So Another One Followed Me Home Today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    No, not another beagle. :nono: (I know what y'all were thinking... :innocent0)...

This time it was a Remington 740. I've run across them before, but never shot one. This one has seen some use, but not abuse. It's in nice shape with a beautiful bore. I figured since I already load my own 30-06 ammo and we Hooligans tend to shoot some toys you don't see every day, this one would fit right in. Besides, it needed a new home and for the price I just couldn't say no.

I'm pretty sure there will be a couple of Hooligans at the range in the morning. Stay tuned for a range report...

:)

Attachments

• DSC09760 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09760 SNIP.jpg
      50.1 KB · Views: 550
    • DSC09761 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09761 SNIP.jpg
      58.5 KB · Views: 522
    • DSC09762 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09762 SNIP.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 527
    • DSC09764 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09764 SNIP.jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 538
    • DSC09765 SNIP NO SN.jpg
      DSC09765 SNIP NO SN.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 540

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    If you don’t mind me asking what is a good price to look out for. My father and father in law both love 30.06.

Prices depend on many factors: The firearm, its condition, motivation of the seller, willingness of the buyer, etc etc. - and that's that's just to name a few.

Suffice to say I paid < $200 for the Remington and both the seller and I were pleased.

:deal:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Good deal, congrats!

Curious to see your range report.

Good Luck with it!

Yeah, when I first looked at the rifle I kinda thought it was one I had to go back and buy. Those "first impressions" are sometimes spot on. "Right place, right time".

I'll bet the Remington's range report will be in a Hooligan thread tomorrow... :innocent0

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yeah, when I first looked at the rifle I kinda thought it was one I had to go back and buy. Those "first impressions" are sometimes spot on. "Right place, right time".

I'll bet the Remington's range report will be in a Hooligan thread tomorrow... :innocent0

LOL! You're either grabbing a box of previously loaded 150, 165 and/or 180 grain ammo, or all of the above if you have it. Or you're pulling on a press handle in between posts. :)

Either way, have fun with it! '55 to '59 vintage, so right around 60 years old. That's neat right there. Buddy has the next later iteration, the 742 and loves it. Hope you're as lucky with yours!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    LOL! You're either grabbing a box of previously loaded 150, 165 and/or 180 grain ammo, or all of the above if you have it. Or you're pulling on a press handle in between posts. :)

Either way, have fun with it! '55 to '59 vintage, so right around 60 years old. That's neat right there. Buddy has the next later iteration, the 742 and loves it. Hope you're as lucky with yours!

You're a funny guy... ;) :lol2:

Since I shoot my Garand pretty often and load most of its food ahead of time, all I needed to do was pack some ammo to take in the morning.

What I need to figure out is how those Garand 8-round clips fit into the Remington's 4-round mag. Dayum! It's always something!

:D

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Always interested in these looking forward to hearing how it performs. I’ve read that the action gets finnicky if it gets too dirty but I have no idea how true that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Range Report 04/22/2018

The Remington made its range debut at this morning's Hooligan shoot. The only ammo I had already loaded was for my M1 Garand and not hunting loads so that's where we started.

The rifle cycled the ammo well and ran flawlessly for a 60 year old well-used gun. Point of Impact was way high at 50 yards at first. Then I discovered why.
    I got to looking at the Busnell scope that came with the rifle and discovered it has preset elevation positions. So we had been shooting at the target with it set at 300 yards. :banghead:

Once I got the elevation closer to reality I did some windage tweaking. After a few rounds I was putting every shot on paper with an 8" target. Not a great 50 yard group with an unfamiliar rifle, but not a bad beginning.

Then we took shots at a 4" circle at 100 yards. Still have to dial in the windage and get on center, but the group stayed consistent.

The rounds were loaded with 150 gr flat based Garand style bullets with Garand-safe charges. My plan is to build some rounds with different style and weight bullets and charges closer to hunting ammo. I'm thinking that working up rounds this particular rifle likes is the best plan moving forward.

All in all, for the price I paid for the rifle I am very pleased with the way it shoots.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC09766 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09766 SNIP.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 152
    • DSC09769 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09769 SNIP.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 144
    • DSC09772 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09772 SNIP.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 157
    • DSC09821 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09821 SNIP.jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 170
    • DSC09822 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09822 SNIP.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 147
    • DSC09785 Remington 740 Target 50 Yards.jpg
      DSC09785 Remington 740 Target 50 Yards.jpg
      52.1 KB · Views: 154
    • DSC09810 Remington 740 Target 100 Yards.jpg
      DSC09810 Remington 740 Target 100 Yards.jpg
      50.2 KB · Views: 149

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    You're going to have some fun with working up loads for that rifle.

Is that one of the older Bushnell Banner scopes? I can't see too well on my phone. They had the drop in dials calibrated by cartridge family and bullet weight...a set of 4 different dials if I recall correctly.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    You're going to have some fun with working up loads for that rifle.

Is that one of the older Bushnell Banner scopes? I can't see too well on my phone. They had the drop in dials calibrated by cartridge family and bullet weight...a set of 4 different dials if I recall correctly.

Yep, that's what it is. I had never seen one before. If it's one of several different dials that were available I have no clue what this one was calibrated for. It definitely controls elevation.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Yep, that's what it is. I had never seen one before. If it's one of several different dials that were available I have no clue what this one was calibrated for. It definitely controls elevation.

Chances are, the dial that's in that scope presently is the correct dial for '06. I have a 3x9 version of that scope that I bought in 1982. I always liked that scope and I still have it. At that time, the Banner was the lower end Bausch and Lomb offering, but it was also Japanese glass and was IMO pretty darned decent.

Don't do what this dummy once did and turn that elevation dial clockwise with a coin in the slotted cap. You will wring it off, and that will present a threaded plastic screw removal project for you. Don't ask. But I WAS able to get a replacement cap from Bushnell, some 30 years later. They MAY still have the dials as well, if you think it's something you might fool with. One of those dials was available as a blank, so you could customize it specifically to your favorite load. I can't say how well those dials actually worked, or didn't work. Never really fooled with them much, or had much reason to.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    I see a goat :party29: I like goats.

In the back of my mind lurks a liking for the pump version in .243. It would have gone well with my 20 ga pump.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Some Contrast on Remington 740's

When I spotted the Remington 740 yesterday morning I knew exactly what it was. Memory banks run deep.

Several years ago my SIL brought one to me that belonged to his father. It was a rusty mess. Someone had Bubba'd the butt stock and screwed on a gawd awful pad. It was missing the rear sight, but had a scope mount. Frankly, it was in a sad state. Pics below. :sad20:

I removed the rust as best I could. And I did some interweb research on the gun. Couldn't find a replacement butt stock, but there are after market stocks out there. At the time I gave him some scope rings I had on hand. I think he added a scope to his, but I haven't seen it since.

Fast forward to yesterday:

When I saw the 740 on the rack it was like deja vu. I was thinking. "Really? A complete 740? For this price? WTF?"...

All I can say is timing is everything. And I will enjoy the 740 for a while. My SIL will too because occasionally he comes out to shoot with the Hooligans.

But, some day, the 740 I found yesterday will belong to him as a gift from his Papa...

Attachments

• Dsc00548 SNIP.jpg
      Dsc00548 SNIP.jpg
      28.8 KB · Views: 132
    • Dsc00549 SNIP.jpg
      Dsc00549 SNIP.jpg
      34.6 KB · Views: 111
    • 740 Right Side Dsc00547 SNIP.jpg
      740 Right Side Dsc00547 SNIP.jpg
      23.1 KB · Views: 121

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    740/742 are known for the receiver rails going bad due to them being soft and the lugs on the bolts chewing them up and wearing them out (both my 740 and my 742 show it). Then they jam up and quit working, why you find them out there so cheap. Make sure you inspect the rails on it or at least Google the issue so you are aware, fun guns though.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    740/742 are known for the receiver rails going bad due to them being soft and the lugs on the bolts chewing them up and wearing them out (both my 740 and my 742 show it). Then they jam up and quit working, why you find them out there so cheap. Make sure you inspect the rails on it or at least Google the issue so you are aware, fun guns though.

Thanks for the input. There is much info in the interwebs about that issue I've been researching. Fortunately, this rifle doesn't have that kind of wear. And it will be an occasional shooter in its semi-retirement. It's found a good home in my collection. :thumbsup:

My research found a PDF of the original owner's manual on Remington's website. It's cool to have with the rifle: https://www.remington.com/sites/default/files/Model 740.pdf

The "gas jet" action on the 740 is very interesting. It's a lot different than the gas piston action rifles that were more prevalent in the 1960's and beyond. I'm still learning about its differences.

Based on my research and the arsenal stamps on the barrel I'm pretty confident this 740 was born in January, 1956. That makes it C&R and an oldie, but not as old as me... ;)

There's always something new to learn. And learning is a lot of fun!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom