• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooting again

Feb 27, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    What's the current experience regarding quality and reliability with CZ shotguns? From what I gather they didn't have a great reputation a few years ago but seem so be better now.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    That's about it. They were terrible when CZ first starting importing them. These guns are not made by CZ, but by Huglu in Turkey. The autoloaders were so bad that CZ dropped them. The O/Us and SXS guns had issues with safeties and firing pins. I am told that these problems were addressed and the new guns are supposed to be pretty good. I was burned by buying a SXS .410 in about 2005. The firing pins broke in very short order. CZ replaced the gun, no questions asked. Same thing happened to the second gun. When I received the third gun I sold it and have stayed away from all Turkish built guns since then. The thumbs up on the newer guns comes from numerous owners on different sites, so I also see that as a bit suspect. If the guns are OK now, they would make an OK field gun because they are not shot that much. I would not consider one for a target gun.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I don't have any answers for you but I'm very curious about this too because Tom Knapp now shoots CZs which has me interested.

Might want to check the shotgun world forums.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    After Tom Knapp "left" Benelli, being picked up by CZ is not exactly a glowing endorsement of Knapp or any particular gun. The quality of any gun is tested by time and market forces.

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    I recently picked up a CZ Mallard in 12ga. I wanted double triggers anyway, but also felt that it would have fewer moving parts to screw up.

My initial thoughts:
    • The finish is what I expected; a little rough.
    • The Turkish Walnut stock is beautiful.
    • Trigger pull (with snap caps) is ok; nothing to write home about, but not terrible either. Maybe some would disagree.
    • If it doesn't hold up, it didn't cost me much to start with and I wasn't about to drop the serious money that more refined O/U's would have set me back.

The test will be in how it holds up. I don't have anything more for you right now, but I will be sure to post my opinions as I get use to the gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom