• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    It is a HK clone and would be banned they make no distinction on the ammo it shoots just the look and action of the gun.

bnich82

African American w/a Gun!
    Dec 8, 2011
    It is a HK clone and would be banned they make no distinction on the ammo it shoots just the look and action of the gun.

Actually I think you may be mistaken here. They listed specific models of HKs that were to be banned vs going the blanket route like the did with the AKs. The PTR32 isn't a copy of the HK91 A3, which was the only HK91 listed in SB281.

Also, there is this gem from erwos FAQ:

Q: What's a copy of an assault long gun?
    A: It's entirely up to MSP interpretation, perhaps with a bit of paranoia from your FFL sprinkled in. The last MSP bulletin on the subject seemed to say that complete parts interchangeability was a requirement to be a copy. There was also a very old bulletin (the infamous bulletin 96-1) that made some other claims on the topic... but it's not relied on very much these days.

The PTR32 uses a modified receiver to accept AK mags, uses a different bolt and locking piece that are specific to the 7.62 cartridge. So since I can't use these items on my HK91A3/PTR91A3, I don't see how it can be a copy. Same could be said for the Galil SAR/Micro. Only the Galil AR and ARM are banned, but the SAR/Micro are good to go even though they are Galils, but not all their parts interchange with the AR/ARM. As with all things though, until someone tries to buy one and we see what the latest MSPs response is, we shall never truly know.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27

I think you're wrong on this one. Unlike the Kalishnakov's which are defined by the action, the Hk's are called out in the bill individually by name; the Hk 91 isn't listed but the Springfield SAR-8 is. The PTR-32 isn't a clone of any of the listed Hk models.

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    Unfortunately the PTR 32 rifles have been out of production for some time We are a PTR Distributor and there is no ETA on when more will be back.

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    SB 281 does state A copy cat weapon would be A reproduction or imitation that is cosmetically similar to a specifically enumerated assault weapon as defined on the Public Safety Title 5.So not sure if they would simply go on the looks of the gun and still call it a banned items or not .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    SB 281 does state A copy cat weapon would be A reproduction or imitation that is cosmetically similar to a specifically enumerated assault weapon as defined on the Public Safety Title 5.So not sure if they would simply go on the looks of the gun and still call it a banned items or not .
    The AG opinion on copies explicitly states that looks aren't enough. As others have mentioned, this is a different situation than ARs or AKs, due to the wording of the assault long guns list. By all rights, the PTR-32 shouldn't be banned, but the MSP has apparently decided that they can interpret whatever they want onto the ban list these days... it's honestly really scary to see them make it up by the seat of their pants, and have the AG completely refuse to answer queries.

Also, PTR told me that they'd be putting the PTR-32 back into production mid-late-2014.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Hopefully we can get this sorted out by the time they come back in production..............................after relocating their factory.

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Since it isn't explicitly called out in SB281 and it isn't a copycat (per the AG opinion), I would call it a legal firearm - and hence cash and carry. However, finding one might be tough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom