• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    The way the commissioner words his proposal is well intended, but lacks teeth and will be twisted. He says "illegal" guns. What does that mean? Stolen guns, guns obtained through straw purchases, firearms used by prohibited persons? Remember, the FSA created prohibited people out of current law abiding firearm owners.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    stolen guns, prohibited possessors, and straw purchase all already carry a longer penalty. he must be talking about people stopping at mcdonalds on the way to the range, and business owners carrying outside their restrictions.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    stolen guns, prohibited possessors, and straw purchase all already carry a longer penalty. he must be talking about people stopping at mcdonalds on the way to the range, and business owners carrying outside their restrictions.
    Yup! That's part of it. We need to make more citizens felons.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    So, the perp already had a criminal history including arrests involving illegal guns. That already makes his crime of shooting the officer a felony offense.

Anyone convicted of illegally carrying a handgun may only be guilty of a misdemeanor but you will then be prohibited from even possessing a handgun afterwards.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Maryland's felony charges are so out of wack with the rest of the country it isn't funny.

For instance there are only two assault charges in Maryland (well 3 if you count assaulting an officer) but you either get a 2nd Degree Assault charge (this could be as simple as pushing someone) which is a TEN YEAR sentence or 1st Degree Assault which is a felony. The idea that if you have a balled up fist and start talking crap about punching someone you can get 10 years in jail is rather mind blowing.

In many states anything over a 2 year sentence is a felony. Maryland has MANY Misd. offenses that are punishable by sentences over 90 days.

Why don't we just try this. Why don't we hold the States Attorney, Judge, and Parole and Probation folks responsible for their (in)actions? If you get caught carrying illegally I believe it's a 3 year max sentence. So just that conviction alone makes your prohibited. Making a ten year felony isn't going to deter the guy who is already planning a felony drug enterprise, a felony assault, or attempting to murder someone.

It is almost laughable that he'd even suggest such. Just put the people away for the correct amount of time and put some teeth back into the criminal [in]Justice system.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Maryland's felony charges are so out of wack with the rest of the country it isn't funny.

For instance there are only two assault charges in Maryland (well 3 if you count assaulting an officer) but you either get a 2nd Degree Assault charge (this could be as simple as pushing someone) which is a TEN YEAR sentence or 1st Degree Assault which is a felony. The idea that if you have a balled up fist and start talking crap about punching someone you can get 10 years in jail is rather mind blowing. .

I can assure you, the LEOs and Judges in MD are very reasonable. Assault 2 is a misdemeanor and for most fisticuffs situations you may not even get arrested as long as no one really gets hurt. If both guys are drunk, most likely nothing will happen. If it does go to court, as long as the victim does not suffer serious injuries you will most likely catch a PBJ and maybe a little community service.

Quite frankly, I am pretty happy with MD assault laws.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Didn't the Dems scuttle the mandatory sentencing part of FSA 2013 / SB281?

Because there are no evil people. Just evil pistol grips and high caliber clip-a-zines.

Actually, because it would reduce the D voter pool through increased incarceration and reduced fatalities during the elections.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

For instance there are only two assault charges in Maryland (well 3 if you count assaulting an officer) but you either get a 2nd Degree Assault charge (this could be as simple as pushing someone) which is a TEN YEAR sentence or 1st Degree Assault which is a felony. The idea that if you have a balled up fist and start talking crap about punching someone you can get 10 years in jail is rather mind blowing.

In many states anything over a 2 year sentence is a felony. Maryland has MANY Misd. offenses that are punishable by sentences over 90 days.

Why don't we just try this. Why don't we hold the States Attorney, Judge, and Parole and Probation folks responsible for their (in)actions? If you get caught carrying illegally I believe it's a 3 year max sentence. So just that conviction alone makes your prohibited. Making a ten year felony isn't going to deter the guy who is already planning a felony drug enterprise, a felony assault, or attempting to murder someone.

It is almost laughable that he'd even suggest such. Just put the people away for the correct amount of time and put some teeth back into the criminal [in]Justice system.

You know, that's not a bad idea. Arrest and prosecute them for conspiracy for the subsequent crime, since they could have reasonably foreseen the recidivism. Maybe OweMalley can use it as a talking point in a debate. We can try it in NYC or CA first.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    You know, that's not a bad idea. Arrest and prosecute them for conspiracy for the subsequent crime, since they could have reasonably foreseen the recidivism. Maybe OweMalley can use it as a talking point in a debate. We can try it in NYC or CA first.

I'm not talking about making them an accessory to the crime (although good thought) but it's not unreasonable to come to some logical conclusion when the recidivism rate is between 60-75% depending on what study you look at. So yes if 60-75% of the folks who you Nolle Pros, give a PBJ to, or give a suspended or light sentence to reoffends within 2 years I hold them accountable in my mind.

It is a common practice for the States Attorneys in many part of Maryland to take the first "serious" offense and play hard ball with a "suspended sentence" or a PBJ because "when they violate they'll get the time". Well why don't we just skip around the next 3-6 victims and put them away the first time.

In short I like your idea of jailing all those associated although I think a more logical explanation would be to not keep the judges, incapable states attorneys, and parole and probation officers on the pay roll.

Sorry but a guy who has his 6th DUI in 15 years should not get a weekend of house arrest and 1 year of probation as a sentence. That's just one personal example I know of have many more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom