• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Talk me into or out of this knife. It will be my first (most likely only) USA made Spyderco. I have the Tenacious and I freaking LOVE that knife! Is the Military worth the price? I really like the length of this knife just in case it was needed for self defense. I understand the tip is rather thin, but I don't ever pry with my knives that shouldn't be an issue. I need a knife to cut rope, heavy plastic sheets/tarps, wood(NOT batoning with it), and tons of cardboard. It will be used at work and in the woods around the campsite. $140 is a lot for a pocket knife and I would really like to hear from you guys if this knife is truly up to these tasks. Thanks all!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I do not own the Spyderco Military but I have played with a few. My opinion is that the knife carries just as large as it is. As in you don't easily lose it in a pocket. For me that's a downfall. Benchmades seem to disappear no matter how big they are. The blade quality on the spyderco is good and I haven't seen one that you can't get razor sharp. The blade is a little thin for a heavy use knife but gets cutting jobs done with ease. You may want to look into a Benchmade 710 or the 300. Also the Adamas is a beast of a knife. No matter what route you go I would go find a dealer and fondle a few.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    For heavy use like that, I would go to a full serrated like the Spyderco Rescue. I have an older 93mm blade Rescue that tears through everything and another member used one on his job at Bass Pro where it performed very well. The military and police models are wonderful knives but I consider them better weapons than tools as a rule.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The blade is large, and a fantastic slicer, S30V is tough, so shouldn't worry too much about damaging it provided you use the knife like a knife, and avoid stressing the tip. It is an older design though, the liner lock and a single lock side/tip-down clip location limit the utility and are outdated. The G10 texture is decent, but the choil and grip pocket are very shallow, so easy to slip, and the handle is very large. If you need that much blade, the police 3 G10 is better IMO, much more secure handle shape, more blade with a more manageable handle, more secure midlock, multiple clip positions. VG10 can hold a very sharp fine edge longer than S30V, but S30V is tougher and holds a decent working edge a lot longer, both are great steels. The Police 3 is also available fully serrated, great if you plan on cutting a lot of tough stuff. If you don't need as long of an edge the Manix 2 XL is a better more versatile knife in most every way, broader blade, stronger tip, only downside is about 1/4" less edge, shiny polished liners and clip (black version is less noticeable and looks way better IMO) and broader in the pocket, but the grip shape is phenominal, and the lock is stronger, harder to release inadvertently, easier to release when you want to, and can be pulled to flip the knife open or closed without touching the blade.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks for all the info so far guy!

I am not too concerned with the size of the knife. I was previously carrying the Gerber Combat Folder and I loved the size of that knife. I do like a larger handle because I have to wear gloves periodically. I like the looks of those Benchmades too. I might have to check them out. How are the blade locks on them? As for serrations, Im really not a fan. I have had Gerbers, Kershaws, and Bucks with serrations. I dont like the looks and I hate resharpening them. Thats actually one of the reasons I am looking to replace my Combat Folder.

Can anyone recommend a good knife shop where I can check out a good (USA made) selection? I live in White Marsh but dont mind taking a trip if the shop is awesome.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have one. For a large knife, it's relatively light and thin; a good daily carry. Nice large handle and the steel holds an edge well.

That being said, I wouldn't call it a "heavy duty" knife. If you are looking for a hard use knife, I would look at a HEST or Zero Tolerance.

ETA: I also have a Benchmade Barrage with M390 Supersteel. It's also a great knife, but it is heavier.

b3c042a9-f14b-4f7e-a622-d9d766098832_zps58a3cf71.jpg

2012-01-03133649-2.jpg

Can't forget the Spyderco Delica4 with Damascus blade and titanium bolsters; beautiful and functional.

IMG_20140421_194501_zps0fee026a.jpg

Last edited:

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I like the looks of those Benchmades too. I might have to check them out. How are the blade locks on them?

The AXIS lock is IMO the best lock designed PERIOD. You can see the tests they go through here. Once you get used to opening and closing with the AXIS lock everything else just feels slow.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thanks for all the info so far guy!

I am not too concerned with the size of the knife. I was previously carrying the Gerber Combat Folder and I loved the size of that knife. I do like a larger handle because I have to wear gloves periodically. I like the looks of those Benchmades too. I might have to check them out. How are the blade locks on them? As for serrations, Im really not a fan. I have had Gerbers, Kershaws, and Bucks with serrations. I dont like the looks and I hate resharpening them. Thats actually one of the reasons I am looking to replace my Combat Folder.

Can anyone recommend a good knife shop where I can check out a good (USA made) selection? I live in White Marsh but dont mind taking a trip if the shop is awesome.

Trop in Elizabethtown, PA, good prices competitive with online vendors, has a TON of knives, lots of Benchmades, and probably the best gun shop in the region. Country Knives in Lancaster literally has every knife on the market including sprint and limited runs, prices are insane, usually double online pricing, the theory is it's the guy's private collection, pretending to be a store to appease his wife. Benchmade's axis is probably the best lock design out there, ambi, easy to flip open or closed, extremely strong, doesn't interfere with the grip areas of the handle, and self adjusts for wear. Spyderco's BB lock on the manix series is similar, but is stiffer, definitely not as simple.

As far as serrations go, Spyderco is the only company I would even consider getting them on, other than a cheap throw away work knife. Their serration pattern is good, but that isn't the best feature, they have a consistent shape that is easily matched with the sharpmaker or a couple of their ceramic stones, even then their steel rarely chips, so you just need to straighten rolls on the edge which can be done with the edge of most any piece of steel. Then simply sharpen the flat back side at a very low angle, and strop both sides with leather, and it will be good as new in little time. Due to the design a serrated edge doesn't wear anything like a plain edge anyway, and it still works when fairly dull, so you only need to touch it up a fraction of the times you need to stone a plain edge, and you can send it in with $5 for shipping to get sharpened by the factory.

Combo edges kinda suck IMO, they are very specialized to initiate a tear and follow through with a clean cut, each portion is too small to really work well for their more general purposes. Benchmade's are some of the worst, shallow serrations with a steep edge angle, and usually inset deep in the blade so there isn't a smooth transition to the plain portion. Full serrations are unbeatable for edge longevity, guiding push cuts, or slicing through tough material, plain edge cuts precise and clean, most of the time one of the other suits your purpose, I usually carry one or both depending on my needs.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Trop in Elizabethtown, PA, good near online prices, has a TON of knives, lots of Benchmades, and probably the best gun shop in the region. Country Knives in Lancaster literally has every knife on the market including sprint and limited runs, prices are insane, 2-3X online pricing, the theory is it's the guy's collection, pretending to be a store. Benchmade's axis is probably the best lock design out there, ambi, easy to flip open or closed, extremely strong, doesn't interfere with the grip areas of the handle, and self adjusts for wear. Spyderco's BB lock on the manix series is similar, but is stiffer, definitely not as simple.

As far as serrations go, Spyderco is the only company I would even consider getting them on, other than a cheap throw away work knife. Their serration pattern is good, but that isn't the best feature, they have a consistent shape that is easily matched with the sharpmaker or a couple of their ceramic stones, even then their steel rarely chips, so you just need to straighten rolls on the edge which can be done with the edge of most any piece of steel. Then simply sharpen the flat back side at a very low angle, and strop both sides with leather, and it will be good as new in little time. Due to the design a serrated edge doesn't wear anything like a plain edge anyway, and it still works when fairly dull, so you only need to touch it up a fraction of the times you need to stone a plain edge, and you can send it in with $5 for shipping to get sharpened by the factory.

Combo edges kinda suck IMO, they are very specialized to initiate a tear and follow through with a clean cut, each portion is too small to really work well for their more general purposes. Benchmade's are some of the worst, shallow serrations with a steep edge angle, and usually inset deep in the blade so there isn't a smooth transition to the plain portion. Full serrations are unbeatable for edge longevity, guiding push cuts, or slicing through tough material, plain edge cuts precise and clean, most of the time one of the other suits your purpose, I usually carry one or both depending on my needs.

I agree. I wish I had bought mine with no serrations.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    For the uses you describe, good matches are Para Military 2 and Caly 3.5. Both are large knives. Different locks. Former has S30V steel. Latter has VG10. Both steels are excellent. VG10 holds a razor edge longer. S30V holds a working edge longer. VG10 is easier to sharpen. Tough choice or buy both.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I agree. I wish I had bought mine with no serrations.

if it's Kershaw/ZT or Benchmade you can usually get a plain edge replacement blade installed for around $20 from the factory, Emerson usually wants $100, not sure about spyderco, would have to ask them. All my good stuff is plain edge now, really liked the full serrated tenacious, the FFG serrations cut like nothing else, but really fell in love with the little salt knives, the saver is a mini rescue, salt I is a delica, and tasman is a hawkbill, all in H1 steel and can be had under $50. My salt saver is tiny, very thin, and light with less than a 3" blade, but the serrations rip through plastic packaging, rope or zip ties, and saves my pricey plain edge folders from damage, and sharpening as frequently. The steel work hardens from grinding, serrated edges supposedly test above 65 HRC, it is extremely tough and chip resistant, and is chemically rustproof, all perfect attributes for a knife that will see work. So far after about a year of daily use Haven't needed to take a stone to it, I straighten edge rolls and bent teeth with the spine of a cheap kitchen knife, then strop it on a leather belt loaded with compound on a power sander, and it comes back better than new, the edge does not "wear" or dull it just rolls, although even still I haven't let it get too dull to slice paper cleanly.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Ok, I hate you all. I was only going to buy one knife, but now I want all of these knives! Looking at all the choices, I think I am leaning towards the Manix 2 XL. I like that it has the lock similar to the Benchmade knives, but not the price, and its still pretty large. Another plus for Spyderco is the spyder hole. To me, that is much more comfortable than the thumb studs. I also like the idea of getting a dedicated serrated knife and carrying that also. You guys are really a bad influence. The Military is still on my list of wants though. That knife just looks sexy.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I would add the Paramilitary 2 to your list as well, since it has many design enhancements over the Military. The Paramilitary 2 is smaller - but it is by no means a small EDC, IMO.

Pics below include (always left to right) the Paramilitary 2, Military, and Manix 2 XL (since alucard already endorsed it). All three are CPM-S30V, G10. I'm a knife whore; so deciding isn't my strong suit. Since I can't pick one, I'd say of the three, I'd offload the Military first.

Attachments

• IMAG0228.jpg
      IMAG0228.jpg
      130.4 KB · Views: 428
    • IMAG0229.jpg
      IMAG0229.jpg
      126 KB · Views: 418
    • IMAG0231.jpg
      IMAG0231.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 491

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's not as useful for EDC when compared to a manix xl or PM2....but the wave matriarch's are pretty nifty little defense knives. Of course you're sacrificing a lot of useful ergonomics/blade shape/lock ease of use/materials quality over a PM2, Manix, or domino to get slightly mo-betta fighting utility for something you'll likely never use for defense. It's cool enough to toss in here though

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SP12SBK2W/Spyderco-C12SBK2W-Matriarch2-Lightweight-Emerson-Opener

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    You guys really aren't making this easy. Who has an Endura? Those look sweet and a good deal at about $65. I can see where this is going. I'm going to have about a dozen knives showing up at my door in the next week or so!

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    You guys really aren't making this easy. Who has an Endura? Those look sweet and a good deal at about $65. I can see where this is going. I'm going to have about a dozen knives showing up at my door in the next week or so!

Have an Endura wave. A lot of knife for the $$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom