• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    OP, I think now may not be the time to push. So soon after having a baby your wife is probably going through some pretty rough adjustments. Enjoy the shotgun for now, lay low, and 6 months down the line try again, you may find yourself in a much better situation.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    You know I do without a lot of things because of my wife. I don't drink to much, I don't go out partying like I used to and liked to, I don't hang out with some old friends that I like because she doesn't want me to. I guess that is why I absolutely do not let her stop me from having something that I really want weather she likes it or agrees with it. My wife is not a big gun fan either, but if I want a new gun I am getting it.....PERIOD and so should you !!! Pick something she really likes and take a, no giving in, stand against it and see how she likes it or if it stops her.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Welcome. I haven't read this thread, but can see you've already been given good advice.

I'll just say, ask her to take a training course with you. I recommend something like the NRA personal protection inside the home.

One day I got a phone call at work about a very suspicious vehicle and a couple shady characters in/around the vehicle and our property. I asked if she had called the police, or thought if she should. She said she had her gun ready and would call the police if needed. I watched the video of them later, was definitely criminals, looked like they were trying to swap out plates... my point is, familiarity breeds confidence, judgement improves with experience.

Good on you for Keeping your gun(s) secure.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    My wife hates guns but I had a few when we were dating. I quit asking permission long ago. She knows I spend money on gun stuff but doesn't really now how much or how many guns I have now. They stay in the safe and I don't take them out around her. A while back she said no more guns but she spends whatever she wants on things and I never question her. I'll be damned if I'm gonna bust my ass at work and never get anything I want. Good luck OP. Try to get a gun safe, think of it as a big toy box for your toys. I wouldn't worry about her seperating from you, I doubt that's what a new mother wants.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Wasn't trying to make a big deal with my post. Just trying to lighten things up. Guess my humor isn't in the right spot. My fiancé is a firearm lover, a hunter, and all around patriot. So if the op wants a professional woman, who is confident in the way she handles a firearm to speak with her wife about shooting and to show her the ins and outs in a non classroom environment, she'd gladly help.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    OP, I think now may not be the time to push. So soon after having a baby your wife is probably going through some pretty rough adjustments. Enjoy the shotgun for now, lay low, and 6 months down the line try again, you may find yourself in a much better situation.

What he said. She isn't herself. Post partum hormonal changes affect many women for substantial periods. My wife, who is really easygoing, still remembers less than diplomatic comments my mother made on child rearing 4-5 months after the birth of our first kid. She was just hypersensitive during this time period. When we had our second, I made sure my mom was on her best behavior during visits, and there were no issues.

This is a hobby, interest, and means to protect the family for you. Your wife will eventually clue in on this once less sleep deprived and equilibrated hormonally. If you're not an NRA member, join and get a subscription to American Rifleman. As issues accumulate and you leave them around, she'll understand that more firearms are inevitable and the topic may move to safe shopping (and FYI, if advertised to hold 16 long guns, often they might fit only 10).

Congrats on the baby.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Maybe a simple analogy will help your cause. A gun is a tool, people need the proper tool for the task at hand. If your shotgun was a kitchen utensile, it might be an egg beater. A simple limited tool good for a simple task. No one would use an egg beater to make a cake, you would use a mixer. A Glock model 17 or Colt 1911 better fits the mixer analogy as a good portable home defense utensile. You wouldn't throw away an egg beater because you got a mixer, because the beater is still a very useful tool. In my opinion you will also need a blender, a stand mixer - Kitchenaide if you can afford it, a food processor, and maybe a juicier.

Welcome to the forum!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Maybe a simple analogy will help your cause. A gun is a tool, people need the proper tool for the task at hand. If your shotgun was a kitchen utensile, it might be an egg beater. A simple limited tool good for a simple task. No one would use an egg beater to make a cake, you would use a mixer. A Glock model 17 or Colt 1911 better fits the mixer analogy as a good portable home defense utensile. You wouldn't throw away an egg beater because you got a mixer, because the beater is still a very useful tool. In my opinion you will also need a blender, a stand mixer - Kitchenaide if you can afford it, a food processor, and maybe a juicier.

Welcome to the forum!

You forgot the meat cleaver and the meat grinder. Maybe a sausage maker and meat slicer too. You must be a baker. lol

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    My wife told me that I was not "allowed" to have guns in the house so I bought 4. Guess what?...she got over it. She was as anti as it got at the time. We also have 3 kids.

After living with them she realized that I am not running aroundclike Rambo and they are locked up. Doesn't matter what you tell her. She won't realize it until she gets to see how it really is first hand.

Just buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom