• jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    107859d1361464119-women-guns-there-anything-scarier-hottiegun11.jpg

Just thought I would ass..k :lol2:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Not a fan of ivory grips for a variety of reasons, find the process a little distasteful. Its banned from trade, and frankly when dealing with something like this purchases of pre-ban stuff can drive up prices (sort of like some other things) helping to prop up illegal markets as an alternative.

Would I walk away from something verifiably antique with original grips probably not, but I would be very hesitant to buy anything close to modern even if verified as pre-trade aban. Unless it was mammoth ivory or something ($$$$$$ in any size).

If you do partake, make sure you get documentation that it is pre-1989

http://gregcbrownblog.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/can-you-own-buy-and-sell-elephant-ivory-in-the-us/

By the way, Ill pass on the grips but take the hips.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Ivory has a similarity to women. If the ivory has been around long enough its fine, if its too new you go to jail.

Seriously, I don't know when the ban started but as long as it was imported (I've heard 89)before the ban you are good to go.

Ironically, anything newer than 89 is a no go for a guy as old as me anyhow.

silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    Ivory is probably frowned upon, mostly.
    Of course if you use it exclusively to piss off tree hugging liberal PETA members...we'll give you a pass.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I collect scrimshaw and have the same issue. My understanding is that "Old" Ivory (Ivory that was legally harvested before the international bans on whaling or elephant hunting) is OK. Ivory harvested from illegally harvested animals is contraband. Also there are legal sources of ivory-like material. I have a scrimshaw piece that was done on a Boar's tooth. Not as pretty and white as whale or elephant ivory, but still an interesting piece in my collection.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Yes I agree, you should be fine so long as you are not doing something shady and getting it from outside the US or something like that.

I have never understood the Ivory thing... I love the feel of Ivory, great product. You have very poor people with a natural resource like Ivory, and they ban the sale and burn that is taken illegal. Makes no sense to me.... Ok the old method is not good, granted. Reminds me of people who would kill 100s of ducks at once with huge shotguns... Yes eventually you will kill them all and thats not good. So they totally ban the sale and create a huge black market. Now people are getting killed "protecting" the ivory but people are still killing young elephants for it. Why don't they start looking at Ivory like a crop... Granted I don't know much about elephants but if you could breed them or even just track them and then remove the Ivory at a point where its least destructive... it would help the poor, supply Ivory to the world and stop the black market! Maybe this can't be done? But I don't understand what is stopping it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom