• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    What do you guys feel is the best pair of compact binoculars for under $120? I would like a pair to keep in my truck and maybe toss in my pack when I find a good trail. I was thinking 8 or 10 power. I have tried the cheaper tasco, bushnell, and simmons brands. They always manage to get knocked out of whack pretty easily.

Laugh, but you can go on Shopgoodwill.com and for 120$ pick up 800$ or 1000$
    worth of good binoculars. It's Goodwill's online auction and you should be able to find it easily with an online search. I've gotten some very nice pairs for around 15$ with shipping. There is an outlet in Forestville, PG just inside the beltway on Pennsylvania Ave. They have had some good pairs if you want to pick them up. Only location you can do that in Maryland,other wise all the other locations around the country ship. Go on the Shopgoodwill.com site and under search put in binoculars. Any given day there are about 10 pairs up for bid. Also a great place to get inexpensive boots and hunting gear.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Laugh, but you can go on Shopgoodwill.com and for 120$ pick up 800$ or 1000$
    worth of good binoculars. It's Goodwill's online auction and you should be able to find it easily with an online search. I've gotten some very nice pairs for around 15$ with shipping. There is an outlet in Forestville, PG just inside the beltway on Pennsylvania Ave. They have had some good pairs if you want to pick them up. Only location you can do that in Maryland,other wise all the other locations around the country ship. Go on the Shopgoodwill.com site and under search put in binoculars. Any given day there are about 10 pairs up for bid. Also a great place to get inexpensive boots and hunting gear.

Great tip thanks!

I do believe with some knowledge, patience, and luck, this could be the most cost effective way to go.

For my bird watching purposes, binos between $100-$200 is about the sweet spot for me as well. I bought a pair of compact binos on clearance from the PX several years ago, I think I paid ~$130, they are labeled 'Browning', but my guess is they are actually a knockoff (or down brand relabeling) of some expensive binos. I do know they are the best binos I'll probably ever own. Great for hunting, bird watching, taking to the range or sporting event. With a steady hold I can read license plates half way down my street.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    I will put these out there for consideration.

8x25 BAK4 Porro

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-binocular-59220.html

I don't have much experience with binoculars so I cant comment on how they compare to others compacts in the price range. They are definitely small and light. The case and lens caps are cheap, but I think that is common especially in this price range.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have been very happy with Nikkon optics on the set that I have for my boat. My advise is to go to a store like Bass Pro or Gander Mt where they have many binoculars to choose from and compare them all within your price range.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    1. I'd recommend against Nikon bino's. Warranty is crap and they are not as rugged as they should be. The company just isn't what they used to be.

2. Leupold's are my favorite. Fantastic build quality with great optics, even the cheaper pairs.

3. These became my new hunting binoculars. Replaced a few other, much higher priced pairs. Almost all Celestron products have fantastic reviews. Great optics, great build, and affordable:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KLAW30/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    These have been indestructible so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1599.jpg
      IMG_1599.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 257

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Wow! A lot of good options. I can't see I am most likely going to end up with several pair. Thanks for all the responses.

I'm really partial to Nikon products. I have several scopes and a pair of their larger binoculars and I love them all. I was originally considering the 10x25 Aculons or Trailblazers. They seem to have very good reviews. Does anyone here have first hand experience with them?

I'm definitely going to check out the other recommendation. Does anyone know if the leupold binoculars are made in the USA like their scopes?

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I had the Leupold Rogue bino's which are very close to your price range:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-binoculars.html

Lost them on a hunting trip and replaced with similar level Nikon binoculars. Very unhappy with the Nikons! First time I went to use them, they lost their collimation. Figured I could send to Nikon no problem, but they tried to charge me $50 to fix! After I told them about the $10k in Nikon optics I had (used to work as a photographer) and argued with 4 different people on the phone, they finally agreed to repair/replace them. I have a $700 Nikon scope I purchased new that will not hold zero I will be sending back soon and assume I'll have the same issues with warranty...

Leupold, Vortex and Celestron are what I try to stick with now.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Tomandjerry00, thanks for sharing. I meant to ask you earlier why the turn off to Nikon.

As a total surprise to me, my work just today gave me a gift card for being safe! That just upped my budget by $100. I found these Vortex binoculars and I think the rating and warranty speaks for itself!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt..._SEQ_104217480?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

I think this is the pair that will follow me home tonight from Cabelas.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Tomandjerry00, thanks for sharing. I meant to ask you earlier why the turn off to Nikon.

As a total surprise to me, my work just today gave me a gift card for being safe! That just upped my budget by $100. I found these Vortex binoculars and I think the rating and warranty speaks for itself!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt..._SEQ_104217480?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

I think this is the pair that will follow me home tonight from Cabelas.

No problem! Those Vortex binos are sweet and you should love them! The smaller form factor is also a huge plus. You'll be much more comfortable bringing them along on hikes or trips you wouldn't want to bring a full-size pair. Thats why I also reach for my Celestron's. When I was elk hunting in Colorado last year, I was very happy I had a small pair of bino's to lug around vs the full-size pair my hunting buddy brought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom