• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    I thought that this should be shared with our membership. I assume that he means, and votes, as he states.

I want to thank you for contacting me regarding legislation that could potentially affect firearm ownership and our Second Amendment rights. Your input is extremely helpful as I make decisions on issues that come before the General Assembly.

As you know, Governor O’Malley recently outlined his gun control proposals. His intent is to push through legislation which could leave law abiding citizens defenseless. We are currently planning strategy through a bi-partisan team of legislators to defend our inalienable rights and defeat the Governor’s misguided attempts to stop criminal acts of violence. I will oppose any legislation that infringes on our Constitutional right to bear arms or places any restrictions on our ability to freely protect ourselves, family and property.

The Firearm Safety Act of 2013, Senate Bill 281 cross-filed with House Bill 294, held a public hearing on February 6, 2013 in the Senate Judiciary Committee in which over 800 people signed up to testify in opposition for this bill. There was also a rally held the same day at Lawyers Mall in Annapolis when nearly a thousand citizens from all across Maryland came together to support their Second Amendment Rights. Despite the large amount of opposition and all of the Senate’s efforts to defeat, this bill passed on the Senate Floor on February 28th and moved to the House Judiciary Committee for debate. The House version of this bill, HB-294 held a public hearing Friday, March 1, 2013 in the Joint Hearing Room. For the March 1st Judiciary hearing, the committee had 1304 constituents in opposition and 32 constituents in support signed up to testify on this bill and I have received thousands of letters from constituents in the last few weeks opposing this bill. If this bill makes it to the House Floor, I will vote against.

We will also operate on the offense. Attorney General Gansler continues to delay enforcement of the 2010 decision that struck down the good and substantial requirement to obtain a permit to carry. I will once again support legislation (House Bill 38) that requires the State Police to issue handgun permits to law abiding citizens by establishing a presumption that the applicant qualifies for a handgun permit and repealing the good and substantial reason clause. The Judiciary Committee has assigned a public hearing date of March 5, 2013 on this bill.

In response to concerns regarding school safety, I have also co-sponsored legislation (House Bill 165) that will place a County School Resource Officer in each school with funding for these officers to come from State gambling revenues. I think it is important to ensure local control of school security as opposed to a federally mandated system. This bill was introduced on January 18, 2013 and held a public hearing date on March 1, 2013. The Senate version (SB 807) of this bill has a public hearing scheduled for February 28, 2013 in the Senate Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee.

It is my personal view that any infringement and reduction in rights provided by the Constitution should be of concern and a source of trepidation for any citizen. We will need your support during the bill hearings and with a letter writing campaign to specific legislators on the House Judiciary and Senate Judicial Proceedings committees.

We will continue to stay in touch with you. Please continue to share your views with me because it is important to include concerned citizens like you in the legislative process. Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

Stephen S. Hershey, Jr.

Maryland House of Delegates

District 36 – Upper Shore:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I am pretty sure that all Eastern Shore representatives up to Andy Harris are firmly on our side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom