HB 521 HQL qualifies for Concealed Carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Am I missing something? Are some here swooning over this piece of legislation... that STILL CONTAINS GOOD AND SUBSTANTIAL?:shrug:

Go back and re-read the bill and the word OR at the end of section (1).

Section (2) still contains G&S, which does not apply to Section (1) that is being added.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Ooops... OK... Thanks. I did miss that. It's bedtime for me so I'm a lil' drowsy...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Ooops... OK... Thanks. I did miss that. It's bedtime for me so I'm a lil' drowsy...

I figured, but wanted to make sure. No problem, we all miss something sometime. Then someone comes along and helps us along.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Am I missing something? Are some here swooning over this piece of legislation... that STILL CONTAINS GOOD AND SUBSTANTIAL?:shrug:

It does still include G&S, UNLESS you have an HQL which doesn't require G&S. That's why it isn't going anywhere as an end around G&S, and is likely intended to smoke out and label the anti's for what they are - hypocrites.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    It does still include G&S, UNLESS you have an HQL which doesn't require G&S. That's why it isn't going anywhere as an end around G&S, and is likely intended to smoke out and label the anti's for what they are - hypocrites.

Maybe we can get a firm definition of G&S. Be interesting to get legislators admitting its about money and not defending your life. Especially with the stringent requirements in place for an HQL.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    It seems that I remember reading somewhere that one of our training people said the MD HQL class would also be accepted for a non-resident Florida concealed carry permit?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Suspicious of what if I may ask?

After all of the stuff that has been crammed down our throats, that violate the 2A, I'm suspicious of anything that comes out of Annapolis. This still requires us to get an HQL, in order to apply for/get a CCW. If I am reading it correctly, you have to get your HQL or provide G&S in order to get CCW. IMO that is a way to force compliance to get an HQL to exercise a constitutional right.

It is possible that this can pave the way to eliminate G&S by proving that CCW holders are more lawful than criminals, but I highly doubt that the people in Annapolis will listen to reason and logic like that.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    After all of the stuff that has been crammed down our throats, that violate the 2A, I'm suspicious of anything that comes out of Annapolis. This still requires us to get an HQL, in order to apply for/get a CCW. If I am reading it correctly, you have to get your HQL or provide G&S in order to get CCW. IMO that is a way to force compliance to get an HQL to exercise a constitutional right.

It is possible that this can pave the way to eliminate G&S by proving that CCW holders are more lawful than criminals, but I highly doubt that the people in Annapolis will listen to reason and logic like that.

I see your points and all are valid, thank you for the candid answer DA.

I don't think it is meant as a way to "force compliance to get an HQL" but rather a way to have a pseudo shall issue state.

BTW, there is also a bill to eliminate G&S. It would be nice if someone also floated a bill to define G&S if removal of G&S fails. (more bites at the apple sort of thing).

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    If this SOMEHOW passed, I can't believe people here have an issue with it. I have a Utah CC permit and had to get fingerprinted and pay to get it. Same for the HQL. I for one think that--with the understanding that we are talking about MARYLAND--being able to use the HQL to carry would be awesome.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Even with the linking of shall issue to the HQL, acceptance of the HQL scheme requires that burden of proof and due process is required of the state for denial or revocation of the HQL from an individual; it can't simply be an administrative function outside of due process. Yeah, the prospect of shall issue is exciting. I can also see it simply being for the opposition to show their hypocrisy for elections and legal actions.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    G&S can be determined administratively, if someone would just make the call.

Of course, getting rid of it completely is better.

Correct. It needs to be defined in order for their to be an actual bar to reach.

I'll take..... "We know it when we see it" for one thousand Alex.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I see your points and all are valid, thank you for the candid answer DA.

I don't think it is meant as a way to "force compliance to get an HQL" but rather a way to have a pseudo shall issue state.

BTW, there is also a bill to eliminate G&S. It would be nice if someone also floated a bill to define G&S if removal of G&S fails. (more bites at the apple sort of thing).
    What is this year's deadline for bill introduction with a guaranteed hearing date?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I was listening on line, couldn't make it down. What a sick way of doing business, the MSP higher ups should be ashamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom