• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I saw someone else in the forum who was lucky enough to get a great gift from his in-laws so I figured I would share my fortune this Christmas. The amazing thing is that my wife's grandfather and my grandfather were in the same division in WWII. The Timberwolves. Her grandfather brought back an artillery Luger and an Sauer 38H. I have had the Luger for quite some time but the family found the 38H recently in the back of an old piece of furniture. They didn't realize that it was still around. Very cool gun and after cleaning it up, it shoots like a dream. It's one of the very few that I have seen without the manual safety.

I would love to find a 1911 to make it a trifecta of WWII handguns.

31469871454_30128cb37c.jpg
    [/url]

Here is a pic of the Luger - It's a 1916 model.

31469994924_00bd92059a.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
    Very neat.
    That's a late late war version (brushed blue, no safety on slide), is there a proof on the left front trigger guard?

A word of caution, the late-war grips on these are VERY fragile.
    It might behoove you to find a set of repro grips for the range :)

Note: original late-war grips are very hard to find in undamaged condition and will fetch $200 or more...

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Very neat.
    That's a late late war version (brushed blue, no safety on slide), is there a proof on the left front trigger guard?

A word of caution, the late-war grips on these are VERY fragile.
    It might behoove you to find a set of repro grips for the range :)

Note: original late-war grips are very hard to find in undamaged condition and will fetch $200 or more...

Thanks for the info on the grips, I can see exactly what you mean. If the screw were over tightened it could easily crack the plastic. I'm not even sure where to pick up repro grips that would fit this. I don't plan on shooting it much, but I did take my wife's family out over new years to experience both guns.

I'm curious if you can provide any info on the proofs. First is from the left front trigger, second is from the right rear hand grip...

31470520314_d09d056a57.jpg

32312427975_71f82ac41c.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
    That's a nice pistol to have :)

The Eagle/F is a police proof, Eagle/N is the commercial proof all police guns have.
    That's why I asked, it looked like a police proof there...
    It's a pretty rare one.
    http://www.legacy-collectibles.com/...is-pistols/police-eagle-f-sauer-late-war.html

I was looking for a story about a guy that had a late-war 38h and the grips disintegrated during a range trip, just from the vibration of shooting it. Can't find it though but I read it on the internet so it must be true!

The fragile ones are marked with a small "IA" on the back, and are black plastic with no fillers, which makes it so brittle.

A guy in Czechoslavakia makes near perfect repros for these ("vit-zemanek" on eBay). None listed right now though.

History Arms has a pair listed on eBay for $40 which is pretty much the going rate I think. Their P38 grips are pretty good, not sure about these.

Or go with wood for a little more:
    http://grips4u.net/product/sauer-38h-grips-checkered-logo/

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    That's a nice pistol to have :)

The Eagle/F is a police proof, Eagle/N is the commercial proof all police guns have.
    That's why I asked, it looked like a police proof there...
    It's a pretty rare one.
    http://www.legacy-collectibles.com/...is-pistols/police-eagle-f-sauer-late-war.html

I was looking for a story about a guy that had a late-war 38h and the grips disintegrated during a range trip, just from the vibration of shooting it. Can't find it though but I read it on the internet so it must be true!

The fragile ones are marked with a small "IA" on the back, and are black plastic with no fillers, which makes it so brittle.

A guy in Czechoslavakia makes near perfect repros for these ("vit-zemanek" on eBay). None listed right now though.

History Arms has a pair listed on eBay for $40 which is pretty much the going rate I think. Their P38 grips are pretty good, not sure about these.

Or go with wood for a little more:
    http://grips4u.net/product/sauer-38h-grips-checkered-logo/

The grips on this one are not filled and very thin. I guess I'm lucky that they didn't break when we took it out a few weeks ago. I found some plastic repros for $30, but I may order those wood ones just because they look nice.

Jul 1, 2012
    By filler I meant the earlier grips were resin with cellulose, etc mixed in for strength and flexibility.
    The late-war pure plastic was pretty brittle stuff. And as you note the design is pretty thin/weak in the first place!
    Other than the grips these are supposed to be very robust guns, and very well-made too.

Florida_11B

Jun 10, 2016
    That's a great selection you have. I managed to pick up one probably 8 years ago with an eagle standing on an N. I absolutely love it too. I'll post pics later

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom