Who thinks Iceland's Gun Laws are a good example for the USA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...Tq?ocid=ems.display.welcomeexperience&ffid=gz

Other than admitting that it is the shooter and not the gun that is the problem, this article is all over the map trying to explain why Iceland hasn't had a firearm murder in more than a decade. It comes down on the side of strict laws, psychological exams, mandatory training, and long waiting periods. But it never addresses the self defense aspect of firearm ownership, just hunting and competitive shooting.

Edit: Iceland is one of the least racially diverse countries in the world and has only a little more than 300,000 inhabitants spread over an area about the size of Kentucky. It is also 94% urban, but has no cities with a population greater than 120,000. Not mentioned in the statistics is the fact that it does not have a Democratic Party running the cities and Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have never been there.

Last edited:

sports89man7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2018
    that's because no one lives in Iceland.....and Iceland doesn't have the problems the united states has...

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Iceland has a profoundly lower knife murder rate as well. so whatever is going on there has nothing to do with gun laws or restrictions, but simply lower levels of criminality.

It also has much lower criminal defense rights too. you pretty much are certain to get caught and certain to get convicted there. Police can stop you on the street with no level of suspicion and search you. Warrant protections are lower as well. you get no jury trial for virtually any crime. Is MSN also suggesting we shred the fourth and fifth amendments to be like Iceland?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    What's their axe violence rate? If it's low, I'll be very disappointed.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Hmmm, unless it’s unrestricted ownership that shall not be infringed, then no not good enough.

A completely homogenous ethnic makeup, little to no poverty, and very few people even in the biggest cities are by far the biggest factors in lower crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...Tq?ocid=ems.display.welcomeexperience&ffid=gz

Other than admitting that it is the shooter and not the gun that is the problem, this article is all over the map trying to explain why Iceland hasn't had a firearm murder in more than a decade. It comes down on the side of strict laws, psychological exams, mandatory training, and long waiting periods. But it never addresses the self defense aspect of firearm ownership, just hunting and competitive shooting.

Edit: Iceland is one of the least racially diverse countries in the world and has only a little more than 300,000 inhabitants spread over an area about the size of Kentucky. It is also 94% urban, but has no cities with a population greater than 120,000. Not mentioned in the statistics is the fact that it does not have a Democratic Party running the cities and Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have never been there.

It is several things the lack of diversity and the religion of peace are probably the most important. Second is a fairly low levels of income inequality as shown by its gini cooefficent
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2172rank.html

Finally absolute poverty is very low as well do to its high levels of natural resources that allows for a welfare state.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I will be there in another month and come back with an assessment of the situation. Maybe I don't have to leave my guns at home :)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Homogenous society.

What the US had until they broke the melting pot.

UK's PM May came out and said that immigration without assimilation destabilises societies. Too late for them, of course.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    "Iceland is one of the least racially diverse countries in the world" and that my friends is why they have near to zero murders and crime. As John Lott stated many years ago in one of his studies, that if you factor out Black and Hispanic crime/murder/shooting, the USA has a lower crime rate then most of the rest of the world. Now I'm sure the numbers have changed over the years one way or another but I bet the percentages are real close. Chris

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Homogenous society.

What the US had until they broke the melting pot.

UK's PM May came out and said that immigration without assimilation destabilises societies. Too late for them, of course.

May is a traitor. She has allowed a Muslim army to lay waste to English soil. Thank God Trump won or Hillary would be doing the same to America

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    2b98qq.jpg

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    The U.S. has the problems it has because of social-economic, racial, economic and a society that has been build on the backs of slaves. This land is a good example of 400+ years of policies that have disenfranchised one group or another. Because of that, you have social unrest and Violence. The U.S. will always have violence that no other country in the world will ever have. The UK and the European Union are seeing first hand how this works. Unlike the US, people are "refugees" in the UK, who don't wish to assimilate to the European way of like. Here, U.S. you have every aspect of the country breaking the law, treating it like it is a piece of toilet paper. Ex: marijuana is illegal federally. However, instead of the government shutting down big business in Colorado, they allow illegal activity to continue. In Chicago, that same activity is not just prosecuted at the state level but people are doing Federal time for the same/similar activity. Where is the rule of law? Then you expect one group of people to just accept the unfair policing of the same CRIME! You continue to do this and you get backlash. This is just one example there are many more. I don't agree with the breaking of any laws, but when laws are not enforced equally, expect violence and alot of it. the weapon of choice, more often than not, will be a gun!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Violence that no other country will have ? Nahhh.

The anti's cherry pick statistics from certain west European countries. If you do a global comparison of countries of similar HDI, the USA is way near the bottom .

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Gotta say I LOVE Iceland. Went there a few years ago for New Year's Eve (and a couple of days before and after). What a hoot. Some of the friendliest people I've ever met, most were very well educated (compared to US citizens) and could speak several languages very fluently. Icelandic was a real tongue twister... sounded like someone with a lisp and a mouthful of marbles, and no words sounded like they might have had Latin origins.

Phone books were organized in (what I think is) typical Scandinavian format, First Name, Last Name, and it probably makes sense to them as long as you know the first name of someone's father or mother: Thor, Ericsson. Thor being Eric's son, and there might be as many as 50 Thors listed alphabetically by last name.

The subjects of firearms or crime never came up, but it sure seemed like a peaceful place to live.

Malthus

Aug 1, 2009
    MD
    "Iceland is one of the least racially diverse countries in the world" and that my friends is why they have near to zero murders and crime. As John Lott stated many years ago in one of his studies, that if you factor out Black and Hispanic crime/murder/shooting, the USA has a lower crime rate then most of the rest of the world. Now I'm sure the numbers have changed over the years one way or another but I bet the percentages are real close. Chris

BBC had an article concerning this several years ago. They quoted firearm homicide rates per 100,000 and the range in Europe went from a low of under .1 for Norway, to .8 for Switzerland. The US sits at 3.2, and Canada is (IIRC) .4.

Now the article went on to show (graphically) that according to FBI statistics 90% of all gun violence was African American, and 85% of that was black on black. (I checked this on the FBI website, and they were spot on https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/preliminary-report/tables/table-1)

Now this gets interesting when you take 90% of the 3.2/100,000 and get .29/100,000; or less than half of Switzerland's rate, and even less than Canada.

Not that this information can be used in a 2A argument, you'll just get called a racist.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Having been stationed in Iceland, there is a few reasons why they don't have a lot of crime. One it is an island, no place really to run. Two the communities are small so everyone there know everyone, so you can't really hide anything. Three their main industry is fishing, so much of the male population is at sea. The rest are raising sheep. The weather is gloomy most of the time, the wind is constantly blowing and half the year the sun is up and the other half it is dark. Iceland used to have a lot of suicides that was back in the 1980's, don't know what it is like today. They tend to depend on each other, and teach their young to respect the law and each other. Kinda of like we used to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom