• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    IMHO (best to lead with that I suppose) the NRA is the single most effective pro-gun organization in the country. There is a reason NRA is synonymous with "pro-gun villain" in the eyes of any progressive and the MSM.

There are a number of national organizations that don't impress me... but I don't bash them in public. It is a waste of time, energy and breath to criticize those who are on our side when there are so many against us. And as for NRA not always being highly visible, some of the most important fights are not always the most visible. Shannon, NRA liason for MD, was at just about every function I attended prior to SB281 being rammed through. The NRA was, and is, there, but as someone said earlier, it is up to us, the voters, to get these clowns out of office. If you think your vote is useless, then take one of the courses offered by Campaign for Liberty on how to punish office holders that oppress the people through legislation like this.

One small example of the NRA working quietly behind the scenes; if you look through the abomination called Obamacare, the ACA, you will find 2 pages in there specifically prohibiting physicians from inquiring about firearms owned or possessed by the patient. That was a growing concern around the time of that bill. Does anyone here really believe that Obama's minions got that inserted? Protesting, yelling and shouting is one way to get things done but it should not be the only way.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    IMHO (best to lead with that I suppose) the NRA is the single most effective pro-gun organization in the country. There is a reason NRA is synonymous with "pro-gun villain" in the eyes of any progressive and the MSM.

There are a number of national organizations that don't impress me... but I don't bash them in public. It is a waste of time, energy and breath to criticize those who are on our side when there are so many against us. And as for NRA not always being highly visible, some of the most important fights are not always the most visible. Shannon, NRA liason for MD, was at just about every function I attended prior to SB281 being rammed through. The NRA was, and is, there, but as someone said earlier, it is up to us, the voters, to get these clowns out of office. If you think your vote is useless, then take one of the courses offered by Campaign for Liberty on how to punish office holders that oppress the people through legislation like this.

One small example of the NRA working quietly behind the scenes; if you look through the abomination called Obamacare, the ACA, you will find 2 pages in there specifically prohibiting physicians from inquiring about firearms owned or possessed by the patient. That was a growing concern around the time of that bill. Does anyone here really believe that Obama's minions got that inserted? Protesting, yelling and shouting is one way to get things done but it should not be the only way.
    Interesting because it was after Obama care that I was first asked about guns by my Doctor.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Do you really think more phone calls, posters, advertisements, and testimony would have stopped SB281? Were you actually in Annapolis in 2013 to see what was going on? I can't believe you were based on your post.

We did a LOT to change the bill as originally written. Go look at the first iteration of the bill. It was orders of magnitude worse than what actually passed. The only thing that can change the course of the MDGA is for Marylanders to wake up and vote for people who actually respect the Constitution. Most of the politicians could care less about the Constitution, as long as their seat is safe. There were some who did not like the bill, but voted for it anyway because O'Malley threatened to remove funding for various things in their districts if they did not go with him.

Thanks for the replies and answers. I was doing my part of emails, phone calls, letters, and talking to every neighbor and person that would listen about this situation as well as donating and sending packages to our troops and wounded warriors, so please don't put yourselves up on a pedestal and try to talk down on me unless you know the whole story. I was not in Annapolis...I had two small children and a sick mother to help take care of as well as working up to 80hrs a WEEK. Someone had to stay back and work to pay taxes while some of you were able to enjoy yourselves in Annapolis;) That being said, if someone is going to call me looking for donations, then I would at least like for them to actually have some knowledge of what they are talking about instead of reading it verbatim from a screen. In my opinion, which doesn't mean anything, especially here, we were only given what "Owe"Malley wanted to give us regardless of what anyone or organization did. Some people think that since we get to cash and carry a HBar AR 15 (even though the definition of HBar still isn't clear) or since the other iterations of the original bill were changed or taken out that we won something. Sorry, but I would bet that they already had the final copy drafted and just threw the original iteration out there so when they came out with the final copy of FSA 2013,it would make us feel like we won something and please the crowd. Sorry, but to me we lost the whole pie and were thrown only crumbs.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    i can answer that.

the phone calls and thousands that showed up happened because the NRA was helping with robocalls, news stories and email alerts.

the NRA lobbyists, along with local lobbyists, helped squash sb281 as origianlly written. but a certain o'malley needed to check off a few progressive boxes on his presidential job application.

the NRA is funding and guiding the current lawsuit challenging the sb281 magazine and rifle bans, and it looks promising.

Thank you for the information:thumbsup:

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Interesting because it was after Obama care that I was first asked about guns by my Doctor.

Yep. Like I said, it was starting to become a problem right around that time. The text describing this is on pages 2037-2039 in the following link.

http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/rights/law/patient-protection.pdf

And BTW, this clearly shows, on the first couple sentences of the first page, how this piece of legislation was passed without a single republican vote, by gutting a house bill and filling it with the ACA.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks for the replies and answers. I was doing my part of emails, phone calls, letters, and talking to every neighbor and person that would listen about this situation as well as donating and sending packages to our troops and wounded warriors, so please don't put yourselves up on a pedestal and try to talk down on me unless you know the whole story. I was not in Annapolis...I had two small children and a sick mother to help take care of as well as working up to 80hrs a WEEK. Someone had to stay back and work to pay taxes while some of you were able to enjoy yourselves in Annapolis;) That being said, if someone is going to call me looking for donations, then I would at least like for them to actually have some knowledge of what they are talking about instead of reading it verbatim from a screen. In my opinion, which doesn't mean anything, especially here, we were only given what "Owe"Malley wanted to give us regardless of what anyone or organization did. Some people think that since we get to cash and carry a HBar AR 15 (even though the definition of HBar still isn't clear) or since the other iterations of the original bill were changed or taken out that we won something. Sorry, but I would bet that they already had the final copy drafted and just threw the original iteration out there so when they came out with the final copy of FSA 2013,it would make us feel like we won something and please the crowd. Sorry, but to me we lost the whole pie and were thrown only crumbs.
    I pay plenty of taxes, and gave up many thousands of dollars in billing, paying for gas, tolls, parking etc. to be in Annapolis (a lot) to help make the changes. Many of us spent hours of our time talking with legislators to make these changes. People were there until 3 in the morning testifying before the house. You admonish me for not knowing "the whole story", then admit you were not in Annapolis to see anything that happened. Do you find it hypocritical that you then go on to give your opinion on something you don't know anything that happened because you weren't there? Nobody is putting themselves on a pedestal, what we did is a statement of fact. I totally understand that family comes before anything, but taking a dump on people's efforts isn't so nice.

Last edited:

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Yep, for the OP to state that the NRA wasn't active in our fight against st SB281 shows a total lack of knowledge on the subject. It definitely shows that he didn't attend even a single hearing of voting session in Annapolis or that he even followed the proceedings on this forum. We know who was there to fight for us and we know what our personal cost were also.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And with the political landscape in Md , a high profile presence of the NRA would create a counter productive backlash from our opponents. In Maryland , the NRA can be most helpful to us operating behind the scenes.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    Yep, for the OP to state that the NRA wasn't active in our fight against st SB281 shows a total lack of knowledge on the subject. It definitely shows that he didn't attend even a single hearing of voting session in Annapolis or that he even followed the proceedings on this forum. We know who was there to fight for us and we know what our personal cost were also.

Well its kinda hard to attend when your 1200 miles away, but the bottom line it still passed despite everyones efforts (which I recall were very extensive).

The point of the post was I remember that it only passed after a revote was cast.

I was just curious on the progress, if any, to get it reversed.

I'm a life long NRA member, and I say they are uselss. Unless of course you are a FUDD and shoot a 20 gauge. 7N6 ban...crickets, the list is endless.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well its kinda hard to attend when your 1200 miles away, but the bottom line it still passed despite everyones efforts (which I recall were very extensive).

The point of the post was I remember that it only passed after a revote was cast.

I'm a life long NRA member, and I say they are uselss. Unless of course you are a FUDD and shoot a 20 gauge. 7N6 ban...crickets, the list is endless.

You are entitled to your opinion. I was 1200 miles closer, and I have a different opinion. ;)

To get it reversed, we need R majorities in the House and Senate.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD

The NRA doesn't spend a lot of money on useless battles. They pick their fights appropriately. There was no way SB-281 was not going to pass. They are a successful and effective organization because of this strategy. Don't listen to everything you hear on the Gunbroker forums.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

It was NOT passed in its original form. You make it sound like the MD pro2 crowd just rolled over on O'Malley-Frosh-Raskin's wishes

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    It was NOT passed in its original form. You make it sound like the MD pro2 crowd just rolled over on O'Malley-Frosh-Raskin's wishes

I'm not making it sound like anything.

Direct your anger where it should be, which is Annapolis.

Just curious as to what is going to be done to reverse it.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I'm not making it sound like anything.

Direct your anger where it should be, which is Annapolis.

Just curious as to what is going to be done to reverse it.

From a legislative standpoint, nothing was done to reverse it this year as the bills never made it past the chairman. In the courts, the ban on "Assault Rifles" and the "High Capacity Magazines" is currently waiting for a decision by the 4th Circuit in Richmond. It has been about 6 weeks since oral arguments and we are probably looking at another 6 weeks before anything is finalized.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    From a legislative standpoint, nothing was done to reverse it this year as the bills never made it past the chairman. In the courts, the ban on "Assault Rifles" and the "High Capacity Magazines" is currently waiting for a decision by the 4th Circuit in Richmond. It has been about 6 weeks since oral arguments and we are probably looking at another 6 weeks before anything is finalized.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Feb 28, 2013
    I pay plenty of taxes, and gave up many thousands of dollars in billing, paying for gas, tolls, parking etc. to be in Annapolis (a lot) to help make the changes. Many of us spent hours of our time talking with legislators to make these changes. People were there until 3 in the morning testifying before the house. You admonish me for not knowing "the whole story", then admit you were not in Annapolis to see anything that happened. Do you find it hypocritical that you then go on to give your opinion on something you don't know anything that happened because you weren't there? Nobody is putting themselves on a pedestal, what we did is a statement of fact. I totally understand that family comes before anything, but taking a dump on people's efforts isn't so nice.

That's true.

But the cynic in me can't help but agree with the latter part of his statement. Your efforts were certainly worthy of salutations, but I think the fix was in before anyone even went to Annapolis to testify. :sad20:

Stockholm Syndrome is an easy trap for MD gun owners. We know that BGOS certainly is. Others may forget the shit sandwich we were fed in the name of Malley's presidental aspirations. I won't.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Not to SB281, but there was positive legislation: The fired casing law was revoked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom