• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Five years ago I started a serious search for an early "small ring" Type 14 Nambu pistol. Finally found exactly what I wanted at a small Illinois auction recently. Scored a complete rig with excellent holster and shoulder strap, rare original lanyard, spare magazine, firing pin and cleaning rod.
    -This Type 14 was built in April 1929 by the Nagoya Army Arsenal at the Chigusa factory. It came with a early, non-matching Type I magazine. The spare mag is a much later built blued Kokubunji built Type VIII. The rest of the pistol is completely matching and in VG condition with just a tiny bit of corrosion behind the grips and at the rear of the frame. There's a bit of finish wear and a few dings on the grips. Luckily the safety was never dragged over the grips as is seen all too often.
    -The marked holster was built between 1939-42 at Nagoya Arsenal and has an early shoulder strap with brass hardware and sporting an interesting field repair. Looks like the strap broke and a 6" section of another strap was spliced in with a tidy bit of sewing. The rare 7mm lanyard is brown in color and a bit dirty but in sound condition. Replacing this item would cost a pretty penny as they rarely come to market.
    -Overall I'm so happy that the search is finally over and that I found exactly what I wanted. While the auction price of $1017 (including the vig) seems high at first blush it's dirt cheap when you add up the cost of the complete rig (lanyard and holster would probably fetch around $600 if sold separately).

Attachments

• IMGP6584.JPG
      IMGP6584.JPG
      23.5 KB · Views: 478
    • IMGP6585.JPG
      IMGP6585.JPG
      25.2 KB · Views: 417
    • IMGP6586.JPG
      IMGP6586.JPG
      31.6 KB · Views: 411
    • IMGP6587.JPG
      IMGP6587.JPG
      20.9 KB · Views: 372
    • IMGP6588.JPG
      IMGP6588.JPG
      30 KB · Views: 415
    • IMGP6590.JPG
      IMGP6590.JPG
      33.7 KB · Views: 463
    • IMGP6593.JPG
      IMGP6593.JPG
      27.6 KB · Views: 481

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    -Five years ago I started a serious search for an early "small ring" Type 14 Nambu pistol. Finally found exactly what I wanted at a small Illinois auction recently. Scored a complete rig with excellent holster and shoulder strap, rare original lanyard, spare magazine, firing pin and cleaning rod.
    -This Type 14 was built in April 1929 by the Nagoya Army Arsenal at the Chigusa factory. It came with a early, non-matching Type I magazine. The spare mag is a much later built blued Kokubunji built Type VIII. The rest of the pistol is completely matching and in VG condition with just a tiny bit of corrosion behind the grips and at the rear of the frame. There's a bit of finish wear and a few dings on the grips. Luckily the safety was never dragged over the grips as is seen all too often.
    -The marked holster was built between 1939-42 at Nagoya Arsenal and has an early shoulder strap with brass hardware and sporting an interesting field repair. Looks like the strap broke and a 6" section of another strap was spliced in with a tidy bit of sewing. The rare 7mm lanyard is brown in color and a bit dirty but in sound condition. Replacing this item would cost a pretty penny as they rarely come to market.
    -Overall I'm so happy that the search is finally over and that I found exactly what I wanted. While the auction price of $1017 (including the vig) seems high at first blush it's dirt cheap when you add up the cost of the complete rig (lanyard and holster would probably fetch around $600 if sold separately).

Great looking pistol. Are you considering shooting it? Or safe queen/display?

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Why is it that whenever I get something cool you always show up and post something that I can never even dream of matching!!! When I get a C&R you better watch out Mawkie!! :lol2: Awesome looking Nambu rig btw, I'd love to have one half as nice

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice rig.... where is the shoulder strap? :o

Here are some additional photos of the shoulder strap. At first glance it's hideous. An early strap, identified by the brass hardware, that was field patched with a section of another strap. And the keeper is a piece of rubberized canvas, probably from an Arisaka sling. I've actually grown fond of this patchwork tribute to the ingenuity/desperation of the Japanese soldier. Will I replace it with a nicer example? No. This strap is part of the story of this rig and I think it would be a crime to exchange it.

Attachments

• IMGP6595.JPG
      IMGP6595.JPG
      32.6 KB · Views: 356
    • IMGP6598.JPG
      IMGP6598.JPG
      25.3 KB · Views: 362
    • IMGP6597.JPG
      IMGP6597.JPG
      23.6 KB · Views: 442
    • IMGP6594.JPG
      IMGP6594.JPG
      18.5 KB · Views: 342
    • IMGP6596.JPG
      IMGP6596.JPG
      25 KB · Views: 369

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Why is it that whenever I get something cool you always show up and post something that I can never even dream of matching!!! When I get a C&R you better watch out Mawkie!! :lol2: Awesome looking Nambu rig btw, I'd love to have one half as nice

Dan, I have no doubt you'll be able to upstage me! Just give it time, I've been doing this for quite a long while now.
    I lost a bid on a cracking '39 dated T14, all matching, that came out of a serious Japanese pistol collectors stash five yrs ago. I made up my mind that I was going to get one and thus the journey started. I'm just shocked that it took me this long to get one. Don't know how many ads, auctions, gunshow examples I gandered at but none of them "pulled my trigger". Serious obsession to be sure.
    The only other item that's been on my bucket list as long is a Type I Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless. That's been a never ending trip. Some day...

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Don't think I would have gotten this one locally in MD, had to troll the hinterlands what with all the excellent competition I have around here!

Last edited:

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Here are some additional photos of the shoulder strap. At first glance it's hideous. An early strap, identified by the brass hardware, that was field patched with a section of another strap. And the keeper is a piece of rubberized canvas, probably from an Arisaka sling. I've actually grown fond of this patchwork tribute to the ingenuity/desperation of the Japanese soldier. Will I replace it with a nicer example? No. This strap is part of the story of this rig and I think it would be a crime to exchange it.

I agree... you did well on that rig. :thumbsup:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    once again you cause me to burn with jealousy, thats a beautiful rig.

a nambu has long been one of my must buys as well, not something ive been actively chasing, but i look around now and then, hopefully one day ill find a nice one, and have the money to buy it at the same time.

they're one of the more interesting old pistols to me.

mawkies dad

Feb 4, 2013
    Hopwood, PA
    Good morning Mark. WOW! It looks like 5 years was well worth the wait. It's a great looking piece. I'm praying it doesn't take you as long to find your Colt. But, with as much patience and persistence as you have, I have no doubt you'll find it. And when you do, "go for it". With much pride and love; Dad.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Good morning Mark. WOW! It looks like 5 years was well worth the wait. It's a great looking piece. I'm praying it doesn't take you as long to find your Colt. But, with as much patience and persistence as you have, I have no doubt you'll find it. And when you do, "go for it". With much pride and love; Dad.

Thanks Pop! Maybe I can get you to put a 2nd set of eyes on the local SWPA auctions for one, considering how well I've trained you. ;) Just remember, no Mark Ferry Auctions (never again, what a FUBAR auction that was).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom