• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cbreeze

Most Exalted Empress
    Mar 30, 2009
    PG County
    I've been taking new shooters to the range and a surprisingly large (to me anyway) number of them are cross-dominant. This is not so much of an issue for pistol but for rifle it means that if they tuck their right cheek into the stock they cannot see through the sights (with their left eye). I've been suggesting that they hold the rifle on their left shoulder and put their left cheek to the stock -- although this is slightly odd since they are right handed. Is there a better answer than this? Would love to hear from cross-dom rifle folks.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Im left eye dominant and shoot right handed . i just have to close my left eye . Cant do the both eye open with a scope but i can with a red dot . You can also get shooting glasses with one eye blocked out.Ive worked through and shoot fine .

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I shoulder my rifle to my right shoulder and carry my pistol on my left hip.

Works for me.

-Russ

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Im left eye dominant and shoot right handed . i just have to close my left eye . Cant do the both eye open with a scope but i can with a red dot . You can also get shooting glasses with one eye blocked out.Ive worked through and shoot fine .

I do the same thing.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I am the only one who thought this thread was about angry leather-wearing women that shoot rifles.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Cross eye dominant sucks. I'm Left eye dominant, write with my left hand, but shoot with my right hand. This probably isn't good, but this is what I do:

Handguns, I just turn my head a little to the right so I can favor the left eye to sight alignment, both eyes open.

Rifles, I just close my left eye.

Shotguns (clay sports) I put black tape in the center my left eye (glasses)

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Cross eye dominant sucks. I'm Left eye dominant, write with my left hand, but shoot with my right hand. This probably isn't good, but this is what I do:

Handguns, I just turn my head a little to the right so I can favor the left eye to sight alignment, both eyes open.

Rifles, I just close my left eye.

Shotguns (clay sports) I put black tape in the center my left eye (glasses)

That works too. I learned to shoot both left and right handed. Its possible to overcome it, but it does take practice.

Cbreeze

Most Exalted Empress
    Mar 30, 2009
    PG County
    Sounds like there are people shouldering the rifle on the same shoulder as their dominant eye (although not the shoulder for the dominant hand); more folks who are either closing the dominant eye or taping it. I can just bring a pair of taped shooting glasses for these folks. If they decide to get into rifle, they can figure out what works the best for them.

Many thanks.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I shoulder my rifle to my right shoulder and carry my pistol on my left hip.

Works for me.

-Russ

Im the exact same way. I thought there was something wrong with me. However i seem to be able to comfortably shoot left handed, and with either red dot i actually eliminate the optic, and see just the reticle. Its still not as easy but works. I do have a theory about us though, dropping the rifle and drawing the pistol seems to be pretty easy since you can drop lefty to grab it before you even let go of the rifle. I wa never tought, jjst a theory, any input?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I'm left-eye dominant, but I'm right handed. For pistols, I just tilt my head and keep both of my eyes open. For rifles, if I'm shooting right-handed, I close my left eye. I'm trying to develop my left-handed rifle shooting so that I can go lefty and keep both eyes open, but I need a more ambi-friendly platform to work with than my SKS.

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    I am cross dominant (left eye) and grew up shooting right handed. I few years ago I switch to left handed and am glad that I did. I do still shoot pistols right handed.

This did wonders for my trap shooting. My suggestion is to switch shoulders to the strong eye. It is awkward at first. As a side benefit I now feel comfortable shooting from either shoulder.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Learn to shoot whatever side has the dominate eye. It will be tremendously important if you ever pick up a shotgun. Snap shooting with one eye closed is never a good idea.

I had two scouts that I taught to shoot left handed after a week trying to qualify right handed after the instructor failed to check dominance. Both were able to qualify, with the required number of hits.

My main hunting buddy has this problem and he shoot long guns lefty and a pistol righty, very proficiently I might add.

Good luck

Jerry

MCTRV

Mar 2, 2011
    Glad to find this info. I am righthanded & left eye dominate. Will try a few options noted here & go with whatever gives me the best results . Have an AR15 on order & will be using iron sights.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Learn to shoot normally from both sides? That's what I've done.

this is what I've started doing - growing up I always closed one eye but these days i've been training myself to shoot rifles and shotguns left handed.

i get much faster followup shots and can track moving targets much better this way. just takes practice.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Patty shoots left-handed so I did the easy way out: bought her a left-handed rifle!

:thumbsup: - I built a lefty for my dad for just that reason.

I also bought/and built lefties for myself for that same reason.

I've trained myself to be able to shoot rifle/shotgun right hand/eye, but I'm leaps and bounds better from the left. Better trigger discipline with my left hand.

Still left-eye dominant w/handgun, but thankfully I shoot about the same with either hand on handguns. Being ambidextrous helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom