• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    From WVCDL. This is a big damned deal. The DNR regulations in WV are nearly as bad as Maryland's gun laws as a whole and there are many places where WV law and DNR regulations conflict.

With this law, people like me who don't hunt, but use night vision on our property just to watch what kinds of animals are out there at night could run afoul of the law.

Night Vision Ban
    Own night vision?

Thinking about owning night vision? Well, the state apparently does not want you to. But they're not going so far as to just ban night vision. They only want to ban it if you happen to have a firearm.

Night vision is very expensive, and extremely useful technology. It gives the night back to mankind. You can use it in a million ways to do a million things in the dark, that you could never before do.

Have you ever looked at the stars with quality night vision? Trust me, the view is stunning.

This bill is guised as a "poaching" bill. But we know better. We can tell because hunting deer at night is already illegal. This is about discouraging the use of night vision among gun owners..

I promise you, if you're using night vision for whatever reason, and happen to have your concealed carry firearm on you, DNR, or WVSP, or whomever the arresting agency is will very much appreciate your gift to them. Because they'll confiscate that night vision right along with your handgun.

Remember, this is not about hunting or poaching. Because hunting at night is already illegal. They don't need an extra section in the law. This is about denying you modern defensive technology.

There are bills in both houses, and they are poised to run.

Call delegate Allen Evans (R-Grant) at (304) 340-3399, AND send him an email at allen.evans@wvhouse.gov. Remind him that hunting at night is already illegal, and ask him to kill HB2420.

Also call deleate Bill Hamilton (R-Upshur) at (304) 340-3167, and email him at bill.hamilton@wvhouse.gov. He co-chairs the committee.

Then call and email Senator Robert Karnes (R - Upshur), remind him the same, and ask him to kill SB278. His number is (304) 357-7906 and his email is robert.karnes@wvsenate.gov

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I was really surprised to see alot of WV hunters at Green Ridge with out of state licenses. They explained to me that WV is not very friendly to hunters. I wouldnt have guessed.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I was really surprised to see alot of WV hunters at Green Ridge with out of state licenses. They explained to me that WV is not very friendly to hunters. I wouldnt have guessed.

Worse still are numerous conflicts where you can be legal according to the criminal statutes but in violation of hunting regulations. A trooper may not arrest you for something that a DNR cop will.

They've been working for years to resolve those conflicts, but who knows where they all stand right now.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    More libtard logic...this legislation is squarely aimed at impacting law abiding gun owners and hunters.

Or just plain property owners. I have one of those old Zeiss night vision setups and I like to go down on my mountain land and just look around at the animals moving across the property at night.

So, my handgun is there too, but the two things have nothing to do with one another and I get snapped up for being in violation of this thing? Silly.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    i give it about 5 years before some cell phones have built in oem thermal imagers, and many smart devices have camera sensors sensitive enough to qualify as digital NV.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    So poaching in WV is having night vision and any firearm (even if no shots fired) on your person.

If you are in your car and there is a 12 pack of Coors with you (even if you haven't been drinking), is it a DUI?

WV DNR cops must be psychic. Charging people as criminals before the inevitable crime. :rolleyes:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    So poaching in WV is having night vision and any firearm (even if no shots fired) on your person.

If you are in your car and there is a 12 pack of Coors with you (even if you haven't been drinking), is it a DUI?

WV DNR comps must be psychic. Charging people as criminals before the inevitable crime. :rolleyes:

You don't want to have an uncased rifle in your vehicle after dark during hunting season, they will charge you.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Everyone who reads this thread needs to email the WV reps listed and tell them to kill this bill. We need to help the freedom fighters in other States when the call goes out, especially those States that are right next door.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Well, I don't have night vision equipment, but I don't care for the proposed ban.
    Norton's story clearly shows the pitfalls.
    I'll be contacting the parties involved asking that the bills be tabled.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Wait until they get over run with hogs. They'll be practically required for serious hog hunting.

Eventually a near total boycott by hunters leading to dangerous over population may be required. For now sense may prevail..Hunters need to organise..

I am not a hunter but I will support them..but I are a political prisoner of MD right now.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    This smacks of the "illegal hidden compartment in your vehicle" bill that a thoughtless MD legislator tried to push through here.

Need to knock down that WV idiocy. Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    WV had like 5% economic growth in 2013. Where do you think all those transplants came from?

Dec 31, 2012
    The disease from Maryland is spreading to neighboring states.
    A significant number of those living on the WV panhandle are MD/DC retirees/escapees who brought their former home's attitudes with them. My parents moved there over a decade ago and I was dismayed by the nosy intrusive neighbors from DC who think they can tell you what to do with your property. My parents moved once due to DC neighbors...

My brother is a very active hunter who stopped hunting in WV due to the regulations. He stays at my parents and drives back into MD to hunt Greenridge and other spots.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I'll be emailing in a little. I don't have any night vision anymore, but I often carry so most likely I'll have a gun with me when I go places. I don't really hunt but I don't like laws telling my I can't do something unless there is a very good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom