• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Took a gift .22 to the range this week and its a much better shooter than I expected. It has a budget scope on it but it deserves something better, much better. If I had a little lower opinion of this rifle, I'd just stick my general budget suggestion of a BSA Sweet 22 on it, but I think this one deserves something a step better than "good enough"

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You might consider an adjustable objective scope from Nikon, Vortex, or Weaver.

Here are a couple of Vortex options ...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...InitialSearch=yes&sts=hist-ma&Top+Nav-Search=

If just for target shooting, the above reticle cross hairs might be too thick though, unlike the fine duplexes that Leupold and Weaver offer that help with accuracy.

For a little more money, I really like the Weaver Grand Slam series. This model comes with side focus, which like the AO scopes, let's you dial in the distance you're shooting to minimize parallax error ...

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re...scope-3-12x42mm-33-0-8-4-3-46-3-19-matte.html

Perhaps once a month, Natchez has a promotion that will give you 10% off the above price or free shipping. I've gotten several of the above Grand Slams for my rimfire rifles. Love the bright and sharp glass.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You might consider an adjustable objective scope from Nikon, Vortex, or Weaver.

Here are a couple of Vortex options ...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...InitialSearch=yes&sts=hist-ma&Top+Nav-Search=

If just for target shooting, the above reticle cross hairs might be too thick though, unlike the fine duplexes that Leupold and Weaver offer that help with accuracy.

For a little more money, I really like the Weaver Grand Slam series. This model comes with side focus, which like the AO scopes, let's you dial in the distance you're shooting to minimize parallax error ...

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re...scope-3-12x42mm-33-0-8-4-3-46-3-19-matte.html

Perhaps once a month, Natchez has a promotion that will give you 10% off the above price or free shipping. I've gotten several of the above Grand Slams for my rimfire rifles. Love the bright and sharp glass.

Decided to go with the Grand Slam that was on sale - checked around and the Natchez sale price was better by $70 than any place else - and the regular $500+ price really is what some sites are selling it for.

Many thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully you will get a chance to shoot this rifle sometime

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

I think you'll like it. The Weaver Grand Slam scopes are Japanese made, and I find their glass to be as clear as my Leupold VX-2 scopes. I've tested under low light conditions and was very pleased with how bright and sharp the images still were. The eyebox on the 3-12x Grand Slam is decent. It will weigh more than a comparable Leupold, but you also get the more quick to adjust side focus. People who use them in the field say they're also sturdier than most of the competition in this price range. Perhaps the most significant criticism that I've heard for this scope is that there is a smaller MOA adjustment range for elevation, which is an issue for longer distance shooting, but not generally for 22LR. Would love to see how it works out for you.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Had to grin reading Fidelity's typically good write up.

I have Leupold VX-2's on rimfire rifles also. I personally think the Grand Slam glass is superior. So far at least, my examples have tracked and repeated well too.

I think OP is going to like that scope.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How are you going to use it?

I have a Midway BSA Tactical 4-14x on my CZ trainer. AFAIK, it is the same scope as the Primary Arms and Mueller 4-14x scopes.

Like a good long range scope. Mildot reticle, exposed turrets, paralax adjustment.

About $250 when on sale at Midway (which is about half the year).

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I got to shoot the Marlin clone with the Grand Slam about a week and a half ago. The scope is what I was looking for and with it its easy to shoot groups a hair under a ½" at 50 yards with cheap Armscor ammo. About 1 in 8 - 10 rounds is a flyer that runs out a little over an inch and a quarter from the group, then the rest settle back into the group, so I don't think its barrel heat. 2 shooters had the same experience.

I do not expect this gun to shoot better with more expensive ammo, but better ammo might not have those occaisional flyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom