• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I'm honestly considering giving up riding my motorcycle on the streets because of how bad distracted driving has gotten. It seems like no one can be bothered to keep their eyes on the road.

Adds to the excitement of motorcycling. One sure does have to scrutinize EVERY driver that you are passing, in front of you or even behind you; to determine what they are ACTUALLY doing.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm honestly considering giving up riding my motorcycle on the streets because of how bad distracted driving has gotten. It seems like no one can be bothered to keep their eyes on the road.

I definitely ride different now than I used to, people still suck at driving, but had enough close calls commuting 1hr+ for years that I want to keep it enjoyable and relatively safe. I plan on sticking to smaller, nimble bikes too, my previous cruisers are comfortable, but sluggish, built for the towns and highways I avoid. I have a much easier time getting out of danger with something quick, got out of lots of trouble with my old CBR1000, and it's plenty of fun and safe when riding responsibly. My current Supermoto will outmanuver most anything, while being tall for good visibility, and with a suspension that can handle jumping a curb at road speed. I'll trailer or hitch-haul the bike someplace fun, then ride from there, or go out of my way to stick to lonely back roads. If I have to take the highway, i'll keep moving through traffic, then camp out in the nearly empty space between packs of cars, much easier to deal with someone in front of you turning into your path than someone next to you, or behind you. The main place I avoid is busy streets through town with intersection after intersection, hundreds of parking lots and driveways for people to pull out from, and stop lights for you to be a sitting duck when someone comes up behind you.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    I definitely ride different now than I used to, people still suck at driving, but had enough close calls commuting 1hr+ for years that I want to keep it enjoyable and relatively safe. I plan on sticking to smaller, nimble bikes too, my previous cruisers are comfortable, but sluggish, built for the towns and highways I avoid. I have a much easier time getting out of danger with something quick, got out of lots of trouble with my old CBR1000, and it's plenty of fun and safe when riding responsibly. My current Supermoto will outmanuver most anything, while being tall for good visibility, and with a suspension that can handle jumping a curb at road speed. I'll trailer or hitch-haul the bike someplace fun, then ride from there, or go out of my way to stick to lonely back roads. If I have to take the highway, i'll keep moving through traffic, then camp out in the nearly empty space between packs of cars, much easier to deal with someone in front of you turning into your path than someone next to you, or behind you. The main place I avoid is busy streets through town with intersection after intersection, hundreds of parking lots and driveways for people to pull out from, and stop lights for you to be a sitting duck when someone comes up behind you.

All good advice. I'll add that if you are on the highway and traffic doesn't have those car-less pockets, hang out in the left lane. You only have 3 directions to worry about (front/rear/right side), and usually less merging than in the other lanes. I've found that I can avoid a lot of stupidity by staying in the left lane.

-John

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    All good advice. I'll add that if you are on the highway and traffic doesn't have those car-less pockets, hang out in the left lane. You only have 3 directions to worry about (front/rear/right side), and usually less merging than in the other lanes. I've found that I can avoid a lot of stupidity by staying in the left lane.

-John

I definitely hang out in the left lane for this exact reason. I always have an "out" that way. Highway driving isn't even the scariest for me. I get more nervous around intersections and such.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    I definitely hang out in the left lane for this exact reason. I always have an "out" that way. Highway driving isn't even the scariest for me. I get more nervous around intersections and such.

You and me both! I'm way more inclined to take one of my bikes for a ride to work versus going to Bethesda or any other densely-populated area.

-John

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Last summer I rode a portion of the beltway around Atlanta, Georgia (unfortunately during rush hour). Never have been so white knuckled in my life on my motorcycle; those Atlanta beltway drivers are C.R.A.Z.Y.

Makes riding a bike on the DC Beltway akin to a walk in the park.

The only traffic experience that continues to bother me is when I'm approaching an intersection and there is someone opposite of me; waiting to make a left hand turn in front of me. Even with modulating headlights and a white helmet/high visibility mesh riding jacket... I'm always wondering "do they see me?"

A green light through an intersection should always be treated as a danger zone, while on a bike.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

-John

Good point, and usually do, also avoids the offramp/onramp fustercluck every mile or so. Only issue is when traffic does back up in the passing lane, people tend to run a lot closer to your back wheel, and with the lack of attention, and possibiilty of sudden stops, I usually work through it, or hang out infront of a slow car in the right lane with ample space behind me till I get an opportunity to pass. Up here the whole "pass left move right" thing is enforced, and far more common than back in MD, can usually get through traffic much easier. For some reason passing almost anyone in MD is seen as an insult to their very existence, especially on a 2 way back road. I have had so many people block, try to push me out of the lane, do the high beam thing, or at least flip me the bird as I'm building distance infront of them after a safe pass they weren't paying attention to at first. Have had a couple incidents that really make me appreciate CCWing in PA, and really hate that I can't in MD.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    After 30+ years of commuting on RT 95 I think I've seen it all when it comes to distracted driving.
    I often drove my SUV and sit high enough to have gotten a pretty good look at what people are doing.
    Texting, animated phone conversations, turning around to deal with kids, reading a book/paper/magazine, eye/face makeup, combing hair.
    I'm probably forgetting a few.
    EDIT: doing crossword puzzles.
    All that's pretty common, beginner stuff.

Getting into the major leagues of distracted driving takes a bit more effort.
    The winner in my book was a guy SB RT 95 with a laptop on his lap working on an Excel spreadsheet.

Since laws were passed against texting I found that people keep the phone in their lap to conceal it and now look downward which actually made things worse.
    When people held the phone up at least their eyes were partially on the road.

Last edited:

Msteers

May 26, 2017
    I couldnt count the amount of distracted drivers on rt 100 and 295 S every morning on my way to work. If there was a way to calculate the amount of stop
    and go's because of cell phone distractions i could probably save atleast 60 seconds of my morning and about 120 seconds of my evening drive.

Every year id save 48 minutes in the morning and 96 minutes in the evening.

Do that over 20 years and its 48 hours of lost time.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    Last Saturday being such a beautiful day we took the bike to breakfast and then a few hours of back road wandering. On route 85 in Frederick we passed a young woman face timing while driving. I've seen a lot, but this was a first for that particular offense!

I fell like that would be similar to talking to a passenger except you don't have to turn right to look at them, you can generally keep looking forward. (other than touching the phone to answer...)

One positive of distracted driving is if you have to get over into another lane, there will usually be someone not paying attention when traffic starts moving to give you an opening to merge. That said, you are now in front of a distracted driver.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    One thing that I have always wondered about is police using their radios or sometimes even their computers while driving. How is that allowed? Or do they receive special training to be able to do that?

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    One thing that I have always wondered about is police using their radios or sometimes even their computers while driving. How is that allowed? Or do they receive special training to be able to do that?

Above the law.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Above the law.

Right, just like when they speed with those lights and sirens on that you're not allowed to have while putting their own lives at risk to help someone else. What a bunch of dicks!!!!

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    driving everyday from rockville, i've taken to reading mds at the looonnngggg stop lights...

traffic at a standstill, i could almost write this post before light changes...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Reading/writing an electric message is also falls in the distracted driving violation, $70 and 1 point :)
    yes, well technically driving... but really sitting for 2-3 minutes.

next time, i'll get out of the car and read until light turns green...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    After 30+ years of commuting on RT 95 I think I've seen it all when it comes to distracted driving.
    I often drove my SUV and sit high enough to have gotten a pretty good look at what people are doing.
    Texting, animated phone conversations, turning around to deal with kids, reading a book/paper/magazine, eye/face makeup, combing hair.
    I'm probably forgetting a few.
    EDIT: doing crossword puzzles.
    All that's pretty common, beginner stuff.

Getting into the major leagues of distracted driving takes a bit more effort.
    The winner in my book was a guy SB RT 95 with a laptop on his lap working on an Excel spreadsheet.

Since laws were passed against texting I found that people keep the phone in their lap to conceal it and now look downward which actually made things worse.
    When people held the phone up at least their eyes were partially on the road.

I feel like that was the case when the law first went into effect...folks were scared for a little while. Now, it seems like people don't care anymore...around here, anyway :shrug: I see a lot more held up to their heads again :sad20:

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Saw a guy the other day cruising up 270 switching between playing on his laptop and using a phone. Was so distracted, he didn't even realize he left the blue flashers on the roof of his car on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    I feel like that was the case when the law first went into effect...folks were scared for a little while. Now, it seems like people don't care anymore...around here, anyway :shrug: I see a lot more held up to their heads again :sad20:

People don't care because the penalty is not severe enough. First offense needs to be $1000 and 3 points. Second offense $5000 and 6 points.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    Saw a guy the other day cruising up 270 switching between playing on his laptop and using a phone. Was so distracted, he didn't even realize he left the blue flashers on the roof of his car on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ha! Took me a second. Makes it even more ironic when they pull someone over for distracted driving. I get it, they sometimes drive around all day so they talk to people on the phone, etc. but they should be going hands free. Ever see the video of the guy who honks at a cop for sitting at a green light looking down at his laptop? That went over well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom