• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    So what do you consider a "real safe"?

TL-15 or above. Just as an example I was looking at a TL-15 last year and it was about the same size as my Sturdy but 2+ times the weight. Sturdy makes a good RSC but its nothing compared to an actual safe. 7 gauge steel is still really thin. I augmented the security of my sturdy by tearing down a small closet in my basement, installed the safe and then rebuilt the closet around the safe. Its near impossible (short of tearing down the wall) to pry on the door and it would be tough to wield most common robber tools in the closet. When my parents get all their junk out of my garage I am getting a gang box for any of my tools that can be used to open my own safe. :)

Lackasafe doesn't have any good affordable TL-15 or TL-30 safes in stock at the moment to use as an example but I just take a look every few weeks just to see how the prices are so I can judge what I need to save money wise. Hopefully they will get more in stock this summer. It looks like right now they have an abundance of TLTR monsters in stock but they are around $8.5k for a decent gun safe sized one. Take off the TR (torch rated) and the prices are usually half that. Personally I just want a tool rated (TL), if someone wants to heat lance or plasma cut my safe they can have whatever is left inside. If money wasn't an option but I still wanted to keep it reasonable, this would work: :D http://www.lackasafe.com/products/used-safes-specials/pre-owned-sls-6325-trtl30x6-high-security-safe

I have a Sturdy fire lined 2723. The outside looks great and the fit and finish of the door is excellent. It locks up tight and swings easily. Make sure you have them dimple the floor if you don't have them pre cut the floor to expose the bolt down anchor sleeves. Mine didn't have dimples to locate the sleeves in the floor which was a pain. A few emails went back and forth to Sturdy and they gave me the exact dimensions and I used a hammer to help find the sleeves. I then had to use a couple different drill bit sizes to slowly enlarge the hole without hitting the sleeves to much.

I think AMSEC makes some gun specific UL listed safes.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Thompsons Safes have a real nice superior for under $3000.00.
    Way more than a RSC but not a graffunder. It's nice. :thumbsup:
    Give them a call

Jul 1, 2012
    What's similar in price and quality to a Sturdy but that actually looks nice?

A Sturdy with the optional paint.
    They also changed from the old light gray paint to a darker speckled color as the basic scheme.
    Or... some folks just paint it themselves and/or pinstripe, add decals, etc to make it look fancy.

Clif

Dec 3, 2012
    I have a Heritage, from Safe Depot division of Continental Arms. Very nice folks: I was building a new house when I ordered it and they kept it on their floor for over 9 months to save the cost of moving it. And yes, if you have anything smaller than 10 ga. you MUST lockup your tools also. I have a friend who had his el-cheapo opened with his own circular saw.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Wow... that Die bold is something else!

I have a quote for Sturdy with some modifications. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom