2018 Mid-Atlantic Fireworks Festival (April 21)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    Here we go again!

It's hard for me to believe, but this is the 10th MAFF!!!
    It all started with about 12 of us messing about in a field in Hughesville. Over the past decade it has has grown into an event with a few thousand spectators getting to watch some of the top pyrotechnicians from around the country put up amazing fireworks displays.

This year will be no different.
    -There are six major displays, all computer-fired and choreographed to music. I, along with two other founding members of MAFF, are doing the closing display!
    -There is a *special* display in the works. If you were there in 2012, you might have an idea (1, 10, 100, 1000)... but all I'll say is that it should be VERY loud.
    -Between the displays we will again be firing large specialty (i.e. expensive) shells that you normally wouldn't get to see in a town or city display. If it can be arranged, we may invite members of the public to push the buttons to fire those shells.

MAFF will be at the usual location - 10705 Allens Fresh Rd, Charlotte Hall, MD

Gates will open to the public around 4:30-5:00pm with fireworks starting around 7:30… if we have good weather we expect a fairly large turnout, so getting there early might be a good idea. The hosts will be asking for a $10 donation per vehicle. Half of that donation goes to cover their costs for port-a-pottys, cleanup expenses, road and field maintenance, etc., with the other half split between the local volunteer fire department (who are on-site during the displays) and the local food bank.

I would very strongly suggest hearing protection for children and for adults as well. It gets loud... very loud!
    Charcoal grills and open fires are not allowed. Propane grills are acceptable.
    As this is a family-friendly event, if you chose to bring "adult" beverages please act responsibly and please keep them discrete (e.g. in a solo cup).
    It's very kind of the land owners to allow us to use their property for this event. We want to respect their wishes, be kind to their facilities, and hopefully be welcomed back for many years to come.

Here's a trailer for this year's event - note that all of the video in this trailer was shot at previous MAFF events:
    https://youtu.be/NDEVl8nrrLQ

Let's keep our fingers crossed for good weather!

I'm happy to help answer any questions you may have

May 13, 2005
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

We will definitely be there :) And am very much looking forward to the 'special' display!!!!! But, also any appearance of another Mass Crackle would be friggin awesome too!! That was the best thing I have ever seen. ;)

For anyone even considering this event... Just Go!!!

BigTrain

Jan 3, 2018
    Baltimore
    That's awesome. Dirichlet, do you want a bigger turnout, or is this something you try to keep reasonable? If you want a crowd, you should add it to the Maryland Tourism calendar. It's free, and they help promote. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you deets.

I'm going to try and bring my boys!

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    One of the few things I miss about Maryland, Mid-Atlantic Fireworks Festival always worth going. :party29:

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    We're just a little over three weeks away from MAFF 2018.
    My crew an I have already scripted our show and are beginning to work on the physical production aspect of the display. Our show will be the final display of the evening - I don't think it will disappoint! :party29:

Again, I hope some (or many) of you can make it. Please feel free to contact me or post here if you have any questions.

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    Glad to hear that many of you will be making the show!

Hopefully the current weather forecast will hold, and we'll have clear skies and a gentle north breeze blowing.

Keep in mind that we will typically only cancel for two reasons;
    1: Extreme winds out of the South that put the crowds in danger from falling debris, or
    2: consistent, heavy rain

Also, please remember to bring warm clothing and blankets. It's predicted to be in the high 40's at night, which can get quite cold if you're just sitting still.

I will be checking this thread throughout the week if you have questions. Friday I will be busy with setting up the displays, but will try to check in occasionally.
    I will be extremely busy on Saturday and will probably not be available to check in or post.

Again, let's keep our fingers crossed that the forecast holds - it should be a fun weekend!!

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Trying again to make it. Will be my first, although I did go when it was canceled. Hope weather permits,, Looks good for now.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Just mass texted a bunch of friends about this, went a few years ago and had a good(but cold) time
    Hoping I might run into a friend or two there that are members of the PGII

If you like fireworks as much as I do check out the Pyrotecnics Guild International at www.pgi.org
    we hold a week long fireworks convention that moves around the country every August.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom