• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swalt443

Mar 12, 2017
    Recently got my hands on a McMillan A4 stock and am looking to build a custom precision rifle on this platform. First and foremost does anyone have recommendations for a reputable gunsmith (preferably not more than an hour from Ceciltuckey) with experience in building precision rifles that could help me with this project. Second, as this is my first custom rifle I'd like to get some recommendations as to what components to use for the build. Was thinking of starting with a Remington model 700 action. Any suggestions welcome

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    Check with Eddie Harren--He is a dedicated Gunsmith with a good record as a shooter . He is in the Frederick area search this forum his Handle is "DocEd"

Jim

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I use Sid Goodling, he is located in Spring Grove, Pa. Sid has built many record breaking/holding rifles. He is open for customers on Tues. & Thurs. 12-8pm.
    He is very, very good and in demand so, he may take a while.

Goodling's Gunsmithing
    1950 Stoverstown Rd.
    Spring Grove, Pa.

717-225-3350

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Both of these are great recommendations, I can add much else. I had Jim Borden from Borden actions build one for me.

BLS27

May 1, 2015
    Mt. Airy
    I second DocEd! He has worked on a few of my rifles to include pillar bedding, threading and bolt knobs to name a few. Great guy and he knows his shit!

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    DocEd built my 700. Consistently shoots 1/2 moa and have several .2 groups during load development. I've been very happy. I also talked to Kevin cram at Montour county rifles and I am considering him for my next build.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    DocEd is THE man. He has done work for me and I have nothing but the best to say about the results. He stuck a Krieger barrel in one of my .308s that shot a new personal best 5rnd group with a .30cal rifle. I have yet to take one of my varmint guns to him for work (I rebarrel two of them myself, so no need) but I have no doubt that he would do excellent work on them as well. His shop gives me hope for the trade of gunsmiths. It reeks of machine oil and cleaning solvents. Decorated with his benchrest shooting honors (there are a great many of them), it is a place any true rifle lover should visit.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use Short Action Custom in Ohio or Long Rifles Inc out west. Easy with Fed Ex. Fast, excellent work. I have had work done by both shops and and been more than satisfied with the work and price.

If you are going to have the action trued and tuned, start with a custom action. Stiller or Kelbly are nice, and cheaper than buying a Rem 700 action and having it tuned and trued. Sturgeon if you want to spend a bit more.

I like Lilja barrels, but Bartlein can be easier to get and still very good.

Swalt443

Mar 12, 2017
    I appreciate the good information. Any suggestions on what components to build the rifle with? I could have it built to spec of the m40a3 and would have a fine rifle but am open to any suggestions on alternate actions, trigger, or barrel that may improve upon the 1/2 minute guarantee of a to spec m40a3

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Do your pocket book a big favor and don't fall into the M40 series sniper rifle copies. Just about every shop I have seen charges WAY too much for them compared to what you get. A reputable smith will not steer you wrong as to what is needed to build an accurate rifle. Sid Goodling has built several of my match rifles and all of them will easily shoot well under 1/2 MOA. With the proper loads, my rifles will produce groups in the 0.1"-0.2" range. Sid is a benchrest guy and he strives for the highest level of precision in his builds. The McMillan stock you have, a Remington action and a Kreiger barrel ( or Bartlein if you prefer) will give all the accuracy you want. You can spend more for custom actions but, it really isn't necessary for the type of build you want. I would suggest a Sako type extractor for the bolt. There are lots of aftermarket triggers available for the 700 action but IMHO, a properly tuned factory trigger works about as good as anything out there ( unless it's an Anschutz trigger). I have Jewel, CG, Davies and Anschutz triggers on some of my rifles so, I speak from experience. You will want the rifle pillar bedded also. If you plan to shoot from position, a 3 way adjustable buttplate and a handstop rail are highly recommended.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If I were to build one:

Stiller, Kelblys or Sturgeon action. Which ever one you like and can afford.

Lilja barrel. But several other good choices.

Timney trigger

Manners stock with Mini Chassis

I would put a 20 MOA rail, and a Vortex Razor Gen II (if within budget) or a Viper PST Gen II (for less).

OR, just order a Sako TRG-22 (.308) or TRG-42 (.300 Win Mag) and be done with it.

When I was looking at building a .300 Win Mag to match my .308 rifle, over on Sniper's Hide, the overwhelming response was just buy the Sako TRG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom