Here's something you don't see every day!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I once saw a Springfield Arsenal shipping crate with two sequentially numbered, still in cosmoline Springfield 1903s from the late 20s. It was soooo cool. But this lot of ten MAS 45 training rifles in an upcoming JJ auction takes that to a new level.
    I'm skeptical about the auction house claim that there are no import marks. I remember that CIA and other importers would peel back the wax paper from the barrel and stamp them with the old, discreet importer marks as law required. They were wise enough to leave the rest of the wrap intact for the buyer to remove or not at his discretion. Sadly the days of in-the-wrap MAS 36, MAS 45 and No4 MKII "Irish" Enfields is long gone. Recently saw a wrapped No4 sell for nearly $1k. Well above the $250 they cost back in the mid 90s.

Attachments

• mas45.jpg
      mas45.jpg
      73.7 KB · Views: 514

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    That crate is in very good condition for something that has knocked around a warehouse for nearly 100 years.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That crate is in very good condition for something that has knocked around a warehouse for nearly 100 years.

Is that fiberboard on the inside of what appears to be a softwood? I would agree would have expected the wood to be darker.

Interesting. Thinks I would consider buying if super rich.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    With MAS 45s selling in the $400 range I would expect this to hammer no less than $4k if just to sell off piece-meal. Doubt there's another of these on the planet so unique. Though unique obviously doesn't always equate to value.
    BTW, that's not a 100 yr old crate. Most MAS 45s I've seen were placed in storage in the 70s and then exported to the US in the late 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom