• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    Story of my life: buy something and the new/improved version comes out pretty much immediately. I like my 40 just fine - at the time I tried out all the polymers and the M&P just fit like a glove - so I'm leaning toward keeping it. But, I can't help but wonder if the grass might be "greener enough" to consider an upgrade. Anyone have experience with both versions that could chime in with advice?

As an aside, we just bought a Playstation 4 for the kid so the PS5 will be out any day now I'm sure. Plan your purchases accordingly!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I wouldn't. Get some Apex parts installed and leave it.

I carried a M&P Compact for years and loved it. I've since moved on to slightly larger firearms for CCW.

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    I wouldn't. Get some Apex parts installed and leave it.

I carried a M&P Compact for years and loved it. I've since moved on to slightly larger firearms for CCW.

Hey sorry, didn't see your reply earlier. It seems the Compact is a very popular carry gun. I'd look into it if I thought I had a chance in hell of getting the permit - seems like it takes multiple demonstrable failed murder attempts against you to even get an application considered here in wonderful Maryland.

Thanks for bringing up the Apex stuff - somebody else mentioned their triggers (Apex Tactical I think?) to me but I'd forgotten the company name. I might just do a little upgrade to my M&P - I really have no complaints other than the usual "stock trigger" thing. Did a little more research on the differences between mine and the 2.0 version and, though some of it is "nice to have" I don't really think there's a "must have" on the list.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    I agree, the differences between the two are not a big deal. My brother has the M&P40 which I liked so I bought the 2.0. Biggest difference for me was the sand-paper like grip on the 2.0 that rubs against the skin when carried under a shirt. Not a big deal as I just wear an undershirt, but that stock 2.0 grip is pretty abrasive. You could probably sand down your boat with it.

Did a little more research on the differences between mine and the 2.0 version and, though some of it is "nice to have" I don't really think there's a "must have" on the list.

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    I agree, the differences between the two are not a big deal. My brother has the M&P40 which I liked so I bought the 2.0. Biggest difference for me was the sand-paper like grip on the 2.0 that rubs against the skin when carried under a shirt. Not a big deal as I just wear an undershirt, but that stock 2.0 grip is pretty abrasive. You could probably sand down your boat with it.

I think the grips on the original are really comfortable - never slipped even a little. Wonder why they changed it? Sometimes it's tough for en engineer to leave well-enough alone.

Thankfully, I'm boatless these days and plan to stay that way! It's true what they say about the two happiest days of your life! ;)

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I have a M&P and it shoots fine. I like it and wonder what's so good about the version 2.0 that has people thinking the 2.0 is an upgrade. Personally, I think this 2.0 stuff is just marketing fluff, like when a company comes out with a New, Improved version of a solid product just so they can say it's New and Improved.

Last edited:

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    I have a M&P and it shoots fine. I like it and wonder what's so good about the version 2.0 that has people thinking ithen 2.0 is an upgrade. Personally, I think this 2.0 stuff is just marketing fluff, like when a company comes out with a New, Improved version of a solid product just so they can say it's New and Improved.

Here's a list of perceived differences in the 9mm by poster "mp9werks" over on the MP-Pistol site - lots of words, but not sure how much translates into tangible improvement:

Picked up a MP9 2.0 Full Size the other day.

Not yet a complete list of changes I observed compared to MP9 Version 1.0:

Frame:
    1. Rear “beaver tail” has been shortened by 0.35”, the OAL thus shortened to comply with U.S. Army Modular Handgun Standards (MHS).
    2. Forward locking block slide rails length doubled; 1.06” from 0.47”
    3. Forward longitudinal ribs molded in dust cover presumably to add rigidity.
    4. Trigger bar-sear mechanical engagement geometry.
    5. Magazine catch release profile is different.
    6. Asymmetric Slide Stop Lever profiles; left side 0.25” v. right side 0.21”.
    7. Locking block and sear housing secured with 1/8” solid pins, no longer roll pins.
    8. Trigger over-travel stop molded into trigger guard.
    9. Serial No. placement moved forward, presumably etched into forward extended steel chassis.
    10. Matrix QR (Quick Response) bar code adjacent to serial number; contains all the information about the specific gun build.
    11. Underside barrel support surfaces increased width, 0.145” from 0.125”
    12. Take-Down Lever now retained by its positioning between the outside of the forward locking block and inside of frame wall; no more small spring to lose and the Lever can only be removed upon the locking block being liberated from the frame.
    13. No Slide Lever Spring integral to the Slide Stop Lever.
    14. Slide Stop Lever spring-loaded detent integral to left side of frame.
    15. Ejector profile thicker in its forward projection.
    16. M&P logo used instead of Military-Police logo on lower outer surface of grip.
    17. 4 modular grip choices, “medium-large” added.
    18. Aggressive texturing of grip.
    19. Reduction in trigger pull weight:
    20. Take Down Tool has lanyard retention point; the original Spec-Ops model was the first to feature it.
    21. The profile of the rear trigger guard-frame has been thinned, much in the way most users have modified it to avoid wearing a hole in your middle finger with high round usage.

Slide:
    1. Red striker channel liner.
    2. Forward cocking serrations.
    3. “M2.0” designation on left side.
    4. Slide Stop notch profiles.
    5. Armornite instead of Melonite corrosion resistant finish.
    6. Sides of the slide contoured differently.
    7. Ejection port profile and dimensions are different (more open space) to improve ejection reliability.
    8. Slide is ~0.1" narrower at forward edge of breech. Safariland is slightly modifying its holster dimensions to ensure a Level 1 security retention is maintained.
    9. Chamber indicator aperture on slide side is smaller.
    10. Extractor claw profile is different.

Barrel:
    1. 1:10” twist barrel for the 9 mm.
    2. Unlocking of the barrel has been retimed so that it occurs later in the firing cycle. This, along with tighter production tolerances,
    and extended forward frame rails, enhances accuracy. The U.S. Army Modular Handgun Standards (MHS) specified a 4 inch Ransom Rest group at 50 yards.
    3. Armornite finish.
    4. Breech-barrel geometry profiles are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom