New York S2994 NIB : Annual Registration of All Firearms (with Fee)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    Lynn Swearingen (c) copyright 2010 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

It never ceases to amaze me how Legislators just don’t seem to get the concept of reality. Especially an individual who as a former Police Officer should know the Constitutional Rights of every American. That is their job.

Link

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Application fee for a handgun license: $340.00.
    Fingerprint fee: $94.2
    Ass ****ing by the state without lube: Priceless

Seriously though, does anyone expect that SCOTUS would deem this to be unconstitutional

I personally don't in light of their opinion in Heller.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Seriously though, does anyone expect that SCOTUS would deem this to be unconstitutional

So what? Even if the SCOTUS strikes this down, NY will still make a killing in registration fees. They might have to give some of the money back, but that's still a nice little interest-free loan in a bad economy. There's nothing to lose. When the NRA challenges the law, a district attorney even gets to make a name for him or herself by "fighting to keep guns off the street."

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Application fee for a handgun license: $340.00.
    Fingerprint fee: $94.2
    Ass ****ing by the state without lube: Priceless

That's the city... The state would be "cheaper" to register your rights with... How about an internet registration fee as well.... every internet accessible device would be subject to a $15 initial few and a $10 per year renewal.

So let's imagine I have 30 firearms, I would have to cough up $450, plus $300 per year for the privilege to execute my constitutionally guaranteed rights? Ummm... I suspect I wouldn't be able to stomach that... I would move or sue, obviously the penalties would be too stiff to ignore.

All I can say is obviously someone in NY hates freedom.

Mark

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    So what? Even if the SCOTUS strikes this down, NY will still make a killing in registration fees. They might have to give some of the money back, but that's still a nice little interest-free loan in a bad economy. There's nothing to lose. When the NRA challenges the law, a district attorney even gets to make a name for him or herself by "fighting to keep guns off the street."

But defending against lawsuits isnt free for the state, it costs them money to defend a case that gets escalated to District Courts/SCOTUS

Add on accounting and cost of cutting all those checks to citizens and in the end if forced to return the money it will be a huge net loss for the state.

Assuming it stands or is unchallenged the state will make bou cou money...and also drive a pile of people out of the state.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    While SCOTUS may not knock down all registration and/or fees, when you have fees that are more than many guns on the market, that won't fly.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    But defending against lawsuits isnt free for the state, it costs them money to defend a case that gets escalated to District Courts/SCOTUS

Add on accounting and cost of cutting all those checks to citizens and in the end if forced to return the money it will be a huge net loss for the state.

Assuming it stands or is unchallenged the state will make bou cou money...and also drive a pile of people out of the state.

One thing I've noticed, these states don't care how much money they spend fighting it.

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    NY is also suffering serious budget issues; worse than most states. Probably second only to California.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel

True, but you're assuming politicians are rational. They probably didn't even think about these costs let alone that those podunk redneck gun owners would challenge the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom