• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I have a Kensight rear sight on my 1911. It has no set screw and appears to have been secured initially with red Loctite, but I'm not sure which one.. It has had fewer than 200 rounds through it. At the range last week it started drifting left with each shot.

Any recommendations for locking it down?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    If it is adjustable the set screw may be under the sight blade carrier. If it is no set screw then the sight trunion is too small or the dovetail in the slide is cut too large. More than red loctite should be securing the sight.
    If a new pistol a warranty trip is in order. If someone installed it for you, see them.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    If it is adjustable the set screw may be under the sight blade carrier. If it is no set screw then the sight trunion is too small or the dovetail in the slide is cut too large. More than red loctite should be securing the sight.
    If a new pistol a warranty trip is in order. If someone installed it for you, see them.

Once the sight worked loose, I could slide it out to the left or the right easily. Inside the dovetail there is a red residue that I assume is LocTite. I agree that the dovetail is too large and/or the trunion is too small.

It is a new firearm modified by the custom shop that imports them. This isn't the only sloppy work they did on this one, so this will be the third trip back to them, all related to the custom work, not the basic firearm. In fairness to them, the trigger job was outstanding, the flared mag well was a work of art, and the barrel crowning was impressive. But the Bubba who did the sights and polished the feed ramp needs some serious training and a lot more experience.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The usual way to fix this is, if it is VERY loose, to use a prick punch of raise some dimples to tighten it.

Then, or only, peen the dovetail edge into the sight base to lock it in place.

Any of the IP gunsmiths should be able to do this quickly.

I had an early ParaOrdnance, where they milled the slot too big, and then epoxied the rear sight in place. It broke loose and fell out during a USPSA match. :)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That's a bummer...
    There are also "rescue" sights available in a few styles. But the OP commissioned a service and it wasn't correctly performed.
    OP, does the bottom or trunion sides look like those places were filed?

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I have removed a dovetailed rear sight, drilled it, tapped it and put in a set screw. A bit of a hassle, but it worked. Less hassle than sending to factory in my opinion.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    The custom shop called me today to clarify the nature of the problem. They are going to "make it good". They confirmed that the sight was secured with a set screw and LocTite, so the screw must be under the sight blade carrier and not easily accessible.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    The custom shop called me today to clarify the nature of the problem. They are going to "make it good". They confirmed that the sight was secured with a set screw and LocTite, so the screw must be under the sight blade carrier and not easily accessible.

I'm betting they forgot the set screw. You can screw out the elevation screw and flip the carrier up and see if it's there. Just be careful of the wee springs in there.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I'm betting they forgot the set screw. You can screw out the elevation screw and flip the carrier up and see if it's there. Just be careful of the wee springs in there.

Thanks. I'll do that in the bathroom where an errant spring can be found if it gets away. First I'll close the toilet lid and the sink and tub drains.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Do it with the slide inside a gallon sized zip-loc bag, limits how far springs/detents can go flying off to. ;)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Also a great trick when assembling AR lowers, w/out the buffer tube in place.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've worked on more than one loose sight, and peening the slide and/or the rear sight is the LAST thing I'd tell anyone to do. (Unless they've successfully done it, several times!)

You can easily SHIM the bottom of the rear sight dovetail, using either shim stock (Brownell's) or by cutting a very small piece of feeler gauge that you place in the bottom of the dovetail, then using a BRASS punch or sight installation tool, put the rear sight back in place.

You'd be surprised at what .002" feeler gauge will tighten up.

IF you're going to disassemble the sight from the slide, clean out that adhesive (Locktite) and when you re-install, do NOT use Red Locktite. Red is permanent (supposedly.)

I'd recommend "Green" Locktite. It's more or less permanent, but, you don't need "heat" to remove, like you do with "Red".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom