• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    How do those of you who don't have your own property to shoot on practice for IDPA?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I just got an iTarget but have not set it up yet. It was literally delivered yesterday.

Otherwise just dry fire for me. I haven't shot any matches in 7 months, I need to get back into it.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I don't practice for matches. Matches are practice for something else. Worst thing I could do would be to win a match. Then I might catch the competition bug and try to keep winning and declare that shooting while moving backwards two inches at a time is "tactical". I try to keep it fun and use it as a chance to do things I cannot do at a static range. As such, it's usually $20 and 100 or so rounds well-spent.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    If and when you joint TCSC, go to the pistol range and have fun. :)

I practice holstering and drawing at the house, not as much as I should though. Life gets in the way. But like others said, go to matches and shoot. I figure I am the strongest one there since I am at the bottom supporting everyone else LOL

I do it for fun and a little for competition with myself, too many others there are better shooters then I.... but we all have a good time and laugh and tease each other; and congratulate each other on a good round. I like it. Wish I had more time, but I also enjoy my son's hockey.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    If and when you joint TCSC, go to the pistol range and have fun. :)

I'll be at the meeting again on the 3rd. Hopefully will be able to join. My work schedule stinks but I was able to juggle the month of August around the 3rd to make the meeting again. I'm crossing my fingers. I knew if I missed this meeting there wasn't going to be a second chance so I'm hopeful.

I really like the idea of competing in the IDPA matches and plan on observing a few matches before I participate. I went to Heritage the other day and was thinking about IDPA and couldn't figure out how I would practice for it at that kind of range. I still can't hit the bulls-eye more than 3 or 4 shots out of 10 at 10 yards. So, for me, just practicing on aim, sight picture, fundamentals are enough for now.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    The only holster work I do are dry-fire at home and at matches. To improve target acquisition I try to find a range that has a turning target carrier (like at Heritage) and set the timer and start from the low-ready. If I can't find the high-tech ranges, then I just start from low-ready at Hap Baker and get off a round (slow fire only there) on the target and do it again from low-ready...and again...and again...

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Peacemaker. It's a drive, but I've never left unsatisfied. Full access to the Bays just never gets old.

I'd love to do Thurmont, I just work evenings and could never meet the requirements for Meetings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Peacemaker. It's a drive, but I've never left unsatisfied. Full access to the Bays just never gets old.

I'd love to do Thurmont, I just work evenings and could never meet the requirements for Meetings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been hearing more and more about Peacemaker. I'm going to have to make the drive there one day just to see what all the talk is about.

Larry David

Jul 1, 2013
    Carroll County
    I don't practice for matches. Matches are practice for something else. Worst thing I could do would be to win a match. Then I might catch the competition bug and try to keep winning and declare that shooting while moving backwards two inches at a time is "tactical". I try to keep it fun and use it as a chance to do things I cannot do at a static range. As such, it's usually $20 and 100 or so rounds well-spent.

Same reason I shoot IDPA....practice for something else. It's a good time though, just kinda doing my own thing but staying safe at all times.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009

Even as someone who trains to compete, and not compete to train. I have to admit I find this part of IDPA can be amusing.

The plus to USPSA is when you shoot on the move it's because you decided it is the better/faster way to shoot a target not because someone said you had to. IDPA matches at my club don't give you enough room to really get moving so everyone kinda just shuffles along and it seems like such a waste.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Even as someone who trains to compete, and not compete to train. I have to admit I find this part of IDPA can be amusing.

The plus to USPSA is when you shoot on the move it's because you decided it is the better/faster way to shoot a target not because someone said you had to. IDPA matches at my club don't give you enough room to really get moving so everyone kinda just shuffles along and it seems like such a waste.

Here, in a nutshell, is why USPSA is a better game that produces better shooters. IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom