• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I am about ready to order a new safe and have more or less decided on a Sturdy 3627-6 with fire liner.

Is there something else in that price bracket (~$3500) that I should be considering?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I'm a Sturdy Owner and IMHO there is no real comparison unless you're willing to spend more money for Ft Knox, Brown Safel or Graffunder

Sturdy's optionall liner is 10ga, that is at thick as some of the competitions' outer shell. Sturdy is definitely function over form. If you have questions about Sturdy then you need to give Terry a call. He's owner of the company.

But here's the buyer 's guide that I always recommend. It gives the best analysis.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I like everything I read and hear about Sturdy. You save b/c they build to order and no one is carrying inventory. Only downside I can see is you can't get something quickly, or if you need full-service including delivery into the house, you would have to coordinate that separately.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I'm a Sturdy Owner and IMHO there is no real comparison unless you're willing to spend more money for Ft Knox, Brown Safel or Graffunder

Sturdy's optionall liner is 10ga, that is at thick as some of the competitions' outer shell. Sturdy is definitely function over form. If you have questions about Sturdy then you need to give Terry a call. He's owner of the company.

But here's the buyer 's guide that I always recommend. It gives the best analysis.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
    Yeah, I keep coming back to the conclusion that Sturdy will provide the best safe for the dollar.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Are there any articles comparing Fort Knox and Superior safes? I've been going back and forth trying to decide which one to get for a while and I've not been able to find any articles that compare them in terms of quality. Thanks.

Cal68

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    If you have $3500 it would be worth looking for a used real safe (UL rated). lackasafe.com

Lackasafe doesn't really have much in stock on their website right now but if you want to buy now it would be worth it to give them a call. Also, I think there are a few people who deal with safes here that are IPs.

I have a Sturdy myself but plan on getting a real safe, hopefully, this year.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    If you have $3500 it would be worth looking for a used real safe (UL rated). lackasafe.com

Lackasafe doesn't really have much in stock on their website right now but if you want to buy now it would be worth it to give them a call. Also, I think there are a few people who deal with safes here that are IPs.

What Sturdy do you have and what are your thoughts?
    I think what I'll do for now is get a good quality RSC and then get an additional UL listed safe further down the road to add capacity.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Study the UL testing first. The testing standards are somewhat questionable.

Many safes are RSC because the manufacturers like Sturdy do not want to submit a copy of each model for the destructive testing due to cost and not because they didn't pass UL standards.

Sturdy uses real world recommendations on how successful is their fire protection. Real fire burns differently than heating a safe up in an electric kiln and waiting for paper to char.

Plus they sell a lot of their safes to government and police agencies. The Sturdy Safes are more akin to GSA 5W Weapon Containers than a RSC.

I bought my on recommendations from some .mil and Fed LEA folks.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Study the UL testing first. The testing standards are somewhat questionable.

Many safes are RSC because the manufacturers like Sturdy do not want to submit a copy of each model for the destructive testing due to cost and not because they didn't pass UL standards.

Sturdy uses real world recommendations on how successful is their fire protection. Real fire burns differently than heating a safe up in an electric kiln and waiting for paper to char.

Plus they sell a lot of their safes to government and police agencies. The Sturdy Safes are more akin to GSA 5W Weapon Containers than a RSC.

I bought my on recommendations from some .mil and Fed LEA folks.
    Yeah, I am pretty well sold on Sturdy, including their fire protection. For $3500, I doubt I'll get much better.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

So what do you consider a "real safe"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom