• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    There ya go, looks great! Every collector of military long arms needs a SMLE in his/her collection. An absolute must.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Today was a day of distractions, so I finally got around to taking this pic ;)

I just couldn't get it all in frame with the bayonet affixed...at least not without showing what a mess my house is :o I thought this rifle was supposed to be Short :D

We've gotten our front sight situation squared away and even shot respectably in an Axis vs. Allies match.:party29: Her stock is still pretty much how I left it when I quit the de-cosmolining, and I probably won't do much else anyway. She turns 100 sometime this year, and should be honest with her age :shrug:

She doesn't have a name though. Most of my rifles get one eventually. It just has to come to me and feel right...and for some reason hers hasn't. :sad20:

I have a great deal on .303 ammo and reloading dies in the classifeds.. :innocent0

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    There ya go, looks great! Every collector of military long arms needs a SMLE in his/her collection. An absolute must.

One is a very good start ;) Having a spare or two is even better.:D I'm working on that part...

I have a great deal on .303 ammo and reloading dies in the classifeds.. :innocent0
    Doh! :facepalm: I just got dies a couple of weeks ago, and I'm trying to stay with the 174 grn. That is a pretty good deal though. I actually almost looked at your No.4 that was for sale. One of my wife's co-workers was interested, but didn't know much about Enfields. Despite how this thread started, I've learned a whole lot in the past year and was going to go along with him to advise. He had an unexpected expense (car trouble or something) that sucked up all his gun money at the very last minute :sad20: I see it's no longer listed, so I assume she found a good home?

Nice Lee. As for a name, if it's a Lithgow, "Waltzing Matilda" comes to mind.

She's an Enfield Enfield...Brit through and through. "Margaret" and "Elizabeth" are British-y names that are already taken in my gun safe. I'm certainly open to suggestions. One day, it will just hit me...and be like it was her name all along, I just hadn't realized it.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'm jealous. That's a beautiful rifle. I'd love to get my hands on a cheap lithgow

There was what I believe to be a Lithgow at the York show (judging by the sight protector with the holes in the ears for drifting). It was either reparked and in a new stock or had been in a time capsule for the past...60?+ years because it looked brand new. I didn't look too closely (because I didn't want a new looking one), and when I saw the price tag, I got away too quickly to even remember exactly what they were asking...I think it was $900 :ohnoes: I guess if you wanted a new Enfield, that may have been not completely insane :shrug: It was definitely not for me.

They are out there...you just have to be patient (or wealthy). I believe the Australians used and produced them all the way through WWII, so many of them aren't terribly old. I think earlier in this thread someone had hinted about maybe wanting to let one go.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    There was what I believe to be a Lithgow at the York show (judging by the sight protector with the holes in the ears for drifting). It was either reparked and in a new stock or had been in a time capsule for the past...60?+ years because it looked brand new. I didn't look too closely (because I didn't want a new looking one), and when I saw the price tag, I got away too quickly to even remember exactly what they were asking...I think it was $900 :ohnoes: I guess if you wanted a new Enfield, that may have been not completely insane :shrug: It was definitely not for me.

They are out there...you just have to be patient (or wealthy). I believe the Australians used and produced them all the way through WWII, so many of them aren't terribly old. I think earlier in this thread someone had hinted about maybe wanting to let one go.

Actually the Aussies used the Lees through the Vietnam War and likely beyond. I've seen photos of Australian troops in the jungle during Vietnam.

SkipRAA

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 23, 2018
    In a section marksman / scout context sure, but we used a large mishmash of kit. Both European and American rifles.

Last edited:

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    One is a very good start ;) Having a spare or two is even better.:D I'm working on that part...

Doh! :facepalm: I just got dies a couple of weeks ago, and I'm trying to stay with the 174 grn. That is a pretty good deal though. I actually almost looked at your No.4 that was for sale. One of my wife's co-workers was interested, but didn't know much about Enfields. Despite how this thread started, I've learned a whole lot in the past year and was going to go along with him to advise. He had an unexpected expense (car trouble or something) that sucked up all his gun money at the very last minute :sad20: I see it's no longer listed, so I assume she found a good home?

She's an Enfield Enfield...Brit through and through. "Margaret" and "Elizabeth" are British-y names that are already taken in my gun safe. I'm certainly open to suggestions. One day, it will just hit me...and be like it was her name all along, I just hadn't realized it.

Yes, sold it on Sunday. You will love yours, was the most accurate mil surp I had. Just needed the funds to pursue a scope for my RPR. If you want to try 180 grain food, let me know.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    A No4 MKI, No4 MK2, No4 MK 1/2 or No4 MK 1/3 would be a good 2nd Enfield. Esp as a shooter. Have always sung the praises of the MK2 family as shooters, totally underrated. The No5 MKI, aka Jungle Enfield, isn't a bad choice either but as a shooter it's not as much fun. They've never been as affordable as a No4 and that's very true these days with them selling north of $500 on average (genuine JE bayonets sell for more than I paid for most of my No4s!).
    Still think a No2 .22 trainer is a total giggle factory but now they're selling for serious coin. Glad I grabbed mine when they were affordable.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I’m tossing around the idea of selling/trading my No.1 Mk III if anyone’s interested. It’s got a cracked but repairable fore-stock. It’s Canadian marked and the numbers match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom