• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    Hi, I need to get some small panels (~24" largest dimension) cut out of hardwood for speakers. No profiling needed, just straight cut-outs. Does anyone here run a CNC router or know a shop close to Westminster who takes on small jobs?

Thanks.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    if I am understanding you correctly, any woodworker could make what you need with a hand held router and a pattern bit. CNC would surely work but not mandatory. but perhaps I am not clear in what you want.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Hi, I need to get some small panels (~24" largest dimension) cut out of hardwood for speakers. No profiling needed, just straight cut-outs. Does anyone here run a CNC router or know a shop close to Westminster who takes on small jobs?

Thanks.

Feel free to email over some drawings and I can work up some pricing for you. Not close to Westminster, but never hurts to look.

wwsutton5 (at) Atlantic-Millworkllc (dot) com

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    if I am understanding you correctly, any woodworker could make what you need with a hand held router and a pattern bit. CNC would surely work but not mandatory. but perhaps I am not clear in what you want.

Yep, definitely could be done by hand. My ass-u-mpution is that the time involved in doing it by hand would make it cost prohibitive. Could be wrong.

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    Follow up to the update, mxrider put together what I needed and I'm very pleased with the results. Thought I'd share a couple of pics of the end results after finishing.

Attachments

• IMG_20180313_094838.jpg
      IMG_20180313_094838.jpg
      49.9 KB · Views: 271
    • IMG_20180313_085927.jpg
      IMG_20180313_085927.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 273
    • IMG_20180311_212607.jpg
      IMG_20180311_212607.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 264

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Check out the Shaper Origin

I stumbled onto this video and I’m blown away by the possibilities of this tool. Basically this company created a hand held router that works with digital templates to create precise CNC style fabrication.

I’ve used a Hand Router and templates for years along with some pretty large stone routers at work. I built my own 12x12 CNC router too. At $2500 this thing has great potential. If you are a DIY guy that likes to build wood furniture, signs, Speaker Enclosures, whatever. What I like is that you can potentially fabricate very large patterns that wouldn’t even be possible without a $40K 10’ table CNC.

Check it out. I’d like to see what Iron Pony, or some of you other hobby woodworkers think.

https://youtu.be/_0clzXWSaCw

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Check out the Shaper Origin

I stumbled onto this video and I’m blown away by the possibilities of this tool. Basically this company created a hand held router that works with digital templates to create precise CNC style fabrication.

I’ve used a Hand Router and templates for years along with some pretty large stone routers at work. I built my own 12x12 CNC router too. At $2500 this thing has great potential. If you are a DIY guy that likes to build wood furniture, signs, Speaker Enclosures, whatever. What I like is that you can potentially fabricate very large patterns that wouldn’t even be possible without a $40K 10’ table CNC.

Check it out. I’d like to see what Iron Pony, or some of you other hobby woodworkers think.

https://youtu.be/_0clzXWSaCw

Pretty neat. That video showed what you can do... here's one youtube recommended that shows how it works.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Very cool stuff. Nice room.

But, how does it sound??

Built speakers or those were coverplates? What's the specs

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Looks great!

For future reference here are a couple local resources (I am a member of both places)

Don't know if anybody mentioned this, but there's the Fab lab in Baltimore which has a 4'x8' ShopBot. Anybody can join and use their stuff. The laser cutters are pretty darn handy too. Haven't tried the 3D printing.
    http://www.fablabbaltimore.org/

If you're down around Annapolis there's the Annapolis Maker Space. One of the members has made his CNC available to members. It's 2'x2' if I remember correctly (might be bigger). They have 3D printing and other things. It keeps growing so I am not sure what's available at this point.
    http://www.makeannapolis.org/

Last edited:

SigDog

Feb 11, 2013
    West Virginia
    Really nice job!
    I'm getting ready to redo my basement.
    The biggest job for me would be redoing the ceiling.
    I have a drop ceiling there now, feels like walking into a cave.
    The way you did yours is great!

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I had mxrider help me out with some slots (and correct my mistakes) on the sides of a shelf I am building. Awesome job!!! I will post some pics when I finish it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom