminent threat in order to be granted a permit. This effectively bans most citizens from exercising their Second Amendment rights outside of their homes.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180412/nra-announces-support-for-maryland-lawsuit

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    :beer:

Unfortunately, my dues and donations will help to fund the litigation, and my taxes will pay to fund the defense of the litigation. Happy to see this though.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    :beer:

Unfortunately, my dues and donations will help to fund the litigation, and my taxes will pay to fund the defense of the litigation. Happy to see this though.

Your dues goes to NRA, not NRA-ILA, so they don't fund any lawsuits.

If your donations are specifically to NRA-ILA, then they go to fund the lawsuits, if not, then no they don't.

If you want to support NRA-ILA lawsuits the donations need to be made specifically to NRA-ILA.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Great to see.

But how is this expected to be a different outcome than the Woollard vs Sheridan case? In that case 4th Circuit said that G&S was a permissible burden under intermediate scrutiny.
    Why would this case be expected to result in a different outcome?
    Other circuits have come to different conclusions on the same matter including the District of Columbia. Permits are Shall Issue there now.

Not trying to be negative - just trying to understand what might be different now.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County

If your donations are specifically to NRA-ILA, then they go to fund the lawsuits, if not, then no they don't.

If you want to support NRA-ILA lawsuits the donations need to be made specifically to NRA-ILA.

Yup, thanks for the clarification. Donations only, which I make...not NRA or MSRPA dues.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Great to see.

But how is this expected to be a different outcome than the Woollard vs Sheridan case? In that case 4th Circuit said that G&S was a permissible burden under intermediate scrutiny.
    Other circuits have come to different conclusions on the same matter including the District of Columbia. Permits are Shall Issue there now.

Not trying to be negative - just trying to understand what might be different now.

The whole point of the suit, like the NJ and NY suits, is to set up the circuit conflict for SCT review, not to win in the 4th Circuit, which is bound by Woollard.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

Indeed. Happy that my membership $ funds the operation of the NRA and their many range/training/safety/education/grant type activities, and the nice hats I get.

But happy also to send money to NRA-ILA expressly because of work like what's being talked about here. It's never been more vital.

And: I also donate separately to NRA-PVF, which is the political PAC. That organization rolls in the mud, wrestling political pigs. Wish we didn't have to spend money in that area, but it ALSO has never been more important.

If folks are only sending in membership-related money, they may not be doing the good they think they're doing. ILA and PVF urgently need fat war chests, especially now.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    The whole point of the suit, like the NJ and NY suits, is to set up the circuit conflict for SCT review, not to win in the 4th Circuit, which is bound by Woollard.

If I understand your response the point is to lose in 4th Circuit-land and keep appealing until it is possible to request for certiorari to SCOTUS? Combined with other circuit splits might they might be more inclined to take the case this time and resolve the split.
    Sorry for my ignorance.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

Hasn't a split already been done via Woollard?

edit: saw IronEye's response... expensive. what's the odds of SCOTUS decision on carry?

Mr H

Banana'd

Are they still doing 100% funds direction if you note "MD Litigation" on your check?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wrenn has happened since Wollard .
    DC's scheme was essentially identical to Md's G&S .

Direct win in 4th not likely , but the big picture is to set up a Circuit Split .

So is the District Court round fully funded by ILA , or does MSRPA have a Legal Fund for targeted donations ?

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Wrenn has happened since Wollard .
    DC's scheme was essentially identical to Md's G&S .

Direct win in 4th not likely , but the big picture is to set up a Circuit Split .

Thanks, That's what I was missing. I knew about Wrenn and that there was a split. But we need a new case to lose and appeal to get on the other side of the split and try for SCOTUS. We can't appeal Woollard again.
    Remind me to never play chess with any of you fellows.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Sorry for my ignorance.

No apologies needed for being ignorant, relatively new guy. Ignorance can be fixed. It's the stupid comments people make here that they should apologize for!

You can learn a lot here at MDS. Keep asking.*
    Keep learning. Keep supporting the 2A. You'll do fine.

Please join us this Saturday in Annapolis.

*but I encourage you to make full use of the search function first.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Great to see.

No clue until we see the filing, your crystal ball is as good as mine, but there are always other approaches to attacking G&S.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Are they still doing 100% funds direction if you note "MD Litigation" on your check?

I would assume that they still continue 100% funds direction for any note you put on your check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom