• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Just got this one in earlier today. Semi-Impulse auction win, but I've been wanting one of these since I got my C&R so I couldn't pass it up. 1959 Ruger Standard (Mk I) with a 6" barrel.

The auction said that it was almost mint condition and I'm inclined to agree. With the exception of a little bit of blue wear on the back of the grip, it looks brand new. The pictures I took suck in regards to showing it. I think it was a bargain at $285 plus shipping. Sure, you can get a brand new Mk III for only a little bit more, but the C&R makes it worth not dealing with the MD BS, at least to me. Feels great in my hand, and it points and holds like a Luger/Nambu (the latter is what it was partially designed from).

Anybody else have one of these?

Attachments

• IMG_9466.jpg
      IMG_9466.jpg
      71.3 KB · Views: 594
    • IMG_9470_3.jpg
      IMG_9470_3.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 623

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    My father has one he bought new, with the four inch barrel. (Or is it 4.5"? I forget.) Barely used and just gorgeous. Not sure about the year, but definitely from around that time.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    I got one a few years ago (sorry for the poor pic, but its all I had handy... it is in 98% condition... the specs on it is lint). I love mine. Pretty much got mine for the same reason you did. They are great shooting guns. Congrats on an excellent C&R pickup.

Attachments

• New Picture.jpg
      New Picture.jpg
      71.2 KB · Views: 525

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks guys! Hopefully I can get outside and shoot it soon. Any certain kinds of ammo that work better/worse in these? Luckily, I have plenty of .22 so I don't have to worry about paying $75 a brick at the Howard County show this weekend.

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    Thanks guys! Hopefully I can get outside and shoot it soon. Any certain kinds of ammo that work better/worse in these? Luckily, I have plenty of .22 so I don't have to worry about paying $75 a brick at the Howard County show this weekend.

I recommend standard velocity stuff... stay away from the high and hyper in my experience with it. Mine is most accurate with the standard stuff and I wonder if the high and hyper isn't a little harder on it.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I recommend standard velocity stuff... stay away from the high and hyper in my experience with it. Mine is most accurate with the standard stuff and I wonder if the high and hyper isn't a little harder on it.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I was leaning towards also. Definitely Not going to put any CCI mini-mags through it.

I thought subsonics might be cool for dispatching varmints quietly but after reading a few links on Google, it sounds like subs don't quiet down too much in the Rugers due to the action and short barrel.

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I was leaning towards also. Definitely Not going to put any CCI mini-mags through it.

I thought subsonics might be cool for dispatching varmints quietly but after reading a few links on Google, it sounds like subs don't quiet down too much in the Rugers due to the action and short barrel.

Yeah, Remington subsonics in mine only cycle it part time. I usually use CCI standard velocity. I have a bunch of CCI quiet, but don't recall if I've ever tried it in it.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Took her for a spin earlier before it got dark. Shoots great. The mag had a couple misfeeds, but I'll chock that up to me loading it incorrectly (the magazine is a little finicky) plus it had some grease in it.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    After I had successfully quit smoking for 30 days a Ruger MK1 was my first milestone reward to myself.

Shortly after that I replaced my tobacco addiction with renewed focus on my gun collecting and reloading passion. Then I joined this forum and got a C&R. :banghead:

I've seen no reason to not continue to reward myself since! I LOVE my Ruger MK1

:D

Attachments

• MKIRight(r).jpg
      MKIRight(r).jpg
      43.4 KB · Views: 292

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    must... resist urge... to... dip in a pile of molten cyanide salts...

I want to find one with good rifling but has some finish wear, and have it melonite treated.

It would never rust, and I could never shoot it out in a hundred years...

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    Not to nitpick, but it looks like you have a Ruger Standard, which was the first gun Ruger produced. The Mark I had adjustable target sights. I can't tell for sure from the pics, but your's appears to have fixed sights, which would make it a Standard. The Standard was the first gun I bought,used, from the guy down the street. It cost me a whopping $25 with 2 mags and a leather holster. Sold it for $35 a few years later. Thought I made a killing, but I've been kicking myself ever since. Very accurate, reliable pistol. I am jealous.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    must... resist urge... to... dip in a pile of molten cyanide salts...

I want to find one with good rifling but has some finish wear, and have it melonite treated.

It would never rust, and I could never shoot it out in a hundred years...

Gee, you sure like that Melonite stuff don't ya? :innocent0 Just messing with ya.

When I was bidding on this one, there was another C&R one on Gunbroker with a 4 inch barrel that only went for $195. It had a bit of finish wear on it, so it'd be perfect to get the Melonite treatment. Keep an eye out on there, there's lots of decent deals on these to be had

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom