• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tunasalad

Aug 27, 2013
    Hey, sorry if this is a stupid question, but is this VEPR 5.45 legal to buy in MD?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...74-rifle-5-45x39-russian-detail.html?Itemid=0

* AK-47 in all forms

* Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format (notice that it only says rifles)

My thinking is that the VEPR 5.45, with its 'sporter' furniture, meets these requirements exactly as well as the VEPR 7.62x54r, which I can buy in MD.

Though, maybe it's different because it's similar to an actual service rifle or something.

Thanks!

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Really depends on who you ask. Some say banned due to "ak in any format" and some say legal cash & carry rifle as long as it's in import sporter configuration.

Once converted to standard AK config, definitely banned :(

tunasalad

Aug 27, 2013
    Thanks for the input!

What exactly do you mean by 'standard AK format?' Furniture?

I think it takes standard AK-74 mags. Is that relevant?

Feb 28, 2013
    Engage won't sell them but Duffy's will.

Apparently "sporting" configuration, that is being in a configuration that would make them legal for import by the Gospel according to George "Hog Wash" Bush, makes them somehow okay to sell.

They don't take standard AK mags, and I believe the butthole stock has to stay on it.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    If it is in its imported sporter configuration it is legal. This applies to all guns on the banned list not just AK's.

Of course the federal law changed in 1998 banning the ability to use normal capacity mags in imported guns. That means guns imported between 1989 and 1998, although neutered cosmetically, are now considered "assault weapons" under federal and Maryland law because they can take normal mags which is a big no-no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom