• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    May buy an sks soon. Understand the bolt is mis matched. How many rounds do you have to shoot off to feel safe as far as head space goes.
    Can you just look at a spent case and see if it is bulging or scraped up.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I would first try to cycle a dummy round. If it chambers and ejects without issues, I would then fire one live round and inspect the case and bolt face for signs of a problem. If all looks good, then fire a few more getting the gun warm. If it functions without a failure, I would be comfortable that the head spacing was within tolerances.

If you decide to use a live round for the first cycling test, remove the firing pin from the bolt before chambering.

Also check the hammer and sear engagement. Most are neutral and some are negative. If you aren't up for changing it to positive, at least know what your rifle has. Do not carry an SKS with a round in the chamber unless you are certain that it has positive engagement to avoid a AD. The safety only blocks the trigger and a bump to the rifle can cause the hammer to fall. A positive engagement makes this much less likely to occur, but does not absolutely prevent it.

Everyone should have an SKS. Tons of fun!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I would first try to cycle a dummy round. If it chambers and ejects without issues, I would then fire one live round and inspect the case and bolt face for signs of a problem. If all looks good, then fire a few more getting the gun warm. If it functions without a failure, I would be comfortable that the head spacing was within tolerances.

If you decide to use a live round for the first cycling test, remove the firing pin from the bolt before chambering.

Also check the hammer and sear engagement. Most are neutral and some are negative. If you aren't up for changing it to positive, at least know what your rifle has. Do not carry an SKS with a round in the chamber unless you are certain that it has positive engagement to avoid a AD. The safety only blocks the trigger and a bump to the rifle can cause the hammer to fall. A positive engagement makes this much less likely to occur, but does not absolutely prevent it.

Everyone should have an SKS. Tons of fun!

If you don’t know, I’d at least do a live cartridge test. Remove the firing pin first to check. Go/no-go gauges aren’t that expensive.

But at least test with the live cartridge (and NO firing pin) since you know it is mismatched.

On the trigger, good to check positive, neutral and negative engagement so you know. However, unless terrible, it shouldn’t take a bump to trip the sear. We are talking a large fall. My SKS had negative engagement before I reground the sear, quite a bit of it. Now I didn’t want to destroy the stock, but I dropped it about a foot on to concrete on the butt (I was refinishing it) a few times and from about 3ft on to wood both flat and on the butt and nada.

It is now very, very slightly positive engagement (also about 3/4th the pull weight, fairly smooth and slightly less travel).

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    A quick test for sufficient clearance is with a stripped and then re assembled unfired cartridge, make sure it drops from the chamber with the muzzle pointed straight upwards when the action is opened. Pull the bullet on the unfired case and then start a fired primer in the case head just prior to being flush. Find a spent pistol cartridge or even a piece of tube that fits over the case neck to the shoulder consistently, measure and then record the results as the primer continues to be seated taking the average measurement into account on the stripped bolt with light finger pressure just as it goes into battery.
    By that time the correct gauges should have arrived in the mail or your buddy shows up at your house with the right gauges for the job. Remember a fired cartridge doesnt spring back to it's original size, it will be slightly larger and form itself to the chamber while stretching at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom