• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Two different things, only tangentially related - Recognition of actual Maryland W&C Permit ,.and issue of PA Non-Resident LTCF .

The actual Md W&C Permit is not recognized ( ie allow concealed carry, on foot, with only a Md W&C Permit is no bueno ).

Penna requires the holding of a home state Permit , to be issued a Penna LTCF .

Restricted vs Unrestricted is not addressed in Pa state law . Reports are that certain Pa Sheriffs are making that up on their own . Non-Resident may make application to any Sheriff in the state. ( Or Phila Chief of Police , but not recomended unless you have personal connections.)

I don't personally have a Pa LTCF , but reports from MDS'ers continue to give thumbs up to IIRC Adams and Lancaster counties , in proximity to Md border.

Added after simultaneous postings -

Yup , back to OC . Again . I'm losing track of the OC/ CC flip flops . And I didn't lose anything in Philadelphia.

LANCASTER IS NO GO FOR ALL NON RESIDENTS.

Sheriff Chris Leppler is a POS "republican" that clearly hates concealed carry. It started with denying Maryland residents with restricted permits. Now he won't issue at all to any non resident

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It seems that the issuance of NR permits to permit holding residents of other states is discretionary by sheriff.

The issuance of NR permit to non permit holding residents of other states is NOT.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    It seems that the issuance of NR permits to permit holding residents of other states is discretionary by sheriff.

The issuance of NR permit to non permit holding residents of other states is NOT.

Appears it is discretionary by default as the law seems silent on the topic. I couldn't find "shall" in the statute. Hell I couldn't even find the non resident part of it.

Also, never go to York. People need to stop giving the permit renewal commandos their money

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think the prohibition of non residents is in the reciprocity agreements, which by statute the AG is empowered to enter into.

Gary Slider

Feb 15, 2009
    Under PA Code the Sheriff does not have any discretion to either issue or not issue a permit to carry in PA If the applicant meets the requirements. He must issue. If he doesn't issue a permit the Sheriff must put in writing why the permit was denied. PA is a Shall Issue state. Sheriff's who won't issue to non-residents is because they don't want to. There is no sheriff in PA who doesn't know what the law is and who they must issue or not issue to or give an application to and deny that application and put it in writing. They do it because there are no consequences for them if they don't issue to non-residents. They put themselves ABOVE the law. This is what happens when any elected official can't be held responsible for their actions.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    As a MD resident I've been traveling to PA to fish for 30 years. It's generally 6 times a year for 3 nights each. I have NR Fla, Utah, and most recently NH licenses. Appears my travel to PA just ended. This is so unfortunate.....

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I didn't know when this new ruling went into effect, but I traveled into Pa to visit my son and his family today. First time I've been without a handgun under my belt in a long time.

Sad, it really is sad...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    For all intents and purposes the effective date was April 16th, the day the AG published the pamphlet.

PA will drop ALL VA recognition on May 16, 2018

VA continues to recognize all other state permits.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Under PA Code the Sheriff does not have any discretion to either issue or not issue a permit to carry in PA If the applicant meets the requirements. He must issue. If he doesn't issue a permit the Sheriff must put in writing why the permit was denied. PA is a Shall Issue state. Sheriff's who won't issue to non-residents is because they don't want to. There is no sheriff in PA who doesn't know what the law is and who they must issue or not issue to or give an application to and deny that application and put it in writing. They do it because there are no consequences for them if they don't issue to non-residents. They put themselves ABOVE the law. This is what happens when any elected official can't be held responsible for their actions.

Oligarchy 101 ?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    They tried to make this argument when now convicted felon and former AG Kane stopped recognizing all NR permits except TX and NH.

It went no where.

The out the AG will use is the portion of the statute that allows the AG to examine other state’s laws to see if they are substantially similar to PA.

VA does not conduct NICS checks for their resident permits. They use the VSP database. Non resident VA permits do get a NICS check. This is why WI recognizes VA NR permits but not resident permits.

The PA AG will use this as the reason reciprocity was dropped. We all know the real reason but it won’t matter.

IMO this will go nowhere

Last edited:

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Yes but you may CCW in your vehicle on ANY permit, not just a PA or reciprocal state permit.

And OC legal except in Philly

Have read this thread attempting to educate myself on PA carry laws. I can't find anything on HandgunLaw or PA guvment sites that states you can car carry on any states permit/license. Do you have a link for this?

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    See: https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-information/Pages/Carrying-Firearms-in-Pennsylvania.aspx

The relevant parts:

A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Listed below are exceptions as outlined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106. (2) (b) Exceptions:

11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

I am not a lawyer.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    H/T Ironeye.

Emphasis on Item 11. Permit issued by any other state.

11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    It might be wise to carry a copy of that statute if you're car carrying in Pennsylvania. Low cost insurance to keep your trip from being delayed.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Wow...my eyes and brain must be failing me. So this would allow anyone who is permitted by any other state to legally carry concealed to have their firearm in the vehicle as they travelled through PA regardless of whether there was reciprocity with the state they are licensed with.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Reading the statute it serns to allow CCW in the vehicle, just not outside the vehicle.

Remember Philly requires a permit for OC and CCW

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom