• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    All,

I am looking to purchase a new .22lr plinker. I am narrowed down to 2 choices. They are the Savage Mark2 with wooden stock, and the Ruger American Rimfire standard model with synthetic. Does anyone have hands on with either that can give me pros and cons? The rifle I buy will be used for offhand shooting at 40 yards or less.

Ruger:

I like the magazine. Doesn't stick out like the Savage does and will interchange with my 10-22. Don't mind the synthetic stock but it is not my first choice.

Savage:

Love the standard wooden stock. Hate the magazine because it sticks out. Lets be honest, Its a Savage and it will shoot great. Also like the raised comb on the stock in case I ever do mount a scope.

Thoughts? Keep in mind that $250 or slightly higher is all I want to spend and that I will not be modifying the rifles in any way so stock and aftermarket options do not appeal to me.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The savage with target sights and a heavy barrel is a great deal for the money. No wood stock though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    The new savage has the flush magazine. I have not read reviews on it though. I was considering one for that reason. The A22 or B.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I got a Savage with the plastic stock and standard barrel.

It shoots great, but I regret not buying the fv-sr. I'd go savages for bolt action, Ruger for semi.

Jano

Jul 11, 2016
    quick question concerning mags.. Can I order > than 10 rnd mags to a friends house in VA and pick them up there or can he then sell them to me or vice versa or criss cross or left right up and down??? Thanks

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I like the RAR. I have one and think it's a great value and terrific shooter. It is also available in a wood stock.

I have one too, great rifle. You won't go wrong with a Ruger.
    While I've never owned or shot a Savage, I've heard good things about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baltech

Feb 23, 2013
    My son has the mark ii very accurate at 50 yards. Don't care for the magazine either thats the only negative. I like it alot. Savage also has 25.00 rebate from time to time.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    RAR synthetic comes with a Monte Carlo stock module that changes out by unscrewing the sling stud. FWIW- Wife and I both have standard RARs and also have 10/22s, love them both.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    quick question concerning mags.. Can I order > than 10 rnd mags to a friends house in VA and pick them up there or can he then sell them to me or vice versa or criss cross or left right up and down??? Thanks

Some online dealers will allow and order with an MD credit card address, no matter where they are shipped.

But you can order them, or he can, and you can pick them up from him.

He MAY NOT SHIP THEM TO YOU.

I do this often. MY boss lives in WV. We work in VA. He orders for me, I pay him, he brings them in and I pick them up.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    All,

I am looking to purchase a new .22lr plinker. I am narrowed down to 2 choices. They are the Savage Mark2 with wooden stock, and the Ruger American Rimfire standard model with synthetic. Does anyone have hands on with either that can give me pros and cons? The rifle I buy will be used for offhand shooting at 40 yards or less.

Ruger:

I like the magazine. Doesn't stick out like the Savage does and will interchange with my 10-22. Don't mind the synthetic stock but it is not my first choice.

Savage:

Love the standard wooden stock. Hate the magazine because it sticks out. Lets be honest, Its a Savage and it will shoot great. Also like the raised comb on the stock in case I ever do mount a scope.

Thoughts? Keep in mind that $250 or slightly higher is all I want to spend and that I will not be modifying the rifles in any way so stock and aftermarket options do not appeal to me.

I had this same debate with myself recently, and I ended up with the Ruger, but the "predator" model - green stock, bigger bolt handle, no iron sights, but the same action and barrel as the "normal" one.

My thought process: it shares the best rimfire rifle magazines ever with the 10/22, which I also have. Bonus. The stock is better than the Savage I was looking at (which was the FV-SR which comes with a known flimsy stock) but you might not have that same comparison.

I will say this: The Ruger is properly bedded and (usually) properly free-floated from the factory. If it's not free floated (some people have found that one side of the very end of the stock contacts the barrel), you can fix the free-float thing with sand paper and five minutes. The Ruger has a *nice* adjustable trigger that's insanely easy to get down to right about 3# with no modification, or less than that if you're comfortable cutting coils off of a small spring.

I took mine out to the range to sight in, and it was punching .30" five shot groups regularly at 25 yards. I'm quite happy.

If I was shopping right now, I would look no further than this:
    https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-1272

That's the basic American Rimfire with *all four* of the Ruger modular stock pieces for $200. Can't beat that with a stick. This is where I ordered mine from, and they had a local FFL on file who charged me $20 for the transfer. It was great.

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    I have the MK II GL and hated how much the 10 round magazine that it comes with sticks out too. You can get a 5 rnd magazine for it, thats what I use. It won't sit completely flush with the stock but there isn't that much sticking out. I also have a 10/22 and if I weren't left handed I would have gone for the RAR. I don't hate the savage though, it shoots very well and I have used it pretty effectively in the squirrel woods.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I don't have a 10-22, but I have two MKII's and they are both shooters! The mag isn't an issue for me, 10rd mags work fine, stick out a little, but don't interfere with my handling of the rifle (my off hand is in front of the mag, on the front of the stock). One is an FV-SR with a suppressor, it's da bomb, but I did upgrade the stock to a Boyd's laminated stock. My other is a bull barreled MKII with a laminated factory stock and it shoots like a ball o fire. It's more accurate than any other 22 I have ever had.

I had to do a little trigger work on my pre-accutrigger 20" bull rifle, but the FVSR with accutrigger is great. I added an upgrade kit to it to get it down to less than a 2lb pull and it's as clean a crisp as one could ask for now.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    After playing with a Savage that I didn't know my brother had until a couple days ago, I ordered a Savage. Seemed like a damn nice rifle and the mag didn't bother me as much as I thought. I have a sweet spot for Savage rifles. Cheaper than the RAR too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom