• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Just curious to see any other pre-war, brass Finnish stock discs present on rifles out there. Here are a few of mine:

1898 Sestroryetsk M91: Coastal Artillery Regiment 3
    1904 Sestroryetsk M91: simple rack or barracks number
    1911 Sestroryetsk M91: Field Artillery Regiment 2, 2nd Battalion
    1915 New England Westinghouse M91: Reserve Officer School, Combat School
    1916 Sestroryetsk M91: Engineer Battalion, Company H
    1917 Remington M91: Helsinki Truck Company
    1928 Tikka M27: Pohja Regiment, Signal Detachment
    1928 Tikka M27: Keski-Suomen Regiment, Anti-Tank Gun Company
    1933 Tikka M27: Savo Jäger Regiment, 1st Battalion
    1935 Tikka M27: Jäger Battalion 3, Anti-Tank Gun Company

The discs themselves were usually removed after an order specifying such was sent out during either the Winter War or Continuation for security purposes. Needless to say, some of them escaped that fate for whatever reason

Attachments

• IMG_3318.jpg
      IMG_3318.jpg
      106.7 KB · Views: 697
    • IMG_3320.jpg
      IMG_3320.jpg
      77.9 KB · Views: 557
    • IMG_3330.jpg
      IMG_3330.jpg
      100.6 KB · Views: 564
    • IMG_3331.jpg
      IMG_3331.jpg
      108.1 KB · Views: 564
    • IMG_3329.jpg
      IMG_3329.jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 554
    • Stock discs.jpg
      Stock discs.jpg
      71.3 KB · Views: 601

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    That's very interesting, thank you for posting!

So, not only do you already have to get a Finn Mosin, it needs to be an example that didn't get beaten during the war too much? How rare is this to have?

Did Russian Imperial mosins have such disks inserted or is this a Finnish thing only?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Holy crap nice collection. My m27 has a wartime replacement stock and so has no disc. Really cool to see all these thanks for posting

No problem. Glad you enjoyed them!

That's very interesting, thank you for posting!

So, not only do you already have to get a Finn Mosin, it needs to be an example that didn't get beaten during the war too much? How rare is this to have?

Did Russian Imperial mosins have such disks inserted or is this a Finnish thing only?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Neither the Russian imperial army nor the Soviet ever messed around with stock identification discs. For a Finnish stock disc to be legit, the rifle needs to be a pre-Winter War example. If you see, say a 1941 Tikka M91 with a stock disc on the butt, it is not original because the stock was recycled and put on a new production rifle.

I would say that most of my Finnish rifles with stock discs are fairly beat up. They would have needed to avoid any major refurbishments in their lifetimes however, otherwise the stocks would have been switched out for a nicer one, or at the least the disc would likely be removed. The latest dated Finnish rifle I have seen with a stock disc that I would 100% back as legit is dated 1935. I would estimate that around 2-3% of Finnish M27's retain their original discs, and less than 1% of Finnish used M91's retain their discs. in my opinion, the disc adds about 25% to the total value of the rifle.

There is another variety of Finnish stock discs that are zinc and have nails instead of screws. These all belong to one unit apparently, and they are all post-WWII discs. They do not have the same level of desirability.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I’d be really happy to find one with a disk, gives it a lot more history I think. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the wild. Curious how you figured out what they all mean, is there a reference for them somewhere?

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    I’d be really happy to find one with a disk, gives it a lot more history I think. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the wild. Curious how you figured out what they all mean, is there a reference for them somewhere?

This is pretty much my de facto reference for the abbreviations. It has very few errors. You'll want to scroll down a bit until you get to Martti's posts.

https://forum.axishistory.com//viewtopic.php?t=101995

There is a gentleman in Finland that can actually research stock discs and Civil Guard numbers. From my experience he does a great job, but it isn't cheap (50 euros per rifle).

http://www.mosin.fi

As for the discs, I found one of my nine in the wild. All of the rest have been bought from other collectors or online.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Nice set of discs :thumbsup:

I only have four. 2 on 27s, 1 on an M24 (not original to rifle for obvious reasons), and the coolest one is on an M31.

I have several rifles that used to have a disc before being removed. But lots of Finns show evidence of that.

Congrats again on a very nice collection!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom