• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I'm looking for an impossible job.

I have 10 years of experience with IT support, consultation, purchasing, and implmentation.

I'm looking for a job that has a shit ton of travel. I want to travel.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Border patrol is hiring... See the lovely southwest...

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Consulting. Half the firms in america are based in nothern VA. Tell them you want to travel (and make damn sure you get per diem NOT reimbursement) and you will forget you have a home.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast

I have 10 years of experience with IT support, consultation, purchasing, and implmentation.

After spending 23 year's traveling around the world on Uncle Sam's Nickel Working, all I wanted is to work in proximity to my home. I been get tons of emails and calls from Dumb A$$ recruiters for jobs in California, Illinois, New York. I keep asking them why in the hell would anyone want to move to those F-ed Up states.

I have the similar background as OP with 18 plus years Network, Security, everything in IT other then programing. I guess I should look at becoming a recruiter. I was looking at doing that when I become semi-retired, looks more like that what I'm now. :)

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    As the Village People would say.....In the navy.....you can sail the seven seas....in the navy.....etc. etc.....

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Join the military

I did, Air Force, Boots on the ground or in the Air.

Mississippi, New York, Germany, England, Egypt, Kansas, Texas, Greenland, Okinawa, Korea, Oklahoma, Kuwait, Honduras, Panama, Georgia. And number of this places more then a dozen times.

3 Mobile Combat Comm Units, if we were not on the road we weren't doing our job. 1st, 3rd and 5th. Two Questions where and when!:cool:

Last edited:

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

You need to look for a job as a Sales Engineer for a small to medium size products company. If you go with a large company you will only have local (ie regional) travel. You may have a difficult time time finding a company that will let you travel a lot. WebEx is not your friend.

30 years ago I worked for a small company, less than 100 employees, and I was the East Coast Sales Engineer. Everything east of the Mississippi was my territory. I was traveling to 4 to 5 days a week for 2 to 3 years. I was 25 years old and it was a great time in my life to be in a job like that.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I have a great respect for those in the millitary, but I dont' think it's for me.

Sales jobs might be a bit difficult for me. While I'm not a complete social outcast or anything, I don't have the super extroverted silvertounge personality sales people do.

I've been thinking about it, I'm still young, I'm not very popular with the ladies, so why not make the most of it and spend a few years working for a company that sends me all over to fix shit.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    You don't need to be a silver tongued extrovert to be in sales. Just have a thick skin and be persistent. Some of my friends who have done very well in sales are the quiet type. Just good listeners. If you let customers talk they will tell you what the want/need then you try to accommodate them. Be honest and don't over promise and under deliver. The hardest part I found when I was in sales was having competent inside staff to fulfill the business you had brought in. You will be the whipping boy for incompetent support people, hence the thick skin.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I have a great respect for those in the millitary, but I dont' think it's for me.

Sales jobs might be a bit difficult for me. While I'm not a complete social outcast or anything, I don't have the super extroverted silvertounge personality sales people do.

I've been thinking about it, I'm still young, I'm not very popular with the ladies, so why not make the most of it and spend a few years working for a company that sends me all over to fix shit.

As far as job goes, you could apply as a Federal Air Marshal, they travel - a lot. But not much time on target if you are looking for cultural experience.

All kidding aside, apply to the State Department.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Kurdish Militia is looking for a Few Good Men and Women to join the fight against ISIS.

The pay sucks but those Kurd Babes are pretty hot looking. She looks like she would keep you warm in a bivouac site. Good trigger finger discipline.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom