• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I'm looking for any range/field reports you all may have of older pmags circa 2008-2010. I have a stash of them that I never got around to using for extended periods of time and testing for myself. Does anyone have some info on the older pmags durability and reliability after long term use? I searched the net already. Aside from them not working in all NATO weapon systems, I haven't found much on the older pmags so I assume that could mean few problems have been reported?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't know if mine are that old, but I haven't had an issue with any of my Pmags. I would think that as long as they weren't stored loaded with ammo, they should be good to go.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks J. The few I have used for a while are still good. None of them have been through classes or had high round counts though.

No body else has experience with older Pmags?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Unless there is HEAVY fouling or foreign debris in the magazine, have really bad cracks, or rusted springs they should be fine.

Quick way to test is to have a safe place to point the gun, load the magazines full, lock the bolt back in the rifle, put the safety ON, and load a mag HARD. I mean slam it in.

If rounds dont pop out the magazine should be good. Beyond those checks you should number them and just shoot them.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    mine have performed fine, but they seem to be slightly wider than newer ones, with a little bit of tightness in some lowers, most prominently with 20 rounders for some reason. They work great, though

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I've been told by industry guys that the president of Magpul has a gen 1 PMAG on his desk that's been loaded since the beginning and it exhibits zero issues.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Is it bad to leave Pmags loaded?

I've heard told that leaving mags with plastic lips loaded can deform those lips over time, resulting in problems. Pmags have a clip that you can put on the top (or at least they used to) where you can compress a loaded mag a bit further, keeping pressure off of the lips of the mag.

Yep, that was my point. As with any mag. I don't like to keep them loaded for extended periods.

Myth bushed on this one. Magazine springs don't take a "set" or anything like that. Springs wear out from the use, not being stored in a given position for some length of time.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Yep, that was my point. As with any mag. I don't like to keep them loaded for extended periods.

Myth bushed on this one. Magazine springs don't take a "set" or anything like that. Springs wear out from the use, not being stored in a given position for some length of time.

I did a sample size of one test with a USGI 1911 magazine of unknown age (got it from a friend back in the day). Said mag was kept loaded and once every year or two taken to the range and fired then immediately reloaded and shelved. At 21 years of fully loaded the spring sh*t the bed. In other words, I just ain't gonna worry about storing loaded mags.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    They are not to be trusted. I will gladly dispose of them for you free of charge. Since I'm a WV resident and can be trusted with standard mags I feel it is my duty to help you out (since most the folks here can't), I will even pay shipping fees.

All jokes aside I would think they should work fine and looks like other have weighed in.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Colored P-Mags had a tendency to crack lips faster than black ones after heat exposure. Something to do with the color pellet's reaction with the polymer. This is something I picked up in an armorer's class and people had actually tested the theory out. This was in 2012, not sure if things have changed or not.

I've also had P-Mags that wouldn't lock in during extremely cold weather when taken out of the trunk of a car.

They're good mags but they're still plastic. Given the minimal replacement cost I wouldn't trust old ones from them or anyone else for anything but range use.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Why not for any mag?

Springs do not go bad from being compressed.

I have 1911 mags that sat loaded for over 15 years. They work fine.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I've heard told that leaving mags with plastic lips loaded can deform those lips over time, resulting in problems. Pmags have a clip that you can put on the top (or at least they used to) where you can compress a loaded mag a bit further, keeping pressure off of the lips of the mag.

The latest ones (Gen 3) have the clip on caps that slightly compress the rounds to take pressure off the feed lips.

IMO, probably due to internet cowboys stating the "fact" that the lips deform.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Why not for any mag?

Springs do not go bad from being compressed.

I have 1911 mags that sat loaded for over 15 years. They work fine.

Working fine and not have a degradation are 2 entirely different things.

That's why there are opinions, I won't keep a mag loaded for more than a few months, then it gets taken out of circulation and a new one is put in it's place. I don't like to keep my mags loaded for extended periods of time.

Do what you please, they're your mags.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Working fine and not have a degradation are 2 entirely different things.

That's why there are opinions, I won't keep a mag loaded for more than a few months, then it gets taken out of circulation and a new one is put in it's place. I don't like to keep my mags loaded for extended periods of time.

Do what you please, they're your mags.

There is such a thing as bad advice. The advise you gave in regards to magazines is bad advice.

No quality magazine (pmags are quality magazines) will take a set that is not designed into the specs of the spring.

Keeping quality magazines loaded does nothing bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom