• Customize Delta

Votes: 3 17.6%
    • New TRP

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I've been dragging my feet a lot (shooting more ammo as opposed to buying guns) and haven't gotten around to a project I wanted to do for some time. I'd like to send my Delta Elite to the custom shop to get it tricked out..., but..., now Springfield is making the TRP 10mm. (Yes, I know it's not approved, but probably will be). So..., quick poll, Delta to custom shop or new TRP. Rail isn't a major selling point for me on this particular pistol. And I don't really want to sell the Delta because I'm stupidly emotionally attached to it..., Delta's were a dream gun as a kid and I just think Delta's are cool as all get out. Sorry, stupid, but true.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have three Deltas and they're awesome pistols. In this case, I think you'd be dollars ahead to buy the Springfield and either sell the Delta or simply keep it as-is. Customizing is very personal...what's good for you may not be for someone else if you ever decide to sell it.

There are plenty of good 10mm factory custom pistols on the market now...there's something for everyone so pistols owner customized...at least to me...aren't really worth the extra dollars involved.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I have three Deltas and they're awesome pistols. In this case, I think you'd be dollars ahead to buy the Springfield and either sell the Delta or simply keep it as-is. Customizing is very personal...what's good for you may not be for someone else if you ever decide to sell it.

There are plenty of good 10mm factory custom pistols on the market now...there's something for everyone so pistols owner customized...at least to me...aren't really worth the extra dollars involved.

Thanks for the reply.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I jumped the gun, man. You convinced me. I think I should get a Dan Wesson Valor in 10mm. It's literally exactly what I wanted the delta to be, except its a new gun for the exact same cost. Im gonna shut the thread down. Thanks Mexican Bob.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Damn , and I thought the Delta was really close to how I wanted a 1911 configured in stock form .

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I love the Deltas...great pistols. Others make damn fine versions as well. A local gun store has a Rock Island 10mm with a 6" barrel I'd like to have but I just can't see paying over $1k for a Rock Island anything. They have a good name but they're castings, not forgings. That may not make much difference in the real world but I just can't do it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I had two case failures with hot 10mm ammo due to the Deltas not having the greatest chamber support in the world.

Sold them and bought an RZ 10. No problems since.

Of course YMMV

Oldline6

Apr 1, 2018
    I've been dragging my feet a lot (shooting more ammo as opposed to buying guns) and haven't gotten around to a project I wanted to do for some time. I'd like to send my Delta Elite to the custom shop to get it tricked out..., but..., now Springfield is making the TRP 10mm. (Yes, I know it's not approved, but probably will be). So..., quick poll, Delta to custom shop or new TRP. Rail isn't a major selling point for me on this particular pistol. And I don't really want to sell the Delta because I'm stupidly emotionally attached to it..., Delta's were a dream gun as a kid and I just think Delta's are cool as all get out. Sorry, stupid, but true.

I was skulking about looking for info on AR pistol builds and I tripped over this thread, I had to register.

Jim, I faced the very same decision a couple years back. I had an old Delta I had since the late 80s that I loved, and I had always wanted to send it to Robar and get NP3 Plus applied to it in and out. It had been a great weapon all these years, I'd never sell the thing, I figured I might as well do something nice for it.

Well I got the weapon down there and one thing led to another; a reliability action job, the NP3 treatment, I figured why not throw some Trijcon Novacks on it, of course that took some machine work on the slide, and then the barrel came back with throat erosion out of spec, so there was a new Bar-Sto barrel job and bushing...You can see where this is going, right?

Pretty soon I had over $1,500 bucks in the old Colt...Now I do love this weapon, and Robar did a fantastic job, the action is slicker than snot and this thing is one accurate sidearm now...I don't regret doing it.

But looking at the money involved afterwards? Your idea was exactly what went through my head at the time, "I could have got a TRP."

I think most people that have the sense God gave seafood would elect to go that route. And they'd probably be making the wise decision.

That said, follow your heart, it's your weapon, there is no wrong answer.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Well I got the weapon down there and one thing led to another; a reliability action job, the NP3 treatment, I figured why not throw some Trijcon Novacks on it, of course that took some machine work on the slide, and then the barrel came back with throat erosion out of spec, so there was a new Bar-Sto barrel job and bushing...You can see where this is going, right?

Well, it's a good thing you went and got this done, seeing how the barrel needed replacing anyway. How many rounds have you put through this pistol?

Oldline6

Apr 1, 2018
    Well, it's a good thing you went and got this done, seeing how the barrel needed replacing anyway. How many rounds have you put through this pistol?

Since the '80s on the original barrel? I couldn't even guess. On the new build not many at all, maybe 100 rounds.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The Deltas don’t have the best chamber support for hot ammo. I had two major case failures shooting hot 10mm loads. Sold both of them and bought a DW RZ 10.

It’s s fine gun if you stay away from the hot stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom