• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    I bought the J&S Tool, freeze plugs, and parts from CHC. As I was looking for more info to finalize my FP layout, I stumbled across: http://form1suppressor.boards.net . Of course they poo poo the Freeze Plug design as heavy and basically an outdated method. What are everyones experience? Did you use FP, Valve Spring Retainers, or pre-made baffles?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Im a step behind you in the process. Still waiting for my Form 1's to be approved.

I think it's relative in terms of how much you want to spend on your "$100 suppressor". The physics behind concept indicates that having a conical shaped baffle will direct more air flow away from the bore. Ideally you would be creating little donut shaped eddies inside of each baffle compartment of the suppressor tube. So if baffle chambers are designed to have smooth tapered interior surfaces it should effectively "spin" the air around inside of those chambers longer. The longer the air stays inside of the baffle chambers the more it cools and the lower the difference in pressure between the suppressor chambers and the outside air.

So while freeze plugs will work to trap air, but its not the most effective method. Since the face of the plug is perpendicular to the path of the air flow it creates a lot of sheer inside of the suppressor chambers. The air flow will be very chaotic and turbulent inside. More turbulence means less air trapped for less time.

So better designed baffle shape equals higher expense.

There is also a bit of balancing act between how many baffles should be created. More chambers creates more surface area to dissipate heat faster, but at the expense of interior volume. I think that the ideal chamber length would be roughly 70-80% of the diameter. Again think little donuts stacked on top of one another.

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    I plan on using my .30 cal suppressor for both supersonic and subsonic. I have Ti tubes and caps but I was wondering if I should use the standard NAPA freeze plugs or if I should spring for the JST stainless plugs?

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I bought the J&S Tool, freeze plugs, and parts from CHC. As I was looking for more info to finalize my FP layout, I stumbled across: http://form1suppressor.boards.net . Of course they poo poo the Freeze Plug design as heavy and basically an outdated method. What are everyones experience? Did you use FP, Valve Spring Retainers, or pre-made baffles?

Freeze plugs for me. I used a 6 ton press (bought from Harbor Freight) to shape a 45' cone as per Weber's post. The number of freeze plugs vs using more spacer pipe will influence overall weight.

My $.02- spend the extra money and get a titanium tube. It is much lighter and stronger to boot.
    In the grand scheme of things, the extra $30-$40 is peanuts.
    Another one I would like to pass on is to get an aluminum end cap (not threaded end) If you have a baffle strike or end cap strike, the cap will just blow off and not likely damage your tube.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have a question about markings. Im getting ready to engrave mine and I was planning on engraving the threaded flange. All of my required text will fit at the required height. I have seen photos of others doing this but looking for opinions here.

I guess the only down side is if the flange is damaged I would have to get a new stamp.

I have a question about markings. Im getting ready to engrave mine and I was planning on engraving the threaded flange. All of my required text will fit at the required height. I have seen photos of others doing this but looking for opinions here.

I guess the only down side is if the flange is damaged I would have to get a new stamp.

I'm under the impression the engraving needs to be on the receiver of the firearm, which I would think = main body/tube on a suppressor.
    IANAL

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'm under the impression the engraving needs to be on the receiver of the firearm, which I would think = main body/tube on a suppressor.

IANAL

Ok I have searched this topic and have found the requirements for marking, but nowhere does it say that it must be on the tube. It simply says in a conspicuous location.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Moving forward

053ebf8ac560098d270b3191db8e51de.jpg

7a9be201597e55a96f018bc31a8b6f6d.jpg

0da1a6c98c08377f4c531ceb1ee0475a.jpg

289a7ba6d7924e18db410614490d3cc7.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If a person just recently received stamps for form 1 30 cal and 9mm supressors.
    Who has tubes and end caps in stock now adays?

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    5/26 order 7/22 delivery of CHC order. So, who is best for engraving??? Still need spacer tube too......

re: engraving
    Want it soonest: an IP

If you can wait ~ 1 week and only have text to be engraved: $25 SD tactical arms is hard to beat. They will ask for a copy of your stamp which they will mail back with the tube.

re: spacer tube CHC sells tubes, might be others online.
    https://www.crosshaircustoms.com/product/spacer-tube/

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    If a person just recently received stamps for form 1 30 cal and 9mm supressors.
    Who has tubes and end caps in stock now adays?

Crosshair Customs (www.crosshaircustoms.com) Their parts are the same as the ones that SDtacticalArms used to sell. SDTA and CHC have flash hiders and muzzlebrakes.

For CHC compare prices: Solvent trap parts seem to be cheaper than buying Solvent Trap kits. :innocent0

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Radical firearms upper? I have same upper handgaurd in 12" version

Yes it's the 10" version. I picked it up from a forum member who listed here. I'm pretty happy with it. At first I thought the hand guard was too large but for a pistol/sub I think I like it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom