• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Looking for a Gun Safe. What do you guys recommend??? Not trying to break the bank, but I dont want junk either. I would prefer American Made!

Lets here you Pros and Cons.

I searched safes and got could not find a thread.

Thanks

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I have a 24 gun Winchester Safe from Tractor Supply. It is well made. It has 12 - 1.25" steel pins holding the door shut and lots of pockets on the door for handguns and other important items.

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    Thompson safe co in Frederick treated me right and doesn't sell junk...
    I have thought about looking into snap safe, but don't know much about them other than what the internet says

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Looking for a Gun Safe. What do you guys recommend??? Not trying to break the bank, but I dont want junk either. I would prefer American Made!

Lets here you Pros and Cons.

I searched safes and got could not find a thread.

Thanks

Not enough information.

What would I recommend depends on what you need, how worried you are of fire and/or theft, how much you want to spend, how much your "collection" is worth, where you see yourself headed in the next decade "collection" wise, and the list goes on.

I like Browning and American Security (AMSEC). I like the Browning because of the way the front door is laid out on the inside and AMSEC for the pricepoint. However, there is Liberty, Fort Knox, Cannon (at Costco), Field & Stream (at Dicks), Winchester (at Tractor Supply). You can look at some Brownings at Bass Pro. Believe Bass Pro has them in the same size, but different trim lines (e.g., more theft and fire proofing).

After all that, please do not tell me that you were talking about a pistol safe. lol

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I got a Liberty from Dave at A-1 Safes in Fallston that I really like. Whatever brand you go with, get one size larger than what you think you need/want. Trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Check out steel water safes. Nice balance of price and fire protection. I bought one instead of another liberty the second time around. They also have scratch and dent ones, which I got that have neither scratches nor dents that I can find.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    It's important to keep in mind that fire proof safes are very different than fire retardant safes, no gun safes are fire proof. If you have a fire bad enough to worry about needing a couple of sheets of drywall in the safe as fire retardant, your guns are probably ruined either way.

Get a quality safe, past a certain price point they are all pretty good but don't be tempted to protect thousands of dollars in guns with hundreds of dollars of safe that's really a glorified locker.

Safes are deterrents. Given enough time and especially with tools, all safes will fail. You are buying time and preventing smash-and-grab loss. Read up on lag bolting, protecting the back, and all the best practices like hiding it (as much as possible) to make it as difficult as you can to defeat.

Get one at least twice as large as what you think you need. 24-gun is really 12-gun "comfortably"... you want to be able to get stuff out of the back without unloading the whole thing. Plus, your collection will grow.

I'm pretty fond of my Zanotti safe, it comes apart in panels and was the only way I could get a decent safe of any size into my house. Still offers pretty good protection at a nice price point, but it's not as beefy as some out there.

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    I have a field and stream it's ok, I also have one of the safes that Thompson sells. .. it is one of the best safes I have ever seen. ..
    Like I said Thompson safe Co in Frederick sells great safes ... give them a call ans see what he has to say..
    Depending on your concerns, and depending on your budget and expectations. ...
    A really quality safe won't be found at a big box store. ...

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    Whatever you buy, buy it in October. For some reason, everyone puts their safes on sale at the same time. Really good sales too.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I got a Liberty from Dave at A-1 Safes in Fallston that I really like. Whatever brand you go with, get one size larger than what you think you need/want. Trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll second Dave. Good prices and reasonable delivery if needed compared to others I priced. And get bigger than you think you need. I'm limited by space:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom